By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

For me this is how I see it.

Its a hybrid because it can be used both as a home console and a portable and has everything out of the box to allow this.

Now if it didn`t have a dock and you had to buy a dock or cable seperately to make it work on a TV then I would call it exclusively a handheld.

Now if its hardware to run games was built into the dock and the dock had to be plugged in to the wall for it to work at all I would call it a home console.

So to me, what qualifies something as handheld or home console is where the hardware lies. If the device can work in its entirety without a TV or being plugged into a wall then its a portable. If it needs a TV and a wall plug then its a home console. 

Another way to look at it; if you are in an empty house and want a gaming device, you walk into a store and spend $300 on a PS4,  it will be useless to you when you get home because you still have to buy a TV. But that is all you will need to spend on the NS and you are good to go. 

This is why I say the NS functions as a hybrid (something that can do both) but is designed from the ground up as a handheld. .One can say that its "home console" function is secondary since they are just a by product of secondary tech (dock) added to the box and since it will work in its entirety regardless of that added tech.

Its like a laptop. Laptops fall under the classification of Mobile PCs. No one calls them desktop PCs even though they can work and perform identically to a Desktop PC. We even have some laptops that are more powerful than desktop PCs but they are still not called desktops. I can take my laptop and plug it to my TV and even close the lid but still that does not make it a desktop even though its acting like one. 

The reason for all this confusion is because there isn't an official name or classification for what kinda device the NS is. So naturally people will disagree on what it is since everyone is trying to shoehorn it into pre existing categories. I chose to look at it as a hybrid. Built like a handheld but designed to be both.

If the dock had additional HW that made it improve the performance of the games (instead of just allowing what is already inside the portable part to work on the 100%) then it truly would be needing both to work depending on the situation.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

You took my comment, which wasn't directed at any individual, and made it personal. The gaming world is full of narratives, whataboutisms, etc; There's no difference in let's say, someone predicting the LTD sales of Switch or predicting what the narrative would be if Switch was underperforming. They're both unknown factors and can only be predicted by previous trends etc; 

It may have to do with you being well know to make generic inflammatory posts against an userbase.

Yet you're making an inflammatory post about my posting pedigree on this forum. How dare you. Stop quoting me, I have zero interest in ever interacting with you. Thanks. 

Last edited by PortisheadBiscuit - on 10 January 2019

Around the Network
0D0 said:
Mbolibombo said:

Dont bother, it's back and forth arguing the same arguments as the last 2 years of it's existance.

This argument will go on as long as NSW exists.

But nothing is worse than Skyward Sword is good x bad discussions.

I can only imagine those...(SS is a top 3 Zelda game btw)

MasonADC said:
0D0 said:

This argument will go on as long as NSW exists.

But nothing is worse than Skyward Sword is good x bad discussions.

I can only imagine those...(SS is a top 3 Zelda game btw)

All i know is i bought it recently and tried to play it and between the low def graphics and garbage motion controls I couldnt play it, but other than that the game was amazing. Im hoping for a port sometime in my lifetime.

Good God... Don't start the SS discussion you two

:DDDD

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

zorg1000 said:

Like I said, in order for it to even work as a fully functioning hybrid the hardware has to be in the portable part otherwise you get something like Wii U were you only have a semi-portable device.

Therefore, the "hardware is in the handheld part making it a handheld" argument is invalid because it HAS to be in it to even function as a hybrid.

How does the very thing that makes it a handheld be invalid?

You do realize that the way you and others has this it means the only thin that made every other handheld before the NS handhelds were that they didn come with a TV dock?

Ok, indulge me. What qualifies a device to be a handheld for you?

And further more you just said it "functions like a hybrid" which I agree, but why is it so hard for everyone to see that the damn thing is a handheld?

But pls answer that question though, what makes a device a handheld for you and what makes it a home console.

For me, handheld is something that can work as intended without an external display or power source. Home console is something that must be plugged into a power source and an external display. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

It's clearly trying to downplay when its brought up out of nowhere in a thread that has nothing to do with it.

If this thread was called "Nintendo Switch: Handheld or Home console" or "why is Switch selling so well?" the debate would make sense and it would be hard to justify calling it downplaying since that is the topic of discussion but this thread is about sales for a specific week so saying that Switch is a handheld and not a competitor to PS4 was brought up for no reason other than downplay the fact that it had such a great week.

And this isnt even true...... I made a thread before the switch was released literally titled if the NS was a handheld or a home console and I still got flak for wanting to classify it as one or the other. And even questioned why what it was was important to me as if asking a question like that was bad.

In that thread I adhered t it being a hybrid r functioning as such but was insisting that the basis of me calling it a handheld was because it was designed as one and literally ticks all the handheld boxes. That didn't stop me from being attacked or at least made out to look like I had some sort of dark agenda.

Those suggesting that switch is a handheld because it has a mobile CPU might wanna look at what the Jaguar inside both x1 and ps4 was developed as. Those systems might also be handhelds.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Like I said, in order for it to even work as a fully functioning hybrid the hardware has to be in the portable part otherwise you get something like Wii U were you only have a semi-portable device.

Therefore, the "hardware is in the handheld part making it a handheld" argument is invalid because it HAS to be in it to even function as a hybrid.

How does the very thing that makes it a handheld be invalid?

You do realize that the way you and others has this it means the only thin that made every other handheld before the NS handhelds were that they didn come with a TV dock?

Ok, indulge me. What qualifies a device to be a handheld for you?

And further more you just said it "functions like a hybrid" which I agree, but why is it so hard for everyone to see that the damn thing is a handheld?

But pls answer that question though, what makes a device a handheld for you and what makes it a home console.

For me, handheld is something that can work as intended without an external display or power source. Home console is something that must be plugged into a power source and an external display. 

I literally just explained it in my last 2 posts. The hardware has to be in the handheld part in order to function as a hybrid. If the hardware was inside the console part than it could not function as a hybrid.

The thing that makes it a hybrid is that it can function completely like a handheld or completely like a console out of the box. That is something that Gameboy, TurboExpress, GameGear, Nomad, GBA, PSP, Vita all lacked. All of them required additional hardware/accessories, many of which weren't even available until a few years later, to have the functionality of a console and even then it was usually in a gimped state.

Switch is a hybrid meaning it is both a handheld and a console, it's not more of a handheld or more of a console, it's both. Plain and simple.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well I think it is hitting more of the handheld market than the console market. But it is both which=hybrid. They can still expand more into both markets with the lite and/pro options.

drinkandswim said:
Well I think it is hitting more of the handheld market than the console market. But it is both which=hybrid. They can still expand more into both markets with the lite and/pro options.

It's not more of one or the other, it functions 100% like both, making it both.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.