By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Crackdown 3's campaign looks enjoyable simply for looking like more Crackdown.

Chazore said:

I'm talking of the story itself, the very linear design in general. Play anywhere you want, but the story won't ever at all be muddled right?. Why would it make sense to forcefully muddle up the main story by allowing it to clusterfuck itself?. You have to make it linear in it's design, to prevent it from being read from different points at different types. WoW allows us to now play on any continent of any zone, without having to be a specific level (Legion exp for example), and that itself is designed with a linear story that adds up to one single point, rather than multiple clusterfucked points because you chose to do the missions in a totally different order. 

Claiming it's very innovative (using "very" or not is still a claim)is giving it far too much credit.

How many games have transforming vehicles?.

I dunno: 

Playing both the character on foot, and transforming into a vehicle, that you can also customize is pretty innovative than the typical tried and tested GTA or Saints row style approach, that has already been done before. 

I didn't say he wasn't perfect, I said they could have better made use of the money on other things, than an expansive actor.

Crackdown doesn't have a typical progressive story. In the first game you defeat the fractions and the bosses of those fractions in any order you want. Once you complete all those bosses, you get an ending mission. Some bosses are stronger than others so it's better to level up taking out the easier ones first, but you don't have to. There isn't cut scenes throughout the game besides the ending and beginning. Dialogue, as far as story progression goes, is pretty non-existent besides the narrator though out the game. CD3 will likely be similar. 

Regardless of how the cloud destruction is, it's still innovative. 

How Transformers did it is not exactly the same. In Crackdown, the Agent cars physically transform after they level up, becoming stronger and fast. Agents in Crackdown go through the same transformations.

I highly doubt getting Terry Cruise for some dialogue had any effect on the budget for how the game looks or plays. 

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Chazore said:

I didn't say he wasn't perfect, I said they could have better made use of the money on other things, than an expansive actor.

I really doubt a huge chunk of the budget went to Terry, he's not exactly A list. He's more like a popular supporting actor.

Second, he was great for advertising. If MS didnt advertise this game well than the criticsm would be MS doesent care about this game.

Lastly, if MS poured a lot of money into this it was likely an accident. All they really needed to do was make another Crackdown game much like the original. It seems like the real development problems came from MP, that was arguably the waste of money.

And I doubt he was as cheap as chips to grab either. 

Not creme de la creme of current actors, but still not as cheap as say Nolan North of Steve Blum, well known voice actors (yet not paid anywhere as much as A list actors).

Yes, he was great for advertising, but I don't see what that has to do with the money and funding for the game itself.

Looking at the map design, it honestly looks far too zany, far too out of place, like it's really trying way too hard to be in your face. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It does look like more of what we got back in 2007. If that's all you want then more power to you, but the industry has come a long way since then.

Mr Puggsly said:
SvennoJ said:
It looks very last gen in style and gameplay. Spider man has perfected the flow of combat and traversal, this looks very dated and choppy. It seems to have been in development hell for too long. I wonder if MS is going to market this or will it have a quiet release. Anyway it has guns, there's that!

In a nutshell this gen is more last gen.

First of all Spiderman is taking a lot of ideas from the Batman games, second the combat in Crackdown is completely different. The melee is more like beat em' up button mashing and becomes very powerful with leveling up. Combat is more gun focused as well, there are plenty of those. The traversal is gonna be completely different because your character does more jumping and running versus webslinging and climbing. Your comparison is ignorant, Im guessing you arent familiar with the first game.

The graphics arent very impressive but dont look bad either, pretty much the same can be said for every game in the series about the visuals. The appeal of this game is more about the action and Spiderman is doing something completely different.

I did play the first one, not the second one though. What I'm referring to was the fluidity of movement and combat. Btw you can traverse without web slinging as well in Spider man, double jumping, wall running, boost jumps, with tons of upgrades.I think there's even a mission that disables web slinging. From what I see from Crackdown 3, it feels like Saints row 4. Falling behind, yet should still be fun.

SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

In a nutshell this gen is more last gen.

First of all Spiderman is taking a lot of ideas from the Batman games, second the combat in Crackdown is completely different. The melee is more like beat em' up button mashing and becomes very powerful with leveling up. Combat is more gun focused as well, there are plenty of those. The traversal is gonna be completely different because your character does more jumping and running versus webslinging and climbing. Your comparison is ignorant, Im guessing you arent familiar with the first game.

The graphics arent very impressive but dont look bad either, pretty much the same can be said for every game in the series about the visuals. The appeal of this game is more about the action and Spiderman is doing something completely different.

