Graphics Of The Year

Resident Evil 2 2 6.90%

Metro: Exodus 9 31.03%

Gears 5 4 13.79%

Death Stranding 12 41.38%

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 6.90%

Total:29
CGI-Quality said:
Let's leave the door open on next gen games before we crown TLOU: Pt 2. No doubt it'll be one of the contenders, but the for sure winner? Nah. I personally expect a PC multiplat to be what wows me the most!

Considering next gen first month or 2 usually don't get great games or big jump maybe TLOU2 and GoT will look a lot better, even more if they receive a special patch for PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Chazore said:
KingofTrolls said:

Graphicially, CP is nothing extraordinary. Metro Exodus looks better already.

New userbase? Users come in and go out every year, the userbase here now is very different from what it was a couple years ago, and.. Sony 1st party are still winning the award - simple, because people rate it the best.

FYI, TloU in 2013 did not win a GOTY here, Mario Maker IIRC did.

We've yet to see the entire world and whatever tech CP has to offer. Metro is hampered by RT by itself, and wasn't made entirely just for it, making it baseline.

Yes, new userbase per system used. The userbase on here has changed, in a way that we've less Xbox users, more Ninty users and PC users have more or less stayed the same, with the rest being Sony based.

Like I said to CGI, it's a numbers based game, regardless of what's "best". 

Yeah, that was 2013, since then it's been the same result on repeat. Next year would be nice to see a break in the usual cycle.

Nintendo userbase in this site is quite bigger than the PS one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

The thread is fun since mostly only the best looking games get nominated but the winner is really just dependent on the user base If a Nintendo game would be nominated this year then it could also win even if it wouldn't even look that good graphically.

But right now if nothing changes on VGC, the next 10 years will be already clear a year before the votes even start. It will be only PS exclusive games winning if a multiplat game won't be lucky.

Sony's devs or devs supported by them definitely invested a lot in the graphics this gen (not even talking about money but how important it was to them) but even Sony's devs of this era couldn't run a game like Metro on the PS4 with how PC gamers can enjoy it (even if not too many of them)

I only watched Death Stranding on Gamersyde who have at least very good quality videos of games and some parts look fantastic for a console game but there is also parts where you just see that it could have been so much more on better hardware.

The game is definitely not my cup of tea but I'm really curious to see it running on a PC and would maybe even play it just for the stunning views.

I think it's hard to make such a thread with a fair result. Normally it should be almost always PC games with highest settings winning but what as example Sony's devs achieved this gen on the PS4 is maybe more impressive than a PC game looking even better but on a machine which is like 10x stronger.

Question is if we take the power devs could work with in consideration or not. And if we do, then even a mobile game could theoretically win ^^

CGI-Quality said:

The results don’t really reflect that. They never have (given they rarely, if ever, eclipse 100). The thread replies/views vastly outnumber it, meaning the discussions are the focal point (as they should be and what the purpose has been since its creation in 2011). 

My favorite game has never won. I could end this topic based on that. The votes don’t carry that kind of weight, though. What I can teach (and what I learn) are far greater rewards and I’m hopeful that this is what most people take from these threads. The final poll is similar to a GOTY moment. Nice for voting purposes, but isn’t the true takeaway of the period.

The results tell us what is the best looking game of the year. What you and I think, as well as anyone else thinks/says is the subjective part of the discussion about these games.

I wish the votes were around the same number as thread replies, because then we'd see some variation within the votes made. 

Voting carries it's own sort of weight, otherwise there would be virtually no reason at all for the concept of voting for anything, if it held no intrinsic value. 

@bolded, I'm not sure about that. I don't buy into the special needs "everyone's a winner" mentality. Winners are winners and losers are losers.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

We've yet to see the entire world and whatever tech CP has to offer. Metro is hampered by RT by itself, and wasn't made entirely just for it, making it baseline.

Yes, new userbase per system used. The userbase on here has changed, in a way that we've less Xbox users, more Ninty users and PC users have more or less stayed the same, with the rest being Sony based.

Like I said to CGI, it's a numbers based game, regardless of what's "best". 

Yeah, that was 2013, since then it's been the same result on repeat. Next year would be nice to see a break in the usual cycle.

