By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch isn't just for core gamers

A somewhat common sentiment with Nintendo fans is that Nintendo Switch marks the return of a "core-oriented" Nintendo. One that makes games for hardcore mature gamers like myself almost exclusively, finally abandoning those filthy casuals and banishing them to Smartphones /s.

Obvious sarcasm of course, but the narrative does pop up at times. Honestly however, I feel this statement has always been sort of BS, because the Switch isn't anymore hardcore than Nintendo's past console's. Hell Nintendo really never was "Hardcore" at all. While yes, It's true the Switch's concept and premise is one that can resonate well with core gamers, they aren't and never really were the primary focus. Like most Nintendo products, Switch is aimed at a wide audience from seasoned gamers, to people who never really even touched a console. Just look at the hardware. It's a 6 in. tablet that has a multi-touchscreen, and uses two candy-colored detachable motion controllers you can share with a friend for multiplayer, either horizontally or like a remote ala the Wiimote. That sentence practically screams casual friendly.

Look at some of the games Nintendo put out for it

• 1-2 Switch - a silly motion controlled party game that requires the 2 players to look away from the screen and instead at each-other. Sold over 2.5 million copies

• Nintendo Labo - a series of cardboard construction toys for children, that have the Joy-Con and Switch placed in various props for interactive software, and a garage mode that lets kids make anything they want. Sold 1.39 million Kits in 3 months

• Super Mario Party - a reboot of an already casual oriented series that has no handheld or Pro Controller support, and requires the use of a single Joy-Con only thanks to a good number of motion-oriented modes and games. Sold 1.5 million thus far

• Pokemon Let's Go! - a simplified, motion-focused version of a decade old RPG series that serves as an entry point to newcomers by borrowing a lot from Pokemon Go!. Sold 3 million in just a few weeks

So it's not too dissimilar to the types of games Nintendo has put out for the past decade or so. Yes, there's a lot of core friendly software like Octopath, Smash Bros., and Zelda, and you might make the argument that the titles listed aren't 20 million selling mega hits like Wii Sports or Wii Play. But there is still a large audience for these games on Switch.

Point is, Switch is not the return of some hardcore gamer oriented Nintendo because it never existed. Even Nintendo themselves doesn't think it is, as their PR for the system lately has been almost entirely about attracting people don't play a lot of games. Everything about the Switch from hardware to software, is designed to appeal to a wide range of consumers. The difference here, is that Nintendo actually has reliable third party support for once, and has done a more consistent job of balancing for the two audiences.

So Switch is as casual friendly as any other Nintendo console. So while you'll still get your Metroid and Fire Emblem, expect more Labo-like wackiness from Nintendo in the future.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
VGC's sales numbers aren't always accurate.

I can do it too!

These are official numbers from Nintendo though.

mZuzek said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

These are official numbers from Nintendo though.

I think you missed my point Mr. Man Guy

So was this supposed to be a joke about moving goalposts? 

The Switch just isn't for core gamers.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
The Switch just isn't for core gamers.

I would say Nintendo always was inclusive for core gamers with every console they brought on the market because they always bring us samelike recognisable quality IP's .

Around the Network

All gaming devices are for gamers lol.

Those games are just bate you through out to catch that fish you do once in a blue moon. Extra revenue that you don't care if they buy anymore games or not as you already sold the console for a profit.

Those kind of games would not exist if you sold a console at a loss to try and get more out there to gamers so more games sell.

I haven't seen a console created only for "core" gamers... ever.

No one manufactures a device in a multi-billion dollar industry with the intention of only catering to the "core" of the audience. Everyone always wants to branch out and reach a new audience and bring in new consumers.

Nice opinion though... I guess?

Who said it is only for core gamers? Most people would say the opposite of what uou claim, and the truth is that it is for both.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Well, Nintendo has always tried to reach both core gamers and the mass market. It just didn't have an actual strategy on how to approach casual gamers before the Wii and DS. With the Switch they found a decent balance, as you wrote in the OP. What I don't get is why people think so lowly of the Wii. The Wii had lots of games hardcore gamers could enjoy, certainly as much as the Wii U. The "Wii is only for non-gamers" mantra originated from people who didn't buy Nintendo products in the first place and from viral marketing. But anyways, Nintendo certainly wants the Switch to appeal to a broader audience - you can't get to over 90 million units sold by only addressing the hardcore gamers. And Nintendo wouldn't want their business to shrink from the Wii U and 3DS generation.