By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games can surpass RDR2 and BotW as the highest rated current generation game?

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

LOL, looks like RDR2 already got surpassed by games that came out before it.  Also if you look at user reviews both BotW and Mario Odyssey are higher.  RDR2 is not the highest rated game.

Maybe the OP meant to say, "What games can surpass RDR2 as the most OVERRATED game?"

That list is from Gamerankings not Metacritic, which also has more reviews than Gamerankings. 

And saying that RDR2 is overrated is not a valid argument unless you also want to apply it to Zelda and Mario games.

But the version (Xbox One) that has less reviews is the one that is rated higher than Zelda? The one with more reviews (PS4) is rated lower by Zelda. (Based on Metacritic). Regardless that they are all 97, and you chose to use RDR2 only, which is kind of suspect. I mean you do you I guess. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 29 December 2018

Around the Network
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Mnementh said:

But isn't your title misleading then? You only use Metacritic as source, exclude GTA V for ... reasons and use only one version of the game? Shouldn't the title be: What games can surpass the XBox One version of RDR2 as the on Metacritic highest rated current generation game excluding cross gen titles like GTA V?

Do you really think that that would be a good thread title? Isn't it a "bit" long? You could only see a part of it on the main page, so you wouldn't know what the thread is about. And I state in my first sentence that it's based on Metacritic. I wouldn't count GTA V as current generation because it was first released on last gen consoles.

Ok but after jimquisition took BotW down from a 98 to a 97, he was discredited from metacritic.  His review is still there AND BotW has more reviews that average out to the same 97 that RDR2 has, so your comparison is flawed entirely.  The title is bait because there could have been no way you would not have known that people would call you out on this, nor did you even use MC in the title.

To put things into perspective...

BotW has 106 positive reviews on the Switch version.

RDR2 has 96 positive reviews on the PS4 version.

Both games have a 97.

So if you want to count decimals, I will say that BotW has more positive reviews than RDR2 on metacritic, making it the more positively reviewed game.

Would it not be easier to just celebrate the success of all 94-97 (because God of War deserves some credit as the true GotY 2018) range games that released in just two years rather than cherry pick facts that discredit your argument in a failed attempt to make one 97 more relevant than two other 97s?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Wow this thread ended up worse than I could possibly imagine.

No one even said the correct answer: Knack 3

Yeah, when I made this thread I thought that a couple users might be a bit displeased, but I didn't know it would be this bad. Reminds me of the topic in your post that got you moderated a few days ago in the Moderator thread.

I was going to post that I forgot Knack 3, but got distracted by all these distracting posts.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

SKMBlake said:
If it can put some perspective, BOTW was rated 98 before the review of Jimquisition, which since was "banned" from Metacritic. So this thread is pointless, at least it shouldn't focus only on RDR2

Do you know why he was banned from Metacritic? Is it because the score (7,5/10) he gave to BotW? That would be ridiculous, because for example those review sites that gave Uncharted 4 a 4/10 and RDR2 "mind-bogglingly low" 7/10 have not been banned.

- Single-player Game

Nogamez said:
Wait i just checked, BOTW GTA5 SMO and RDR2 are all rated the same (97) so why you just cherry picked Red dead OP?

RDR2 is the highest on the list, so its score is a bit higher (the decimals just aren't being shown). I also don't "count" GTA5 as this generation, since it was first released on last gen consoles.

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Mnementh said:

But isn't your title misleading then? You only use Metacritic as source, exclude GTA V for ... reasons and use only one version of the game? Shouldn't the title be: What games can surpass the XBox One version of RDR2 as the on Metacritic highest rated current generation game excluding cross gen titles like GTA V?

How are people checking? When I go to the site it say 97 for XBOX ONE and PS4. 

The games are listed based on what decimal scores they have. Those decimals just aren't being shown. So those higher on the list have also higher scores.

- Single-player Game

kirby007 said:
Well played OP by implying and setting the next conditions
- switch isnt current gen
- cherrypicking by removing nintendo games from the equation

People this is class A bait

And of course the users posting history in general should have given you a warning

How did I remove Nintendo games or said that Switch isn't current gen? RDR2 is higher than BotW and Mario Odyssey in the list on Metacritic.

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
kirby007 said:

And of course the users posting history in general should have given you a warning

How did I remove Nintendo games or said that Switch isn't current gen? RDR2 is higher than BotW and Mario Odyssey in the list on Metacritic.

The PS4 version is BELOW Breath of the Wild on that list.  The X1 version is based off of less than 40 reviews while BotW is based off of over 100.  This is cherry picking and baiting at its finest.  Please just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.

And again, considering that BotW actually won GotY of its respective year while RDR2 lost to a 94 (GoW), it would suggest that BotW is the better game when you get right down to it.  See, I can cherry pick facts to support an argument too.

Is it that hard to accept the fact that RDR2, BotW, and Mario Odyssey are equal in their critical acclaim?  Hell I would even add God of War to that list as once you get into the 90s, even the smallest unwarranted discrepancy will knock it down a few points.  The fact that it won GotY 2018 with a 94 over the 97 that RDR2 got is testimonial to how pointless dwelling on decimals is when they get that high (or at all really).  Of course this is even magnified by the fact that your comparisons are flawed to begin with.

Last edited by Shiken - on 29 December 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Wait a minute did the OP just put the least review version?

RDR2 XB1 at 33 reviews vs Zelda BOTW at 109 reviews. 

What a nice OP. 

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
kirby007 said:

Honestly im the biggest expert on trolling an userbase i could have made this thread myself back in 07 or 08

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.