By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More consoles were sold in the UK in 2018 vs 2017. PS4 #1

Intrinsic said:

Info at the link Gameindustrybiz#mce_temp_url#

 

  • PS4 #1 best selling console in UK in 2018 and up YOY from 2017
  • NS biggest mover up 20% YOY (though this should be expected being that it tracked fr at least 2 more months in 2018)
  • Physical sales down by ~3% YOY. Digital sales not tracked. 

 

On other hand, Switch had launch in March 2017. and launch always gave huge sales in any case, and January and February of this year shouldnt be strong in any case. So March of last year should easily be stronger than this years January and February.

 

colafitte said:
I have the feeling PS4 is going to be undertracked this year worlwide (have this ever happened to a Playstation before???? ), because if in USA, JP and UK PS4 is similar to last year numbers, how PS4 is going to sell 2-3m less in the rest of the world?

PS4 in US and Japan is down YoY.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 02 January 2019

Around the Network

Very impressive that some regions can be up YOY so late in the console life-cycle



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

colafitte said:
So, if this news is correct and PS4 is up YOY in UK, I expect EU to be flat or YOY up too. So...., i will ask again, if PS4 is flat in US, JP and EU...., how PS4 is going to sell 2-3M less than in 2017??. Where in the world is selling way less than last year then?

As a reminder, PS4 sold 20'2M sold to consumers in 2017 according to Sony.

Take a look at Sony official sell through numbers.

Jan 1, 2017-53.4 million

June 11, 2017-60.4 million

That's 23 weeks so ~304k/week.

 

Dec 31, 2017-73.6 million

July 22, 2018-81.2 million

That's 29 weeks so ~262k/week.

 

If we take those weekly averages and meet on the middle at 26 weeks, that is

Half 1 2017-7.9 million

Half 1 2018-6.8 million

 

At the end of June PS4 was comfortably up in US & Japan according to NPD & Media Create but Sony's official sell through numbers put it down by over 1 million globally.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Evilms said:

Worldwide shipments

PlayStation 4 :

Q1 2018 : 2,5 M

Q2 2018 : 2,8 M

Q3 2018 : 3,9 M

Q4 2018 : ?

Total : 9,2 M as september 30 + 167 M software

 

Nintendo Switch :

Q1 2018 : 2,93 M

Q2 2018 : 1,88 M

Q3 2018 : 3,19 M

Q4 2018 : ?

Total : 8 M as september 30 + 58 M software

PS4 Q4 as per VGchartz

October= 1.2 million

November= 3.76 million

If flat from last year December= 4 million

Total 2018 18.16 million global

NS Q4 as per VGchartz

October= 838k

November= 3.26 million

December= my projection 6.2 million

Total 2018 18.30 million global



zorg1000 said:

2017 lacking Jan & Feb for Switch is hardly relevant since March was its launch month which easily cancels out two regular months.

Good point..... I overlooked that. My bad.

Evilms said:

Worldwide shipments

PlayStation 4 :

Q1 2018 : 2,5 M

Q2 2018 : 2,8 M

Q3 2018 : 3,9 M

Q4 2018 : ?

Total : 9,2 M as september 30 + 167 M software

 

Nintendo Switch :

Q1 2018 : 2,93 M

Q2 2018 : 1,88 M

Q3 2018 : 3,19 M

Q4 2018 : ?

Total : 8 M as september 30 + 58 M software

I dont think thats how shipment quarters work. Like we only having the shipments for Q1 and Q2 2018. We dont yet know what shipments for Q3 2018 are yet and Q4 2018 is actually in 2019 (jan - march)

Unless f curse you are talking abut sales quarters as opposed to shipment quarters.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 02 January 2019

Around the Network

Am I the only one thats surprised by how poorly the Xbox did in the UK?

This is supposedly the 2nd strongest market for the xbox one consoles,
and it ran aggresive prices like 150£ for a xbox one s during black friday (while PS4 was ~220£) and it still got beat almost 2 : 1.

Thats insane.
Its also surpriseing that the switch overtook the xbox in the UK.



JRPGfan said:

Am I the only one thats surprised by how poorly the Xbox did in the UK?

This is supposedly the 2nd strongest market for the xbox one consoles,
and it ran aggresive prices like 150£ for a xbox one s during black friday (while PS4 was ~220£) and it still got beat almost 2 : 1.

Thats insane.
Its also surpriseing that the switch overtook the xbox in the UK.

I am not surprised. And this doesnt change that the UK is still its second strongest market, which by XB1 standards just means the other place besides NA that it gets the most of its sales. Its not their fault everyone else is just doing much better.



KingofTrolls said:
colafitte said: how PS4 is going to sell 2-3M less than in 2017??. Where in the world is selling way less than last year then?

The answer is simple. It will be determined after Sony's report. We got more and more warnings that the end of the year might turn the table.

Until that, all the thrashtalk is litlle child blablabla.

Yeah, we need to wait and see indeed.

Miyamotoo said:

 

colafitte said:
I have the feeling PS4 is going to be undertracked this year worlwide (have this ever happened to a Playstation before???? ), because if in USA, JP and UK PS4 is similar to last year numbers, how PS4 is going to sell 2-3m less in the rest of the world?

PS4 in US and Japan is down YoY.

I did not said PS4 was up on these regions, i said that combining those regions PS4 is going to be similar, because less than 5% difference i consider it to be flat. PS4 is going to be  around 50k less in JP than last year and i consider that techical flat (i will consider the same if it was 50k more), in US PS4 is going to be just  a few 100k shy of last year and in UK is already up YOY, so yeah, i stand for what i said. The difference for those markets between 2017 and 2018 is going to be just a few 100k's of difference, so if PS4 is going to sell 2 or 3M less than in 2017, it need to be in the rest of the world.....but where?

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:
So, if this news is correct and PS4 is up YOY in UK, I expect EU to be flat or YOY up too. So...., i will ask again, if PS4 is flat in US, JP and EU...., how PS4 is going to sell 2-3M less than in 2017??. Where in the world is selling way less than last year then?

As a reminder, PS4 sold 20'2M sold to consumers in 2017 according to Sony.

Take a look at Sony official sell through numbers.

Jan 1, 2017-53.4 million

June 11, 2017-60.4 million

That's 23 weeks so ~304k/week.

 

Dec 31, 2017-73.6 million

July 22, 2018-81.2 million

That's 29 weeks so ~262k/week.

 

If we take those weekly averages and meet on the middle at 26 weeks, that is

Half 1 2017-7.9 million

Half 1 2018-6.8 million

 

At the end of June PS4 was comfortably up in US & Japan according to NPD & Media Create but Sony's official sell through numbers put it down by over 1 million globally.

Yeah, good point. But I still think PS4 is going to be very similar of what it did in the second half of the year last year worldwide thanks to games like Spider-Man, RDR 2 and COD BOPS IIII.

I'm not expecting PS4 to sell 20M this year, i'm not that crazy, but i firmly believe is going to be closer to 19M than most people think.

Last edited by colafitte - on 02 January 2019

zorg1000 said:
snip

Sorry, but  the new leak just arrived, PS4 tops 90 mil, Switch 25 mil, if this is true what are yearly sales for both ?

Thanks for help and sorry to interrupt.  



KingofTrolls said:
zorg1000 said:
snip

Sorry, but  the new leak just arrived, PS4 tops 90 mil, Switch 25 mil, if this is true what are yearly sales for both ?

Thanks for help and sorry to interrupt.  

Those arent leaks, they are estimates and poor ones at that, 16.4m for PS4 and 11.9m for Switch.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.