Actually CDP RED has a bad habit of showing bullshots before given game is launched. Also, we know already that there will be places with simply average or even bad graphics.

I dont think PS fans dominate the userbase here, thus I can't agree with your view of the topic.

Around the Network

I think it's hard to make such a thread with a fair result. Normally it should be almost always PC games with highest settings winning but what as example Sony's devs achieved this gen on the PS4 is maybe more impressive than a PC game looking even better but on a machine which is like 10x stronger.

Question is if we take the power devs could work with in consideration or not. And if we do, then even a mobile game could theoretically win ^^

If we take votes as an indicator, then yes, the results are fair. Because 5 is always bigger than 4.

I don't like the fact that COD sells so well every year, but I don't cry about it.

Chazore said:
CGI-Quality said:

The results don’t really reflect that. They never have (given they rarely, if ever, eclipse 100). The thread replies/views vastly outnumber it, meaning the discussions are the focal point (as they should be and what the purpose has been since its creation in 2011). 

My favorite game has never won. I could end this topic based on that. The votes don’t carry that kind of weight, though. What I can teach (and what I learn) are far greater rewards and I’m hopeful that this is what most people take from these threads. The final poll is similar to a GOTY moment. Nice for voting purposes, but isn’t the true takeaway of the period.

The results tell us what is the best looking game of the year. What you and I think, as well as anyone else thinks/says is the subjective part of the discussion about these games.

I wish the votes were around the same number as thread replies, because then we'd see some variation within the votes made. 

Voting carries it's own sort of weight, otherwise there would be virtually no reason at all for the concept of voting for anything, if it held no intrinsic value. 

@bolded, I'm not sure about that. I don't buy into the special needs "everyone's a winner" mentality. Winners are winners and losers are losers.

Didn't realize some random votes on an obscure console wars website held any weight. The more you know...

Chazore said:
CGI-Quality said:

If we were going to do a best on technical level then there would be no point on voting, it should be limited to the experts in VGC making an article over it.

KingofTrolls said:

If we take votes as an indicator, then yes, the results are fair. Because 5 is always bigger than 4.

I don't like the fact that COD sells so well every year, but I don't cry about it.

It's up to you what to believe. It's not as if this thread has any real importance and it's just for fun but I guarantee you that Gears would win if we would have as many Xbox as PS users and as few PS as Xbox users here. And that would be undeserving in my opinion even when I'm more of an Xbox guy and Gears looks fine especially on PC. 

It's just the user base to decide the winner. But the list of nominations is at least more representing the best games of the year if it comes to graphics. 

How much CoD sells is irrelevant to how good it is. Many CoD players would probably even say that it's not the best game of the year but the game they can have a lot of fun with because of the multiplayer and that they just get much more value for their money as with a single player game like Sekiro. My most played game of the year is Apex Legends and even if it would cost money it would have the best value for me this year but It's not the best game at all...

Same with FIFA I bought more FIFA games in my life than anything else (but not the last 5 years or so). But I wouldn't rank any FIFA game in the top 20 of a year. It sells for other reasons than pure quality as a game. It's just one of the best to play against friends if you are interested in football. 

KingofTrolls said:

Actually CDP RED has a bad habit of showing bullshots before given game is launched. Also, we know already that there will be places with simply average or even bad graphics.

I dont think PS fans dominate the userbase here, thus I can't agree with your view of the topic.

Everyone else is capable of doing the same, even Sony.

Don't have to agree at all, but it isn't going to stop me from seeing what the results produce. 

Chrizum said:

Didn't realize some random votes on an obscure console wars website held any weight. The more you know...

ikr?

DonFerrari said:

If we were going to do a best on technical level then there would be no point on voting, it should be limited to the experts in VGC making an article over it.

Well yeah, that's why we see DF holding their own, because they are technical experts and no one's batting an eye at the DF team hosting theirs, with zero user input. I think seeing their picks and overall GOTY from each is better than seeing this thread repeat itself each year, because with DF, we know we're going to get a different result from them each year. 

Like at the end of the day, I just want to see a new result, new data. I get bored and tired of seeing the same result over and over again, like an easy win of 5 in a row matches of any game.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"