By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why did Jesus Christ sacrifice his self for you?

" find the relevant literature to see why scientists in those fields have come to the conclusion that gender and sex are different"

you'll also see people operating of off the same ideology claim the exact opposite, that women are sexually assaulted under patriarchy, for example, because they are biologically weaker than men, and they can do this and be defended because there's no demand for logical consistency

its largely bullshit constructed to fuel narratives that spurn on revolutionary ideology, the end goal is almost always to deconstruct western civilisation 

one group can be biologically weaker than another while still having sex on a spectrum. 

That second sentence makes me think this is a discussion I should not put much effort into. 

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
OhNoYouDont said:

When I thought you couldn't dig yourself any deeper, you went ahead and surpassed yourself: bravo.

Would you say basketball (sport) is also a verb then? You'd be profoundly incorrect for the same reason you're incorrect about science.

One can PLAY basketball.

One can PERFORM science.

One cannot basketball. One cannot science.

If you still don't understand then you're completely hopeless.

To your point about atheistic morality well I have to say that is perhaps the least intelligent phrase I've ever heard in quite some time. It's akin to saying aunicornistic morality.

Atheism isn't some philosophy with deep considerations for metaethics. It's a singular response to a singular position. Has nothing to do with anything outside the confines of a response to theism. You say there is a god, an atheist is simply saying they are not convinced. And...that's literally it.

Now secular morality there's a topic. But I see your confusion on terminology has led to you talking in circles to yourself.

"One can PERFORM science."

what does someone perform, when they perform science?

"To your point about atheistic morality well I have to say that is perhaps the least intelligent phrase I've ever heard in quite some time."

can you expand on this? what exactly do you disagree with?

"Atheism isn't some philosophy with deep"

I agree, atheism isn't deep at all, its a philosophy mostly adopted by edgy teenagers rebelling against their parents, what does that tell you?

Can't be bothered to continue addressing your inability to comprehend basic English. Enroll in community college and get some help.

Those points go hand in hand, but I see you failed to grasp that.

Atheism isn't even a philosophy at all. It is what is known as a negative position, which is a stance contingent upon someone making a positive claim. No matter how absurdly stupid a claim may be, there is always a negative position.

Atheism is a stance adopted by virtually all philosophers and logicians on the planet. You know, people who study what is true for a living? What is it that you do for a living by the way?

OhNoYouDont said:
o_O.Q said:

"One can PERFORM science."

what does someone perform, when they perform science?

Atheism is a stance adopted by virtually all philosophers and logicians on the planet. 

Welp, you'd be surprised. Have any source for that?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
OhNoYouDont said:

Atheism is a stance adopted by virtually all philosophers and logicians on the planet. 

Virtually all is definitely an exaggeration, but for philosophers at least it's a pretty big majority. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/logical-take/201402/why-62-philosophers-are-atheists-part-i

Either way, it's an argument from authority.  Better off pointing to the actual arguments that the philosophers put forward.

Metallox said:
OhNoYouDont said:

https://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

Around the Network

That question is not relevant. What is relevant is the evolution of society and values towards forgiveness.

OhNoYouDont said:
EricHiggin said:

Neither did you. Imagine that.

Religion doesn't have anyone "social distancing" themselves? All science is on hold and nobody part of science has contracted or spread COVID 19?

I realize it's not the proper scientific term. It was a play on words. Science knows that it's findings are being misunderstood and misrepresented, and yet does little about it. If you want to say that's fine because science doesn't care about how it's used, then you're indirectly saying if science is used to destroy the world and end mankind, that science doesn't care. What good is science whatsoever if there's no one alive to continue it's research? If science can end itself, due to lack of logic and morality, doesn't that go against what science is after? Exploring the universe and finding more truth's? I wonder why there's a problem with suicide? I wonder why it's said that suicidal people have mental issues and need help? If it's not ok for people to stop caring and end themselves, for whatever reason, why is it ok for science to not care and potentially end itself?

Again, is it rational to use science to create something that could potentially be used to end the human race? I think many would agree it would be more rational if science also used logic and morals to make sure it was only used for good, but if science doesn't care, well.

What about the poor starving person who eventually collects those coins and uses that to feed themselves?

Yes I did and responded to them directly. The same cannot be said for your statements...

