By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:
Well I think it is hitting more of the handheld market than the console market. But it is both which=hybrid. They can still expand more into both markets with the lite and/pro options.

It's not more of one or the other, it functions 100% like both, making it both.

It really is that simple, not sure why people insist on jumping through hoops to prove otherwise.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:
Well I think it is hitting more of the handheld market than the console market. But it is both which=hybrid. They can still expand more into both markets with the lite and/pro options.

It is both. I am saying from a Market perspective it is taking more customers from a handheld market. 

drinkandswim said:
zorg1000 said:

It is both. I am saying from a Market perspective it is taking more customers from a handheld market. 

A handheld market with $300 hardware and $60 games? In what dimension?

PortisheadBiscuit said:
drinkandswim said:

The price point is console, but if you made Switch just handheld or just console, which would sell more? The answer of course is the hybrid version because it overlaps both markets. As a handheld it currently sells as a high end handheld. I mean people do pay $1000 for a gaming laptop.

Ganoncrotch said:

Those suggesting that switch is a handheld because it has a mobile CPU might wanna look at what the Jaguar inside both x1 and ps4 was developed as. Those systems might also be handhelds.

It's a combination of reasons, one of the is the cpu. it's not the only one.

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:

It's a weak home console and a too large handheld.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
drinkandswim said:

It's an expensive handheld, for sure. Nintendo's expensive and it's become more expensive recently. There's a lot of technology in there. It's like tablets, there are $400 tablets and $1000 tablets.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
0D0 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Those suggesting that switch is a handheld because it has a mobile CPU might wanna look at what the Jaguar inside both x1 and ps4 was developed as. Those systems might also be handhelds.

It's a combination of reasons, one of the is the cpu. it's not the only one.

zorg1000 said:

PortisheadBiscuit said:

It's an expensive handheld, for sure. Nintendo's expensive and it's become more expensive recently. There's a lot of technology in there. It's like tablets, there are $400 tablets and $1000 tablets.

I play it in handheld 95% of the time have no problem with the size. The best part about it is there is almost no difference controls wise between docked and handheld. But I barely ever play it docked.

RolStoppable said:
colafitte said:

Sorry..., but why i should accept this?, Is this allowed in this site??

This is ridiculous....

That's kirby007 for you. Blunt as always.

kirby007 has the right idea, because politeness made everything move in circles in this thread whereas bluntness provides a much higher chance to make progress.

You know what's the irony?. That in the real life and in my own language i am recognized as a too direct... or "blunt" like you said, because i don't like stupid conversations. But here..., we live in a society, with rules!!!

I've  been George Costanza'ed i guess...

0D0 said:
zorg1000 said:

Having to be both will certainly cause it to have certain drawbacks.

Having to be act as a handheld means that it cant be as powerful, have Blu-Ray or a HDD like a dedicated home console.

Being powerful enough to offer console games means that it cant be as small, cheap or long battery life or a dedicated handheld.

But truly neither of those things make something a handheld or console. Wii in 2007/2008 was as weak or weaker than Switch in 2017/2018, that makes it no less of a console. Game Gear was just as big or bigger than Switch yet it was still a handheld.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

0D0 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I'd say the usage is as good a gauge as any in determining what Switch should be categorised as.

This report shows that the split is pretty even with just under 20% using it primarily as a home console, 30% using it primarily as a hendheld (or in tabletop) & the majority using it in both modes.

So saying that it doesn't compete with PS4 & XB is silly as 70% of Switch owners are using it, at least in part, as a home console...

It'll be interesting so see whether those that are being so evangelical about what does and doesn't constitute a 'true home console' are so stringent when the stream-only XB launches (which if successful, will likely be followed by it's PS equivalent) - will those sales not count? Because those systems will have way more in common with a Steam Link than a console...

In which case you'd be arguing that a streaming device is more of a home console than the Switch...

It's not a good gauge. My iPhone is still a phone but I barely use it for calling.

Of course it's a smartphone, so it's not exactly like the old phones.

So Nintendo's created a handheld that connects to TV and it's not the same as a handheld and not the same as a home console. For sure, that's why they call it hybrid, it's a new thing, yes, but still, it's not a true current gen home console at all, it's more like a smarthandheld.

I don't see you providing any actual argument as to why usage isn't a good way in determining what a device is...

Let's say everybody used their phone like you do - let's say first and foremost as a media device (I'm guessing here) & rarely to make calls - wouldn't it then make more sense to categorise it as a media device rather than a phone?

Surely usage is a better indicator than the status quo of nomenclature which can very often become inaccurate or irrelevant as the device / sector evolves.

Biggerboat1 said:
0D0 said:

It's not a good gauge. My iPhone is still a phone but I barely use it for calling.

Of course it's a smartphone, so it's not exactly like the old phones.

So Nintendo's created a handheld that connects to TV and it's not the same as a handheld and not the same as a home console. For sure, that's why they call it hybrid, it's a new thing, yes, but still, it's not a true current gen home console at all, it's more like a smarthandheld.

I don't see you providing any actual argument as to why usage isn't a good way in determining what a device is...

Let's say everybody used their phone like you do - let's say first and foremost as a media device (I'm guessing here) & rarely to make calls - wouldn't it then make more sense to categorise it as a media device rather than a phone?

Surely usage is a better indicator than the status quo of nomenclature which can very often become inaccurate or irrelevant as the device / sector evolves.

I can use my phone to throw at annoying people's heads, but it wouldn't make my phone a true weapon.

I can use my laptop to run games and I can connect my laptop to the TV, but it wouldn't make my laptop a true home console.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?