By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Re2 would've been better with the classic camera

The aiming is not crucial in the classic game, 'cause it's auto-aiming

Around the Network

Well, I'd watch someone play resident evil remake for the first time last year. It was their first ever RE game. It was not a fun experience at all.

Tank controls and fixed camera angles take a certain appreciation, and it's not always welcomed. Especially not to people who have 0 nostalgic ties to the system, or forgot that's how Resident Evil was. Both of those things came about because of limitations of the hardware.

Fixed camera angles were for graphical reasons. The games could have higher polygon counts on the characters, and have the backgrounds look better than anything else on the console. The internet wasn't a big place, and not everyone understood what pre-rendered backgrounds were about.

Not to mention, if you've played a game like tomb raider, on PS1, and then Resident Evil, Resident Evil felt smoother. It came during a time when companies didn't know entirely what to do with 3D space, and the hardware was limited. Compared to what else was around in the 90s, resident evil was great. Compared to what's around today, a resident evil with emulated hardware limitations would make the game frustrating.

Not too long ago, (ok, so 4 years ago, about) I went back and played Resident Evil 2 on a combination of my PS3, and PS Vita. Really enjoyed it. But, I've seen first hand how new people can really find 0 enjoyment of the older games. Pre-renders isn't necessary. Neither are tank controls, or loading times.

RE2 would sell so much worse if the gameplay wasn't updated to match standards, and expectations of 3D games that we just didn't have during that era of consoles. Most of those games just didn't age well at all. Meanwhile games on the generation prior have, simply because we knew how to make 2D games.

Now I haven't played a RE game in ages, and haven't played RE 1 and 2 since they where released. But for me I really liked the 2nd person view of the originals (even if it came out of performance contraints), not to many games does 2nd person view.
What I didn't like are the tank controlls of the originals.

Spindel said:
Now I haven't played a RE game in ages, and haven't played RE 1 and 2 since they where released. But for me I really liked the 2nd person view of the originals (even if it came out of performance contraints), not to many games does 2nd person view.
What I didn't like are the tank controlls of the originals.

2nd person view is the perspective of the target... in RE the perspective of the zombies/infected looking at the player.

RE1, 2, 3, 0 and RE1 HD are all third person with fixed cameras.

jamesmarkus87 said:
I'm going to love Resident Evil 2. Unfortunately, I can tell that A LOT of other people won't. When the game gets released, I fully expect to see a 4.8 user score on Metacritic (and it will probably be even lower for Xbox One). The general comment for the 0's. 1's, 2's, and 3's will be "Screw you, Crapcom. All you needed to do was remake this game like RE1 on Gamecube. Instead, you decided to give it a 3rd person view like RE 4, 5, and 6." I'm already seeing plenty of comments just like this in the "Reviews" tab for the RE 2 demo on Xbox Live.

Good news for you !

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/resident-evil-2

Around the Network

I've been playing RE since the beginning but I was tired of the old school style during RE3 and especially Code Veronica on Dreamcast.

I admit I had fun replaying REMake and Zero in recent years but I don't want to go back to that. Especially the inaccurate aiming system. It's just harder to get your bearings in a game where left turns right, forward is backwards, etc.

d21lewis said:
I've been playing RE since the beginning but I was tired of the old school style during RE3 and especially Code Veronica on Dreamcast.

I admit I had fun replaying REMake and Zero in recent years but I don't want to go back to that. Especially the inaccurate aiming system. It's just harder to get your bearings in a game where left turns right, forward is backwards, etc.

You dont want to go back to tank controls, well I dont want to go back to single player after playing RE5, 6, and Rev2!

I feel like Capcom needs to add in these extra feature that they've made us accustomed to.  Like add in options for tank controls for the classic feel, a second player online and split-screen (the second player can just be a nobody that doesn't connect with the story but just to have), and First Person view for all of those that enjoyed RE7.