You continue to refer to science as some active phenomenon of the Universe. It isn't, so you're being entirely incoherent.

There are tons of examples of people continuing to go to church, defying orders from scientists, the president, etc.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/louisiana-church-defies-covid-19-order-holds-sunday-services

Uh, media naming conventions don't equate to scientific findings being misunderstood.

Science cannot end itself because again it isn't some sentient mechanism of the Universe. Humans perform an activity called science, just like they perform an activity called mathematics. These are, in fact, contingent upon humans to have any meaning or impact.

The ethical considerations behind scientific decisions are numerous. Just look at the field of automated vehicles. When programming the vehicles on what to do if the car is out of control and confronted with  either crashing into a bunch of kids walking home from school or killing the driver it has been determined that the job of the automobile is to protect the driver.

I noticed you ignored every single point about truth and reliability of epistemologies. That means to me you have conceded all of those points which I am pleased to see. Perhaps there is some hope for you.

You mean like the 'direct' response to, "religion doesn't have anyone "social distancing" themselves? All science is on hold and nobody part of science has contracted or spread COVID 19?"

-"There are tons of examples of people continuing to go to church, defying orders from scientists, the president, etc."

"Defying orders from scientists"...

One of the main news anchors from Toronto's Global News, after spending weeks telling the public to self quarantine due to how bad the illness was, then traveled with her family to go on vacation, and was doing the news from there. Her excuse was that she was also with friends who were doctors who weren't concerned about the illness. LOL. You can't make this stuff up. LOL.

---

Science explains physical phenomenon. Religion explains spiritual phenomenon.

Can a human end themselves, by simply holding their breath for example, or do they require something besides themselves to do it? Can science perform itself without humans? Can humans continue to perform science without the tools that have been created using science? Is your point that it's all about humans and not God or science, because humans perform both science and religion, and both have their positives and negatives?

---

What created those vehicles, and because those vehicles have led to negative things happening for a century now, should they be banned, or improved?

---

Epistemology?... So you chose to believe whatever you wanted, instead of using logic and rationality, like the scientific method, to undeniably ascertain the truth? Sounds more like...

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

1). Did science precisely predict this Covid outbreak? 2). Has is saved us all from it since?

If certain religion and it's one and only God's teachings aren't useful, then why should science and it's 3). "God particle" be the one and only that's useful?

1). Yes..depending on what level of precision you are inquiring about.  Virologists and coronavirus experts have long predicted these outbreaks.  It's not a matter of predicting if but predicting when.  And new coronaviruses show up every year. They've documented 500 coronaviruses in bats alone.

2). Scientific applications are not an immediate process.  It can take years to develop a vaccine.  But our scientific understanding of what the virus is, how it spreads, how it infects, how long it incubates, how long it survives on surfaces, etc....have saved millions.

3). You do know that nobody in the scientific community actually calls the Higgs-Boson the "God particle"?  That was the title of a 1993 book by physicist Leon Lederman.  He called it the "The God Particle" because it would help book sales and his publisher wouldn't allow the original title he wanted. - "The Goddamn Particle"

"In exact terms, without vagueness". So no, saying something that's likely to eventually happen, and then proclaiming how right you were when it eventually happens, does not make you precisely correct.

To say that you are likely to post again on VGC within the next week, and then have that happen, would not make me precisely correct.

---

Neither is religion. Lot's of waiting, that saved many, and has since.

---

I already explained this in a prior post.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

"In exact terms, without vagueness". So no, saying something that's likely to eventually happen, and then proclaiming how right you were when it eventually happens, does not make you precisely correct.

To say that you are likely to post again on VGC within the next week, and then have that happen, would not make me precisely correct.

---

Neither is religion. Lot's of waiting, that saved many, and has since.

---

I already explained this in a prior post.

How has religion saved many people during this epidemic?  You might want to ask how Louisianian churches, Hobby Lobby and Liberty University are doing right about now.

I dunno. Vox. Pray.com? How many non religious people perished because of this epidemic? How many people, religious, scientific, or not, saved without the need for either?

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

I dunno. Vox. Pray.com? How many non religious people perished because of this epidemic? How many people, religious, scientific, or not, saved without the need for either?

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Nothings perfect to sum it up.