By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Yeah, definetely. It´s what people commonly call "the minority card". People always use it when they want to feel offended or when they can´t get what they want.

At my job, we have very specific rules for sending office supplies for any employee / department who demands them. Not long ago, a certain manager ordered me an inconceivable amount of supplies without previous warning or justification. I correct his order, as determined by the company´s regulation. Frustrated with the reduced supply, she called my superior accusing me of being racist and misogynist (funny, because she´s not even black, she´s mixed, as most Brazilians are) .

Of course, there was no evidence of any kind of discrimination, she just thought that she was above regulations for being a manager. Even more funny is that, three weeks after this occurance, she lost her position as a manager due to lack of commitment with deadlines and regulations.

Around the Network
vivster said:
People don't care about the meaning of racism anymore. They only care about the social prestige of calling out "racism" or any other perceived offense or discrimination. Can't wait for this to culminate this year.

Mark my words, by the end of this year you will be called a racist if you only mention your own race or skin color.

Rogerioandrade said:

Yeah, definetely. It´s what people commonly call "the minority card". People always use it when they want to feel offended or when they can´t get what they want.

At my job, we have very specific rules for sending office supplies for any employee / department who demands them. Not long ago, a certain manager ordered me an inconceivable amount of supplies without previous warning or justification. I correct his order, as determined by the company´s regulation. Frustrated with the reduced supply, she called my superior accusing me of being racist and misogynist (funny, because she´s not even black, she´s mixed, as most Brazilians are) .

Of course, there was no evidence of any kind of discrimination, she just thought that she was above regulations for being a manager. Even more funny is that, three weeks after this occurance, she lost her position as a manager due to lack of commitment with deadlines and regulations.

Gotta love when people accuse people of making sweeping generalizations while making sweeping generalizations themselves. 

No, I haven't. I grew up in a pretty white/sheltered rural area where some of the children I grew up with had very bigoted parents. As a result, I make a conscious effort to think of how my actions/body language might be construed by others. More specifically, I never wanted to signal to those who were acting racist that their speech or attitude was okay with me. Conversely, I'd never want to make someone of a different cultural background uncomfortable through my actions.

With the reality of historical mistreatment of minorities, a certain amount of self-awareness is required not to give the wrong impression. If I were constantly being called out as being a racist, I would re-evaluate my body language, etc. in those situations.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

PortisheadBiscuit said:
vivster said:
People don't care about the meaning of racism anymore. They only care about the social prestige of calling out "racism" or any other perceived offense or discrimination. Can't wait for this to culminate this year.

Mark my words, by the end of this year you will be called a racist if you only mention your own race or skin color.

Rogerioandrade said:

Gotta love when people accuse people of making sweeping generalizations while making sweeping generalizations themselves. 

I correct myself and specify my claim to be mostly correct for the loudest people screaming racism. If people fought as hard against actual racism as they fight against fake racism it wouldn't be an issue anymore. Not to mention that calling out fake racism only amplifies actual racism.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

contestgamer said:

Actually people who aren't minorities are super sensitive as well these days. Everything not to their liking is chalked up to someone being an "SJW", "snowflake", "race baiter", etc; 

That's totally different. Those people are upset about the politically correct behavior of others to begin with.

No it is the exact same thing. They look for "SJW" or PC aspects in media and often see it when it's not really there. Honestly SJW gets tossed around so much it's practically lost all meaning. 

For example if a sitcom set in NYC had diverse cast, there cries that it was PC and appeals to SJWs. When the truth is the cast would be representative of the setting.

Now if the same show were set in Tokyo with  a similarly diverse cast, it would be a real example of SJW and PC culture. Unlike NYC, Tokyo is filled with almost exclusively Japanese people. A diverse cast would make no sense.

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 02 January 2019

Around the Network

I can't say I ever have. I've also lived in a multi-cultural multi-ethnic place my entire life.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Darc Requiem said:
contestgamer said:

That's totally different. Those people are upset about the politically correct behavior of others to begin with.

No it is the exact same thing. They look for "SJW" or PC aspects in media and often see it when it's not really there. Honestly SJW gets tossed around so much it's practically lost all meaning. 

For example if a sitcom set in NYC had diverse cast, there cries that it was PC and appeals to SJWs. When the truth is the cast would be representative of the setting.

Now if the same show were set in Tokyo with  a similarly diverse cast, it would be a real example of SJW and PC culture. Unlike NYC, Tokyo is filled with almost exclusively Japanese people. A diverse cast would make no sense.

SJW usage has become more like the politically correct term for k***, f*****, or n*****.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I have never encountered that with minorities, they are normal everyday people.  Minorities are normal people just like everyone else they are not out to get anyone.

So only Aussie make fun of you in Perth for your disability?

What about the Chinese people? I have notice them in Melb shun disabled Chinese people or look at them funny when I go to the new years festival they have in the city. I also know one and he basically old me his Grandfather won't speak to him and wish he was dead 

Cobretti2 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I have never encountered that with minorities, they are normal everyday people.  Minorities are normal people just like everyone else they are not out to get anyone.

What about the Chinese people? I have notice them in Melb shun disabled Chinese people or look at them funny when I go to the new years festival they have in the city. I also know one and he basically old me his Grandfather won't speak to him and wish he was dead 

I have not interacted with minorities before and I have no issues with them.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Cobretti2 said:

I have not interacted with minorities before and I have no issues with them.

Well maybe you should. Start small with 1 or 2 people, may help your condition. Generally minorities do not judge the same way as they fear to be judged in a foreign land.