By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games can surpass RDR2 and BotW as the highest rated current generation game?

Not enough people are mentioning Metroid Prime 4. That easily has the best chance

Around the Network

Its not the highest rated game. Its tied with Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

Updated the thread title for clarity. Not trying to take away from RDR2, but if you're gonna compare Metacritic numbers with this much granularity your title should reflect that.

Anyways, I'd guess Cyberpunk or a future Zelda game, or Grand Theft Auto 6 if it comes out this generation. Or Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Heh...heh...*looks down sadly*

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

MasonADC said:
Not enough people are mentioning Metroid Prime 4. That easily has the best chance

I would wait and see what's Nintendo doing with that game. The fact that Retro Studios is not in charge of MP4 makes me question everything about it.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Mnementh said:

But isn't your title misleading then? You only use Metacritic as source, exclude GTA V for ... reasons and use only one version of the game? Shouldn't the title be: What games can surpass the XBox One version of RDR2 as the on Metacritic highest rated current generation game excluding cross gen titles like GTA V?

Do you really think that that would be a good thread title? Isn't it a "bit" long? You could only see a part of it on the main page, so you wouldn't know what the thread is about. And I state in my first sentence that it's based on Metacritic. I wouldn't count GTA V as current generation because it was first released on last gen consoles.

Or your title could have simply been "Will any upcoming games surpass Metacrtic's highest rated current gen games?"

Still sorter than the click bate title you got. TBH i'm surprised you didn't hand pick out the XBOX ONE X reviews only lol.

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Updated the thread title for clarity. Not trying to take away from RDR2, but if you're gonna compare Metacritic numbers with this much granularity your title should reflect that.

Anyways, I'd guess Cyberpunk or a future Zelda game, or Grand Theft Auto 6 if it comes out this generation. Or Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Heh...heh...*looks down sadly*

Who knows maybe this will if it ever becomes anything haha.

At least Monolithsoft took part in Zelda Botw's development.

Shiken said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

But that is not from Metacritic, but from Gamerankings. Metacritic also has more reviews. Was that a "stealthy" attempt to spread disinformation? I remember that during RDR2 launch you also had some "problems" accepting the fact that RDR2 is the highest rated game of this generation. 

Breath of the Wild has more reviews than RDR2 on MC, 12 more in fact.  If you are going to compare decimals without even using the equal amount of reviews for both games, as well as discredit other review sites such as game rankings...

Well it becomes an obvious attempt to try to discredit two other games that hold the same score on metacritic rather than a celebration of having three 97s within two years.

Also food for thought, RDR2 did not win GotY 2018 but God of War did (a 94 on metacritic), which would suggest that it is the better game (making that 97 for RDR2 kinda meaningless).  Furthermore one of the other 97s (BotW) DID win GotY during its respective launch year.  By claiming RDR2 is the most acclaimed game of the generation, then cherry picking facts that support you while ignoring all the facts that go against you, it only hurts the credibility of your argument.

Also I am curious, if MC is the end all, be all for critical acclamation, are you also suggesting that Ocarina of Time is better than RDR2?  I mean it is from a different generation and milestones were different then, but if the number is all that matters...

RDR2 has 97 PS4 + 33 Xbox One reviews on Metacritic vs BotW 109 Switch + 13 WiiU reviews, so combined RDR2 has 8 more reviews. But I don't know how we could count which game (RDR2 or BotW) would be the higher rated when you combine PS4 and Xbox One scores together. All we can say for certain is that RDR2 Xbox One version is the highest rated game of this generation. And if you add BotW WiiU score, the combined score would definitely be lower than RDR2, since the WiiU version is 96 something. But I haven't noticed that people would try to combine different console versions scores together. Gamerankings has about 50% less reviews compared to Metacritic.

But all this is nitpicking, since the purpose of this thread was to ask people what games could top RDR2 on the Metacritic list. But OTBWY's obvious drive-by/distraction post mislead many users, since he didn't mention that the list he posted was from Gamerankings. Do you think his post was good?

My post clearly and only stated that RDR2 is the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. I didn't state that it was the most acclaimed game when you combine all the different rewards, or that it is the best game of this generation. And comparing GOTY nominees from different years is not very usefull, since they are competing against different games. Someone could also say that God of War was underrated on Metacritic.

Yeah, Occarina of Time and RDR2 are several years apart, but that doesn't remove the fact that Ocarina is higher rated on Metacritic. But that doesn't mean that it's better, which I also didn't state about RDR2 in my first post.   