I did play the first one, not the second one though. What I'm referring to was the fluidity of movement and combat. Btw you can traverse without web slinging as well in Spider man, double jumping, wall running, boost jumps, with tons of upgrades.I think there's even a mission that disables web slinging. From what I see from Crackdown 3, it feels like Saints row 4. Falling behind, yet should still be fun.

Uh huh, as someone else said Crackdown is more like arcade action. Its not particularly polished but its going for something very different than a game like Spiderman.

Crackdown is more like playing as the Hulk. Its not supposed to have the most technical combat. Its just button mashy and when you get powerful enough you can send people flying with a simple punch or kick.

Spiderman may have the basic traversal stuff as well, but that isnt its focus. They didnt build a game around that.

The thing about Saints Row IV is it suffered from being too much the same. I mean it was literally the same engine, graphics, many of the assets are recycled, etc. So I dont see that comparison as valid.

Crackdown 3 appers to be making significant tweaks to the core gameplay, vast improvments to the visuals, new skills, etc. These things make it feel more fresh even its not a far cry from predecessors. While Saints Row IV is a fun game, it didnt feel fresh at all because it was just a glorified expansion and it didnt evolve beyond that

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 06 January 2019

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
It does look like more of what we got back in 2007. If that's all you want then more power to you, but the industry has come a long way since then.

You could make the same argument to people who want retro inspired games or remasters/rereleases of old games. There are countless games that try to emulate what old games did but bring some mordern ideas to it.

I like Crackdown and I dont see other games really doing what made that game so much fun. If they can do that again but with more polish amd features, I'm up for giving it a try.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LurkerJ said:
Those animations... those physics....

Just get this game released and let the studio move on to something that isn't so 2006.

According to the Wiki it seems like numerous studios worked on different aspects of Crackdown 3 and left when they were done. One studio handled the engine stuff/cloud, another handled visual assets, Ruffian handled MP, while Sumo Digital was focused on the single player and apparently stuck around to put everything else together. Sumo is the primary developer.

So if your is concern the studio(s) needs to move on, the reality is they did and Sumo wasn't only working on Crackdown 3.

Here is a list of everything Sumo worked on or released the same year Crackdown 3 was announced.

Forza Horizon 2 Xbox 360 Microsoft Studios 2014
Scorched: Combat Racing[49] iOS, Android Rogue Play 2014
LittleBigPlanet 3[50] PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 Sony Computer Entertainment 2014
Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious Xbox 360 Microsoft Studios 2015
Disney Infinity 3.0[51] Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii, Wii U Disney Interactive Studios 2015
Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom iOS, Android Sega 2015
Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Microsoft Windows Microsoft Studios 2016
Forza Horizon 3 Xbox One, Microsoft Windows Microsoft Studios 2016
Hitman (Colorado Episode) Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One Square Enix 2017
Snake Pass Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch Sumo Digital 2017
Team Sonic Racing Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch Sega 2019
Crackdown 3 Xbox One Microsoft Studios 2019
Dead Island 2 Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One Deep Silver 2019
Project Nova[52] Microsoft Windows CCP Games TBA

Hence, Crackdown 3 probably had a small team for much of its development because the primary studio was working on many projects.

Recently Completed

Has the industry come a long way since last gen? For the most part all of these open world games play just like they did last gen, which is basically taking Ubisoft's FarCry template and pasting it into their own games with small tweaks here or there. The only developer to really move the wheel was Insomniac with traversal in Sunset Overdrive and Spider-Man. Outside of that all of these open world games are pretty much indistinguishable.

I mean right now I'm playing through Mad Max and it's a good game, but it easily could have come out last gen. I've gotten the platinum on Spider-Man and Horizon, nothing ground breaking in either of those. GTA V is literally a last gen game. FarCry 5 did nothing to reinvent the wheel. In fact it's biggest change was just getting rid of "Ubi towers". Maybe I should give Ubi more credit for Ass Creed though, I haven't played any this gen but I've heard the last two are very different.

Just Cause 3? Nothing radically different from 2. And 4 comes out shortly and doesn't look much different than 3. I'm pumped for Rage 2 but it looks less like Rage and more like a marriage between Just Cause and Mad Max, which makes sense since it's being made by the people who did Just Cause and Mad Max.

Point being if the foundation is good enough, there's nothing wrong with sticking to something that is good. Microsoft tried to mix it up with Crackdown 2 and introduce the current trends (like zombies) and the results were trash. Fans of the original are perfectly happy with a new campaign and city to run around in and max out levels in so they can fly around it like a super hero, and the MP is where the real change is supposed to come.

Biggest concern is having a world with a lot of things to do rather than repetitive - go here collect that, and kill him method.

If it's on Game Pass, I'll give a shot.