By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games can surpass RDR2 and BotW as the highest rated current generation game?

Shiken said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

RDR2 has 97 PS4 + 33 Xbox One reviews on Metacritic vs BotW 109 Switch + 13 WiiU reviews, so combined RDR2 has 8 more reviews. But I don't know how we could count which game (RDR2 or BotW) would be the higher rated when you combine PS4 and Xbox One scores together. All we can say for certain is that RDR2 Xbox One version is the highest rated game of this generation. And if you add BotW WiiU score, the combined score would definitely be lower than RDR2, since the WiiU version is 96 something. But I haven't noticed that people would try to combine different console versions scores together. Gamerankings has about 50% less reviews compared to Metacritic.

No, all we know for certain is that RDR2 on X1 has a decimal higher average based on 33 reviews vs 109 reviews for BotW or 94 reviews for the PS4 version.  It does nothing to the argument that the game is any higher overall besides give those who would cherry pick sources in a desperate attempt to make it sound like it did slightly better than two other games at 97.

But all this is nitpicking, since the purpose of this thread was to ask people what games could top RDR2 on the Metacritic list. But OTBWY's obvious drive-by/distraction post mislead many users, since he didn't mention that the list he posted was from Gamerankings. Do you think his post was good?

Considering that your title was obvious clickbait by claiming it was the highest rated game period, I think his post was well justified regardless of what you said in your OP.  And again because you are basing your claim on a version with only 33 reviews, even your MC point is heavily flawed.

My post clearly and only stated that RDR2 is the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. I didn't state that it was the most acclaimed game when you combine all the different rewards, or that it is the best game of this generation. And comparing GOTY nominees from different years is not very usefull, since they are competing against different games. Someone could also say that God of War was underrated on Metacritic.

You also did not specify that you were talking about the X1 version soley based on 33 reviews either.   You let people believe you were talking about whichever version was the most reviewed.  Again, cherry picking your information.  Usually people compare the primary review platform for these discussions, which would make it Switch version vs PS4 version...but that would go against what you want to spin soooo...

Yeah, Occarina of Time and RDR2 are several years apart, but that doesn't remove the fact that Ocarina is higher rated on Metacritic. But that doesn't mean that it's better, which I also didn't state about RDR2 in my first post.   

If you admit that metacritic scores are meaningless, why bother making a post like this to begin with knowing how it would turn out?  Seems to me like it was your intention to rile people up because your logic makes no sense in the grand scheme of things.

If someone asks what's the highest rated current generation game on Metacritic, the factual  answer is RDR2 or RDR2 Xbox version (both are correct). And your answer would be: "That can't be answered because games don't have the same amount of reviews."

But what is the point of these score lists if the "rules" aren't clear?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network

Simple add both scores and divide by 2

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

BOTW got the same score and won over 100 GOTY awards.

R2D2 didn’t even win Geoff game awards 2018.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Shiken said:

If someone asks what's the highest rated current generation game on Metacritic, the factual  answer is RDR2 or RDR2 Xbox version (both are correct). And your answer would be: "That can't be answered because games don't have the same amount of reviews."

But what is the point of these score lists if the "rules" aren't clear?

No the factual answer would be Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2.  Normal people would take one look at the 97 score and know that they are all three the highest this gen.  Normal people would not look at the overall review count sure, but normal people also would also not count decimals on a site where they do not display decimals.

You said it yourself, what is the point if the rules are not clear?  Perhaps you should ask yourself that question before posting.  You were the one who started this whole mess with cherry picking and only looking at what what you want to see.  Everyone else is just calling you out for it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

LOL, looks like RDR2 already got surpassed by games that came out before it.  Also if you look at user reviews both BotW and Mario Odyssey are higher.  RDR2 is not the highest rated game.

Maybe the OP meant to say, "What games can surpass RDR2 as the most OVERRATED game?"

That list is from Gamerankings not Metacritic, which also has more reviews than Gamerankings. 

