By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Software 8th December 2018: Smash Week!

Incredible first week for Smash. And Crash slowly crawling to the million puts a smile on my face :)

But the real surprise is Mario Party!! Wow



Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

coming up to Christmas Labo is gonna make a great present for under the tree, big box, toy to play with and a game for the Switch, it really ticks all the boxes for a Christmas Present, the only way it could be a better match is if it came with chocolate joycons.

Those Smash sales though.... incredible, and also keep in mind that this game was in the top 10 charts on the eshop for about a month before launch, so... yeah digital sales are gonna be crazy high as well.

Yeah it may not have been the next Wii Fit but it looks like the whole much-maligned "sales will pick up in the Christmas season" thing was actually true. The Variety Kit should pass a million sold through before Christmas.

Well Wii Fit sort of had use for the whole family, "it'll stop gran dying" kinda thing, but Labo is more just "it'll stop little Jimmy dying while playing fortnite" I wonder how much time / energy Nintendo spent on the whole Labo project though? was it something they were working on for a few years or just a short term "this is something else the Switch can do" sort of project. The graphics of the software being basic enough could mean it wasn't that huge a dev time or that it was in production for WiiU but them shifted over to Switch late on in life with emphasis on the building aspect of it than the software itself.

 

Still though when I imagine older people going into a shop trying to get that "and a surprise" on the list from Santa they're going to know that their kid doesn't have a big cardboard robot for the Switch or Starlink, both of those should have done well over the holiday season but I'd think that Starlink launching at 100 for the deluxe ed really killed that before it could get out the gate.



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah it may not have been the next Wii Fit but it looks like the whole much-maligned "sales will pick up in the Christmas season" thing was actually true. The Variety Kit should pass a million sold through before Christmas.

Well Wii Fit sort of had use for the whole family, "it'll stop gran dying" kinda thing, but Labo is more just "it'll stop little Jimmy dying while playing fortnite" I wonder how much time / energy Nintendo spent on the whole Labo project though? was it something they were working on for a few years or just a short term "this is something else the Switch can do" sort of project. The graphics of the software being basic enough could mean it wasn't that huge a dev time or that it was in production for WiiU but them shifted over to Switch late on in life with emphasis on the building aspect of it than the software itself.

Still though when I imagine older people going into a shop trying to get that "and a surprise" on the list from Santa they're going to know that their kid doesn't have a big cardboard robot for the Switch or Starlink, both of those should have done well over the holiday season but I'd think that Starlink launching at 100 for the deluxe ed really killed that before it could get out the gate.

Yeah I can't imagine LABO being an expensive thing to develop, the production values are very modest and it wouldn't have needed to sell very much to make a profit.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Well Wii Fit sort of had use for the whole family, "it'll stop gran dying" kinda thing, but Labo is more just "it'll stop little Jimmy dying while playing fortnite" I wonder how much time / energy Nintendo spent on the whole Labo project though? was it something they were working on for a few years or just a short term "this is something else the Switch can do" sort of project. The graphics of the software being basic enough could mean it wasn't that huge a dev time or that it was in production for WiiU but them shifted over to Switch late on in life with emphasis on the building aspect of it than the software itself.

Still though when I imagine older people going into a shop trying to get that "and a surprise" on the list from Santa they're going to know that their kid doesn't have a big cardboard robot for the Switch or Starlink, both of those should have done well over the holiday season but I'd think that Starlink launching at 100 for the deluxe ed really killed that before it could get out the gate.

Yeah I can't imagine LABO being an expensive thing to develop, the production values are very modest and it wouldn't have needed to sell very much to make a profit.

+ taken care of a lot of cardboard waste from Nintendo warehouses! Win/Win!



Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

So 7 titles in top 20 are from one company alone, and that is one one single platform (!). Is there any other company that can even compare to that?



Around the Network

Smash is soon going to be the best selling game on Switch



Spindel said:
So 7 titles in top 20 are from one company alone, and that is one one single platform (!). Is there any other company that can even compare to that?

 Oops. S'late. Misread your post.



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Spindel said:
So 7 titles in top 20 are from one company alone, and that is one one single platform (!). Is there any other company that can even compare to that?

It's not uncommon for either PS or Nintendo to have 7 titles in the top 10 on any given week.

He's talking about Nintendo-developed games, not any game on the Switch. I honestly doubt that Playstation 4 has ever had a week according to VGChartz where 7 Sony first party games were in the top 10 at once. Then again, not necessarily Sony's fault, their third party selection is more popular in general. 

In fact, Switch doesn't even have 7 titles in the top 10 in this week



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
COKTOE said:

It's not uncommon for either PS or Nintendo to have 7 titles in the top 10 on any given week.

He's talking about Nintendo-developed games, not any game on the Switch. I honestly doubt that Playstation 4 has ever had a week according to VGChartz where 7 Sony first party games were in the top 10 at once. Then again, not necessarily Sony's fault, their third party selection is more popular in general. 

In fact, Switch doesn't even have 7 titles in the top 10 in this week

Yeah, I caught my mistakes. S'late, but s'not that late. Thanks for capturing them forever though, quickdraw :)



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

He's talking about Nintendo-developed games, not any game on the Switch. I honestly doubt that Playstation 4 has ever had a week according to VGChartz where 7 Sony first party games were in the top 10 at once. Then again, not necessarily Sony's fault, their third party selection is more popular in general. 

In fact, Switch doesn't even have 7 titles in the top 10 in this week

Yeah, I caught my mistakes. S'late, but s'not that late. Thanks for capturing them forever though, quickdraw :)

Oh sh*t! If I delete my comment, and you modify your reply, we can erase both our mistakes