By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch 10 million sellers

How many NS games will sell more than 10M copies?

1-5 3 2.73%

5-10 28 25.45%

10-15 56 50.91%

15-20 12 10.91%

20 + 11 10.00%

Total:110
Clank said:
zorg1000 said:

Every 3 months

oh! so the new update will be for 31 dec? great (i wonder if smash will reach 10 M in those few days)

Yes, these are the end dates for each quarter and results are posted about a month afterwards.

March 31

June 30

September 30

December 31

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

If Nintendo does a new Nintendogs/Nintencats this also has potential.

我是广州人

Nice thread.

I didn't know we had games get over 10million atm.

Smash would be next id say. Then a Pokemon game or two

Ashadelo said:

I remember doing a thread on that a while back. Tie it in with a mobile game and I think the franchise could really blow up again.

NightlyPoe said:
Wyrdness said:

Miitopia and Miitomo aren't Tomodachi it's like saying Hyrule Warriors only did this amount so BOTW won't sell 10m that's the flaw in that logic

I don't believe so.  Tomodachi is a sub-brand of Miis.  If the Mii brand itself is faltering and no longer central to Nintendo's marketing strategy, then it is quite logical to conclude that Tomodachi would also suffer as a result.  This isn't 2014 anymore when the Miiverse was in its heyday and Nintendo was opening their E3 presentation with the blockbuster announcement that Smash for Wii U would include Mii Fighters a few days after Tomodachi Life debuted outside of Japan.

Is it a dead franchise?  Probably not.  But is it a franchise that we can expect 60% growth?  No, I don't think that's likely at all.

Except Tomodachi doesn't carry the Mii name it's simply a franchise that utilizes them as avatars much like Mario Kart and Smash does it's success is not dependent on them as a brand but on its own merits that's the issue in your argument Tomodachi is the game that made Mii's popular through the DS game not the other way around which is why Nintendo began pushing them, the game was originally going to have only female original characters and not Miis it was never dependent on Miis popularity to begin with.

Even it's questionable whether your argument in regards to Miis declining is really the case as well because Miitopia still sold 1.2m or so releasing in 2017 meanwhile Metroid:SR struggled to cross 500k along with many other games, people have cited that the latter is because the 3DS is in its twilight years and all momentum has shifted to the Switch which is fair enough but then it shows that Miis may not be as low in value as you claim because the only other game to sell 1m or more on 3DS since 2017 is Pokemon USUM.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Ashadelo said:

I remember doing a thread on that a while back. Tie it in with a mobile game and I think the franchise could really blow up again.

I guess there was some problem with the 3ds ones (it dropped fom 24M ds to 4M)... I guess th e ds one  was a trend and also many casual public got it. I think thats very different from switch owners but if they do something interesting it could work as a strong hardware seller (after a significant discount in my opinion)

I think it'll be the third Nintendo platform to have 10 (+) 10 million sellers.

I mean, there's 3 since the last update. Splatoon 2 will leg it out (it'll likely be one of the first Switch "Selects" titles and get a second wind). Smash Ultimate will be there in a month. Animal Crossing, Pokemon gen 8, possibly Let's Go. There's 8 right there. I think it can do it.

Also, I think the next Metroid Prime, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion titles will be the best selling entries in their respective franchise (nowhere close to 10 million, but still a great feat).

1doesnotsimply

I'm going full Tbone and say 15-20 games will reach that.

Switch isn't even 2 years old but has already 3 10 million sellers, with several others guaranteed already to cross that line. We don't even know what else Nintendo is gonna bring to us, but I'm fairly sure several other big sellers will come, maybe even some very unanticipated titles

I'm very bullish on this issue.  I don't think Switch will get anything that sells like Wii Sports, but it will have an unprecedented number of 10m+ sellers.

Games released in first 24 months:
Zelda: BotW
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party*
Pokemon Let's Go
Smash Bros
NSMB U

I'm giving Super Mario Party a 0.5, because I'm not sure if it will cross 10m or not, so that is 7.5 total.  I think there will be a similar number of first party games during the rest of Switch's lifetime bringing the total to 15.  I also think there will be a few third party games that cross the line, somewhere between 3-7 titles.  

Grand total: 18 - 22 total that sell 10m+

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm very bullish on this issue.  I don't think Switch will get anything that sells like Wii Sports, but it will have an unprecedented number of 10m+ sellers.

Games released in first 24 months:
Zelda: BotW
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party*
Pokemon Let's Go
Smash Bros
NSMB U

I'm giving Super Mario Party a 0.5, because I'm not sure if it will cross 10m or not, so that is 7.5 total.  I think there will be a similar number of first party games during the rest of Switch's lifetime bringing the total to 15.  I also think there will be a few third party games that cross the line, somewhere between 3-7 titles.  

Grand total: 18 - 22 total that sell 10m+

I can't think of a single 3rd party game that could cross 10M sales on a Nintendo console (the best are Monster Hunter and Yo-Kai Watch, and there's no way those are gonna sell that much), what do you have in mind when you say that ?