And saying that RDR2 is overrated is not a valid argument unless you also want to apply it to Zelda and Mario games.

It's overrated because the actual player doesn't think it's that great of a game.  Just compare the critic scores to the user scores on Metacritic.

RDR2 (XB1)
Metascore: 97 User score 7.3 (or 73 equivalent) difference: 24 points

RDR2 (PS4)
Metascore: 97 User score: 7.9 (or 79) difference: 18 points

BotW (Switch)
Metascore: 97 User score 8.5 (or 85)  difference: 12 points

Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Metascore: 97 User score: 8.9 (or 89) difference: 8 points

The biggest gap between the user base and the critics is on RDR2.  That makes the game OVERRATED.  It is rated too highly by critics.  Players think the game is decent but nothing special.  Players are saying RDR2 is OVERRATED.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

That list is from Gamerankings not Metacritic, which also has more reviews than Gamerankings. 

And saying that RDR2 is overrated is not a valid argument unless you also want to apply it to Zelda and Mario games.

It's overrated because the actual player doesn't think it's that great of a game.  Just compare the critic scores to the user scores on Metacritic.

RDR2 (XB1)

RDR2 (PS4)

BotW (Switch)

Mario Odyssey (Switch)

The biggest gap between the user base and the critics is on RDR2.  That makes the game OVERRATED.  It is rated too highly by critics.  Players think the game is decent but nothing special.  Players are saying RDR2 is OVERRATED.

So now User score is important huh

Mr.Joker said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

RDR2 (XB1)

RDR2 (PS4)

BotW (Switch)

Mario Odyssey (Switch)

So now User score is important huh

When people review bombed Breath of the Wild Sony fans seemed to think they were.  After the storm cleared and they settled in at 8.5, now all of a sudden they act like they do not.

Funny how double standards work.  The bottom line is that in most ways you break it down, RDR2 IS NOT the highest rated current gen game on meta critic.  The OP is highlighting the one and very flawed, instance where it is (when you look at the version that got only 33 reviews instead of the one that got 94).  All people are doing is using hos own cherry picking logic against the OP to show him just how ridiculous his claims are.

However considering this kind of reaction was likely what he was after all along, he is probably patting himself on the back.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Wait a minute did the OP just put the least review version?

RDR2 XB1 at 33 reviews vs Zelda BOTW at 109 reviews. 

What a nice OP. 

Yeah, the point of this thread was to ask people what games could become the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. How else could I do it other than saying that RDR2 is currently the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. Which is true.

You don't count games scores by combining different console versions together, and I couldn't even do that because I don't work at Metacritic. Who knows which game would then be the more higher rated. But in that case you should also add BotW WiiU score (96 something), which would most likely make RDR2 the higher rated one.

There's no human on this planet would use the least review version as an argument except you.

Cobretti2 said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

Yeah, the point of this thread was to ask people what games could become the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. How else could I do it other than saying that RDR2 is currently the highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic. Which is true.

You don't count games scores by combining different console versions together, and I couldn't even do that because I don't work at Metacritic. Who knows which game would then be the more higher rated. But in that case you should also add BotW WiiU score (96 something), which would most likely make RDR2 the higher rated one.

You could do it the way I said to your previous message. Or the way you just said in bold, as the topic.

No one is combining consoles, Both RDR2 games are rated 97. The decimals do not matter lol. They don't matter because of the different review counts. The more people that review on a platform the likelihood more will hate it. 97 rounded on both systems is good enough for most people to accept they are equally the same. 

If someone asked what is the highest rated current generation game on Metacritic, what would you answer?

Metacritic also rounds scores by ingnoring decimals, so your method would put games scoring 97,1 and 97,9 as equal (97), and a 96,9 game below them (96).

- Single-player Game

BlackBeauty said:

BOTW got the same score and won over 100 GOTY awards.

R2D2 didn’t even win Geoff game awards 2018.

And they were competing against different games, so how is that relevant? Maybe God of War got underrated on Metacritic.

- Single-player Game