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Shiken said:

Breath of the Wild has more reviews than RDR2 on MC, 12 more in fact.  If you are going to compare decimals without even using the equal amount of reviews for both games, as well as discredit other review sites such as game rankings...

Well it becomes an obvious attempt to try to discredit two other games that hold the same score on metacritic rather than a celebration of having three 97s within two years.

Also food for thought, RDR2 did not win GotY 2018 but God of War did (a 94 on metacritic), which would suggest that it is the better game (making that 97 for RDR2 kinda meaningless).  Furthermore one of the other 97s (BotW) DID win GotY during its respective launch year.  By claiming RDR2 is the most acclaimed game of the generation, then cherry picking facts that support you while ignoring all the facts that go against you, it only hurts the credibility of your argument.

Also I am curious, if MC is the end all, be all for critical acclamation, are you also suggesting that Ocarina of Time is better than RDR2?  I mean it is from a different generation and milestones were different then, but if the number is all that matters...

RDR2 has 97 PS4 + 33 Xbox One reviews on Metacritic vs BotW 109 Switch + 13 WiiU reviews, so combined RDR2 has 8 more reviews. But I don't know how we could count which game (RDR2 or BotW) would be the higher rated when you combine PS4 and Xbox One scores together. All we can say for certain is that RDR2 Xbox One version is the highest rated game of this generation. And if you add BotW WiiU score, the combined score would definitely be lower than RDR2, since the WiiU version is 96 something. But I haven't noticed that people would try to combine different console versions scores together. Gamerankings has about 50% less reviews compared to Metacritic.

No, all we know for certain is that RDR2 on X1 has a decimal higher average based on 33 reviews vs 109 reviews for BotW or 94 reviews for the PS4 version.  It does nothing to the argument that the game is any higher overall besides give those who would cherry pick sources in a desperate attempt to make it sound like it did slightly better than two other games at 97.

But all this is nitpicking, since the purpose of this thread was to ask people what games could top RDR2 on the Metacritic list. But OTBWY's obvious drive-by/distraction post mislead many users, since he didn't mention that the list he posted was from Gamerankings. Do you think his post was good?

Considering that your title was obvious clickbait by claiming it was the highest rated game period, I think his post was well justified regardless of what you said in your OP.  And again because you are basing your claim on a version with only 33 reviews, even your MC point is heavily flawed.

My post clearly and only stated that RDR2 is the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. I didn't state that it was the most acclaimed game when you combine all the different rewards, or that it is the best game of this generation. And comparing GOTY nominees from different years is not very usefull, since they are competing against different games. Someone could also say that God of War was underrated on Metacritic.

You also did not specify that you were talking about the X1 version soley based on 33 reviews either.   You let people believe you were talking about whichever version was the most reviewed.  Again, cherry picking your information.  Usually people compare the primary review platform for these discussions, which would make it Switch version vs PS4 version...but that would go against what you want to spin soooo...

Yeah, Occarina of Time and RDR2 are several years apart, but that doesn't remove the fact that Ocarina is higher rated on Metacritic. But that doesn't mean that it's better, which I also didn't state about RDR2 in my first post.   

If you admit that metacritic scores are meaningless, why bother making a post like this to begin with knowing how it would turn out?  Seems to me like it was your intention to rile people up because your logic makes no sense in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Shiken - on 29 December 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Wait a minute did the OP just put the least review version?

RDR2 XB1 at 33 reviews vs Zelda BOTW at 109 reviews. 

What a nice OP. 

Yeah, the point of this thread was to ask people what games could become the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. How else could I do it other than saying that RDR2 is currently the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. Which is true.

You don't count games scores by combining different console versions together, and I couldn't even do that because I don't work at Metacritic. Who knows which game would then be the more higher rated. But in that case you should also add BotW WiiU score (96 something), which would most likely make RDR2 the higher rated one.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Wait a minute did the OP just put the least review version?

RDR2 XB1 at 33 reviews vs Zelda BOTW at 109 reviews. 

What a nice OP. 

Yeah, the point of this thread was to ask people what games could become the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. How else could I do it other than saying that RDR2 is currently the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. Which is true.

You don't count games scores by combining different console versions together, and I couldn't even do that because I don't work at Metacritic. Who knows which game would then be the more higher rated. But in that case you should also add BotW WiiU score (96 something), which would most likely make RDR2 the higher rated one.

You could do it the way I said to your previous message. Or the way you just said in bold, as the topic.

No one is combining consoles, Both RDR2 games are rated 97. The decimals do not matter lol. They don't matter because of the different review counts. The more people that review on a platform the likelihood more will hate it. 97 rounded on both systems is good enough for most people to accept they are equally the same.