By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2018 thread

PAOerfulone said:
The PS4 managed to finish slightly up YoY in U.S. from 5304k to 5330k, so the incredible 1st party support this year + RDR2 made a difference in one region at least.

On Era they are saying it's down 2% YoY, not that it matters, its statistical noise so essentially flat for the year which is pretty damn good for the 5th year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Price cuts incoming. Hopefully.

Switch quite a bit below expectations for most predictors here. PS4 and XB1 slightly below expectations for most here.

Quite the sad month.

As for me, Switch is spot on to my expectations, while the PS4 and XB1 did terribly. Quite the collapse they had this month.

Rather bad numbers all around. Basically everything is way below expectations, and both PS4 and XBO numbers are really bad for a December. I mean, when was the last time either did below 1M in December?

zorg1000 said:
PAOerfulone said:
The PS4 managed to finish slightly up YoY in U.S. from 5304k to 5330k, so the incredible 1st party support this year + RDR2 made a difference in one region at least.

On Era they are saying it's down 2% YoY, not that it matters, its statistical noise so essentially flat for the year which is pretty damn good for the 5th year.

So about 50K difference? Statistically speaking, that's nothing,but in real terms, that's still a lot.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Rather bad numbers all around. Basically everything is way below expectations, and both PS4 and XBO numbers are really bad for a December. I mean, when was the last time either did below 1M in December?

Even though it did less than expected, Switch had the best month of any console/handheld in 8 years so I dont see how that can be considered bad.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

YTD 2017

PS4: 5.46M
XB1: 4.29M

YTD 2018

PS4: 5.33M (-2%)
XB1: 4.34M (+1%)

zorg1000 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Even though it did less than expected, Switch had the best month of any console/handheld in 8 years so I dont see how that can be considered bad.

Yeah, expectations have been badly skewed by the hype.  1.77 to 1.8 mil is big.  Markedly bigger than the PS4's best December.  And Switch's Nov+Dec 2018 has tied PS4's 2015.  It is a strong performance.

Slightly disappointing Switch numbers with the huge Smash release.

PS4 & XBO: So, this is our full potential?
Super Kami Guru: Yep.
PS4 & XBO: So then it's...
Super Kami Guru: ALL DOWNHILL FROM HEEEEERE.
PS4 & XBO: Like the Wii U.
Super Kami Guru: I don't know what this 'Wii U' is... But it sounds disappointing.

zorg1000 said:
NSW-2.25m
XBO-1.1m
PS4-900k

Actual

NSW-1.77m

XBO-920k

PS4-800k