By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More consoles were sold in the UK in 2018 vs 2017. PS4 #1

zorg1000 said: 

Those arent leaks, they are estimates and poor ones at that, 16.4m for PS4 and 11.9m for Switch.

Understood. Big thanks for ur support.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Evilms said:
For 2018 at the UK :

PS4 ~ 1100K
Switch ~ 820K
XB1~ 600K

Wow the Switch beat out the Xbox in the UK!
And even in the UK the PS4 almost doubled the xbox? holy fudge.

We often hear that the UK is one of the xbox's strongest markets.
This goes against that.

No, it doesn't.

Even if those numbers are true it would still be one of Xbox's strongest markets. It's still more than it sells anywhere else other than the US.

JRPGfan said:

Am I the only one thats surprised by how poorly the Xbox did in the UK?

This is supposedly the 2nd strongest market for the xbox one consoles,
and it ran aggresive prices like 150£ for a xbox one s during black friday (while PS4 was ~220£) and it still got beat almost 2 : 1.

Thats insane.
Its also surpriseing that the switch overtook the xbox in the UK.

You think Black Friday prices alone decide what the YEARLY sales are? So youre just ignoring the rest of the year? Exclusives like GOW and Spiderman pushed a lot of consoles too. This year they had marketing for Black Ops 4 and RDR2, which turned out to be huge hits compared to Battlefield and Fallout. Actually it didnt even do poorly. Its just that the other consoles did exceptionally well. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Congrats to Sony. UK was 360 land, and I was expecting something more from MS. X1 is a very good console, there's something I don't get. I think right now it deserves better sales !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

JRPGfan said:

Am I the only one thats surprised by how poorly the Xbox did in the UK?

This is supposedly the 2nd strongest market for the xbox one consoles,
and it ran aggresive prices like 150£ for a xbox one s during black friday (while PS4 was ~220£) and it still got beat almost 2 : 1.

Thats insane.
Its also surpriseing that the switch overtook the xbox in the UK.

Yes, you are the only one. To everyone else it isn't news that Xbox One is in third place in yearly console sales, because that's its spot everywhere else as well, including its strongest market, the USA. We've already had five years to observe the Xbox One's market performance and it's not looking like it will exceed 10m in any year of its life, a threshold that both the PS4 and Switch have already crossed multiple times by comfortable margin.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
Congrats to Sony. UK was 360 land, and I was expecting something more from MS. X1 is a very good console, there's something I don't get. I think right now it deserves better sales !

Doesn't matter how good X1 is right now. There is nothing MS can do to change the sales trend which was set in 2013.

Intrinsic said:

Info at the link Gameindustrybiz#mce_temp_url#

• PS4 #1 best selling console in UK in 2018 and up YOY from 2017
  • NS biggest mover up 20% YOY (though this should be expected being that it tracked fr at least 2 more months in 2018)
  • Physical sales down by ~3% YOY. Digital sales not tracked. 

A new article just popped up saying that the PS4 was actually flat yoy.

And btw, they also posted the 20 best selling games of 2018.  I was gonna create a thread about it but I have no idea how to work with graphs over here. So if anyone wants to create it, it would be appreciated it.

chakkra said:
Intrinsic said:

• NS biggest mover up 20% YOY (though this should be expected being that it tracked fr at least 2 more months in 2018)

And btw, they also posted the 20 best selling games of 2018.  I was gonna create a thread about it but I have no idea how to work with graphs over here. So if anyone wants to create it, it would be appreciated it.

This doesn't surprise me being that they gave a number for how much the NS was up but didnt give one for the PS4. But being flat YOY isnt a bad thing either when its being compared to the consoles peak year.

chakkra said:
Intrinsic said:

Do you have a link?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:
chakkra said:

This doesn't surprise me being that they gave a number for how much the NS was up but didnt give one for the PS4. But being flat YOY isnt a bad thing either when its being compared to the consoles peak year.

Ya being flat is a great result. It looks like US+Japan+UK are roughly flat YoY (give or take a few %).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.