By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games can surpass RDR2 and BotW as the highest rated current generation game?

I think the only game that has a chance is GTA6

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Well two things..
1st - Why does RDR2 hold the Meta record to you this gen when 2 Nintendo Games came out previous to it that hold the same score? If anything Zelda BOTW was the first this gen to achieve a 97 meta so that's the game to beat not RDR2 which only matched the record.
2nd - I cannot see any game this gen surpassing a 97 meta, maybe come close to matching it but not getting a 98. Too many troll reviews out there that will guarantee it wont happy. (I might be wrong) but I highly doubt it.

Apparently, BotW is a "low" 97 in the Metacritic rankings. Not sure why...probably due to possible hidden decimals that ranks the difference between the games that score a 97 or whatnot. I guess that's what the OP means when mentioning RDR2 being the highest rated game of the generation in accordance to Metacritic.

Personally, it does not really matter much to me. Regardless of how different the 97 scores are, a great game is a great game. Hell, a game that has a Metacritic score of 70-80 is worth at least looking into.

I guess if you want my answer to the OP's question, here are some games that have a chance in the future:

- The next 3D Zelda (or 2D Zelda if it goes beyond what we could expect for a 2D-2.5D type game like ALttP did years ago)

- The next 3D Mario

- TLOU2

- Metroid Prime 4 (will be interesting as it's not being developed by Retro Studios this time around)

- Cyberpunk 2077 (I'm going by the prestige of CD Projekt Red, not sure how things will go with a new IP)

- GTA6 (if it does come out before this generation is over, though I have not heard any rumors regarding this potential game)

- Death Stranding (I guess if we're going by the reputation of Kojima as, so far, the gameplay has not intrigued me)

Kai_Mao said:
Azzanation said:
Well two things..
1st - Why does RDR2 hold the Meta record to you this gen when 2 Nintendo Games came out previous to it that hold the same score? If anything Zelda BOTW was the first this gen to achieve a 97 meta so that's the game to beat not RDR2 which only matched the record.
2nd - I cannot see any game this gen surpassing a 97 meta, maybe come close to matching it but not getting a 98. Too many troll reviews out there that will guarantee it wont happy. (I might be wrong) but I highly doubt it.

Apparently, BotW is a "low" 97 in the Metacritic rankings. Not sure why...probably due to possible hidden decimals that ranks the difference between the games that score a 97 or whatnot. I guess that's what the OP means when mentioning RDR2 being the highest rated game of the generation in accordance to Metacritic.

Actually Zelda both Beats and Loses to Red Dead on Metacritic. It is "greater" than the PS4 version, and "Lesser" than Xbox One Version, that is metacritic ranking. However the Xbox One Version also does not have the bulk of the reviews on it. 

However both titles are 97, and both are "highest rated current generation" games along with Super Mario Odyssey (making three titles with 97 for this generation). If you are going to do hidden decimal points to some insane degree that just being silly. 

The question for the thread should be will anything get 98 or join those three games. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 29 December 2018

OTBWY said:

These earlier games surpass it. Other games after it will too.

But that is not from Metacritic, but from Gamerankings. Metacritic also has more reviews. Was that a "stealthy" attempt to spread disinformation? I remember that during RDR2 launch you also had some "problems" accepting the fact that RDR2 is the highest rated game of this generation. 

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Since I see how well games are scoring on Metacritic that are due to micro transactions almost impossible to enjoy, those meta scores lost a lot of credibility in my sight.

Around the Network

What will a tiny group of strangers rate higher? I don't even care. All I know is that it would have to be a major release from someone like Rockstar, Nintendo, or Naughty Dog, because I very much doubt gaming publications are going to collectively put anything else on that kind of pedestal, deserving or not.

Shiken said:
OTBWY said:

These earlier games surpass it. Other games after it will too.

Huh, guess RDR2 isn't the highest rated current gen game.

That list is from Gamerankings. Metacritic also has more reviews. I wasn't suprised that that particular user tried to mislead people.

- Single-player Game

Cloudman said:
Shiken said:

Huh, guess RDR2 isn't the highest rated current gen game.

But it says 97 on its main page. Is the score rounded over then..?

No, that list that OTBWY posted was from Gamerankings, but he didn't mention that because he apparently wanted to steer this thread of the track.

- Single-player Game

Why am I not surprised this turned into a debate over which game really has the highest score.

Anyway, it would need to be something with enough mass appeal to win over virtually every critic, while simultaneously not just being a copy of a previous game. Out of any currently announced games, my first thought would be Last of Us 2, followed by Metroid Prime 4 and maybe Elder Scrolls 6 as a dark horse candidate. In the not so immediate future, GTA6, the next 3D Zelda, and the next 3D Mario are all decent candidates, although I'm not convinced any of those will end up releasing on current gen hardware.

Rdr2 deserves to be the highest rated game. Gta 6 and tlou2 have a chance but TLOU2 being exclusive to a playstation console will cost it a few points I feel.