By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia Gets SALTY

Well it's not some finely crafted press release, it's an interview with a competitive guy who's having some fun at the expense of his rival and their seemingly pointless next round of hardware.

Doesn't come across as salty to me... almost seems more like a victory lap from a guy who knows what's coming.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
DonFerrari said:
And they will be extra salty with PS5 and Scarlet being AMD powered again and doing good sales plus having good performance for console side.

For their prospective probably while ps and xb move a lot of units, console chips have very thin margins compared to graphics cards and laptops gpus.

Mind me, I don't have anything against AMD, but PS and Xbox use their chips not because they're superior to Nividia's but only because they're chepaer.

Not only because they are cheaper. They are cheaper for that performance envelope.

And certainly the margins are thin. But it grants a stable and good revenue stream. And just on the money flow it creates a lot of leverage and gain of scale that they can use to finance other technologies and recover their position (AMD).

As console customer, knowing they won't make a 2000 USD box, I rather they get the best possible GPU under 200 USD cost and with the CPU and GPU into a single chip they gain a little more on the cost for best performance per money expend.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:

Look at what AMD did with their new Ryzen chips.
They beat out the Intel 9900k (which is 180watt+) and do so at 130watts.

They just had a massive improvement in perf/watt (for their cpu line), and at the same time finally managed to beat intel in cpu performance.

Uh, what? The Ryzen 2700X is almost certainly better value for money than a 9900K, but the latter is pretty decisively ahead performance-wise.

If you're talking about the new third-generation Zen chips they announced, I think it'd probably be best to wait until there are benchmarks from someone other than AMD themselves before making that sort of claim.

JRPGfan said:
Conina said:

Why do you think that?

Radeon VI will be more efficient than a Vega 64, but it will use the better efficiency to push more pixels and polygons than the Vega 64, not to deliver the same performance with less power consumption:

I think perf/watt will massively be improved with the Radeon VII compaired to the RX Vega 64.

They just had a massive improvement in perf/watt (for their cpu line), and at the same time finally managed to beat intel in cpu performance.

Only 25% improvement at the same power according to AMD themselves. And since the performance improvements compared to the Vega64 are more than 25%, I doubt that it will consume less power than the Vega64:

Azzanation said:
Salty yes, truth also yes. Nvidea is light years ahead of AMD at this stage.

I think most people didn't actually watch that presentation or don't fully understand the Radeon VII.

The Radeon VII isn't just a Vega in 7nm, as it improves far more than just the clock speed. The clock speed increases by 10-15% while framerates increase almost throughout by 20-35%, and that's despite lacking 4CU. That brings the card to about RTX 2080 level in terms of FPS.

However, this Radeon is more of a Prosumer card like NVidias Titan line originally was. The latest Titan however has those capabilities locked in the Driver to force those interested in this to shell out for a Quadro or Tesla GPU. For anybody who uses OCL or FP64 and can't afford any of these professional GPUs this card is a godsend.

I can understand that from a pure gamer standpoint the GPU is disappointing, but for those Navi will come later down the line. But for those who use their GPU not just to play, but also for work, this is a very good offering.

Around the Network
OlfinBedwere said:
JRPGfan said:

Uh, what? The Ryzen 2700X is almost certainly better value for money than a 9900K, but the latter is pretty decisively ahead performance-wise.

If you're talking about the new third-generation Zen chips they announced, I think it'd probably be best to wait until there are benchmarks from someone other than AMD themselves before making that sort of claim.

Yes Im not talking about the 2700x but their upcomeing 3000 series of ryzen chips.

Anyways gaming is where Intel has the biggest lead and even here its like 8% differnce:
https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i9_9900K/images/relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

the 3000 series of Ryzen will beat out the 9900k in gaming benchmarks too I suspect.

I'm not seeing the logic here. What is he supposedly salty about?

shikamaru317 said:

In the end, AMD gets the last laugh, it's looking like they got the contract for both Xbox Scarlett and PS5, so that is basically 160m+ APU's they just sold next gen.

Was that ever seriously in doubt, though? nVidia has never made x86 CPUs, and neither Sony nor Microsoft seem in any hurry to change architectures again, so that basically ruled them out from the word go.

What nVidia does have is Nintendo and the Switch - and until AMD manages to come up with something that's really competitive on a power/performance basis, they can just sit there in their own little niche and let AMD service the main console market.

Even though Vega VII is underwhelming, it has the same die size as a GP104 so on the bright side there's at least some progress in perf/area even though it also has useless features for gaming like half rate FP64 profile and deep learning specific instructions ...

True, Yes. Salty, No. Because the bulk of the sales will be the cards competing with the 2070, 2060 on down.