By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favourite little details/interactions in games

too many to note really.... some of the tiny animation details in Smash brothers always put a smile on my face, ever since noticing this in Melee it really puts an extra layer of badass to Peach, her forward aerial attack... that slap she does in the air.... then you look in her hand, nasty princess!

NASTY! Crown knuckle duster.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

If you stand by Legion in Mass Effect 2 for a period of time he'll start dancing. It's pretty great.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

There's a lot to go into with Zelda Games, but I promise I'll finish with a few examples from games outside the Zelda Series:

In Zelda: Orcarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild:

• Cut-able Signposts, In particularly twilight Princess as Link can pick the pieces up and run around with them, while doing this he can chuck them or just place them on the ground. In all 3D Zelda's the chopping accuracy on the signposts are accurate enough for Link's sword attacks as you can chop them vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
  • I also love the Animals in all 3D Zelda's too. The subtly of the birds in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. The functionality and range of Animals in Breath and the Wild. The cat's from Twilight Princess. The Chickens in Ocarina of time. That dog in Majora's Mask. The pigs in Wind Waker. They are all so rememberable mainly due to their interactivity. ....oh and even the frogs in Ordon Village and the crabs on various island in the Wind Waker XD.
  • The miniwaterfalls in Forest Haven in Wind Waker. Climbing up. Falling down the rapids. Or finding that secret behind one of the waterfalls.
  • The Trees In Breath on the Wild, and the way you can pick up arrows after using them. The weather effects in Breath of the Wild too. The people's routines too as they walk up on a morning, walk out of houses and do their routine throughout the day, if it rains they run to shelter and stay there until the rain is finishes. When it is getting dark they set off back home and go to bed. Some NPCs explore outside of their village.
  • The fishing in Zelda (Particularly Twilight Princess) because of the fishing location with the cherry blossoms. Also the leaves in that location would fall from the trees and float across the top of the water. The Wii remote added that extra level of fishing immersion too. 
  • Link moves his head during game-play to look at things that are interable or NPC faces.
  • Cutting Grass.

There are other games too:

• Any games (particularly open-world games) where there is a day/night system. Different weather effects and a range of types of environments.
  • Visor effects in Metroid Prime series. Like water flowing down from your visor from stepping out from below the surface of a bog, or spots of rain/steam on visor.
  • Shooting holes through doors in Resident Evil 4. Also putting-up/kicking-down ladders. Pushing boxes in-front of doors too.
  • The A.I in Resident Evil 4. Being able to shoot them in their hand to make them drop their weapon, or in the arm, leg or face. They move out of the way or put their hand up to block the impact of the bullet from hitting their head. They can climb over fences and they can also break through windows and bang-on/open doors. They can set ladders up and climb up them. They sometimes through things too.
  • Opening/closing doors in Resident Evil 4, Dying Light, Fallout and Dead Island.
  • The fishing in Final Fantasy 15, also the means of Travel in Final Fantasy 15.
  • Climbable vents in Metal Gear Solid and Batman Arkham asylum.
  • Knocking on walls in Metal Gear solid. Also hiding in boxes/environment-objects too.
  • Riding the train system in Red Dead Redemption & Infamous series.
  • Destructible environments in general.
  • Placing objects anywhere in Fallout 3 & 4, and picking them up later.
  • Changing gear/clothing in Fallout/Elder-Scrolls/Xenoblade Chronicles/Animal Crossing/Zelda: BOTW.
  • Modifying your house in Animal Crossing, plus the objetcs you can put into your house. Particularly the NES games from the original Animal Crossing on GC. The music instruments are fun too.
  • Playing with pets by using toys in Nintendogs/Petz/Catz. Also petting the dogs in Nintendogs.
  • Trees in Super Mario 64. Jumping into Painting too. Swimable water (Also any other game with this feature. I liked it in Dying Light).
  • Pikachu following the player in pokemon Yellow.
  • Sonic Adventure Chao Garden, the Dreamscast memory card screen allowed you to play with it, even when the Dreamcast was turned off and the card removed, like a Tamagotchi.
  • There's a seen in Sonic Adventure where you ride a roller-coaster. I know it was just a scripted event, but I've always found it rememberable and nostalgic.
  • Petrol Pumps in Carmadeggon 64 and GTA series in general. Also running people/zombies over in GTA/Carmageddon.
  • The various cars/vehicles in GTA. The radio stations and different car controls.
  • Minigames and hobbies in GTA such as driving to a bar to play darts. The world in general in GTA. Also the A.I of the people.
  • Pissing into Urinals in the original Duke Nukem.
  • Creepy Butler that walks around the house in the original Tomb Rider. You can trap him in the freezer.
  • In the original Sims: Making a character take a shower then deleting the shower half while they are still showering.
  • Animals in Animal Crossing. Also the timer-system in Animal Crossing. Plus I love how you can plant trees wherever you can dig a hole, which is in most places on the map.
  • Everything little & big object that is interactable in Elebits/Eledees.
  • Being able to look around objects close up in VR in Resident Evil 7. You can look between boarded-up walls/windows, Varses, Plants, Wall-Paintings, flies flickering around lamps, candles, through holes in walls, gaps in gates, grass, ceilings, outside broken windows, on shelves, in draws, in bins/fridges under beds, etc. You can even crouch and look/move around making VR even more immersive.
  • Hiding in grass in Horizon: Zero Dawn.
  • All the detail in general in Red Dead Redemption 2. Everything in Red Dead Redemption 2.

There will be many more, but I can't think of them all at once XD. Interactable things in games are one of my favourite parts in games. I love finding little secrets and immersive details and subtle/hidden interactions. These are all rememberable Qualities in games.

Last edited by 00Xander00 - on 28 December 2018

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

00Xander00 said: 
  • Shooting holes through doors in Resident Evil 4. Also putting-up/kicking-down ladders. Pushing boxes in-front of doors too.
  • The A.I in Resident Evil 4. Being able to shoot them in their hand to make them drop their weapon, or in the arm, leg or face. They move out of the way or put their hand up to block the impact of the bullet from hitting their head. They can climb over fences and they can also break through windows and bang-on/open doors. They can set ladders up and climb up them. They sometimes through things too.

Totally agreed, one of my favourite things about RE4 was all these little touches. Pushing a cabinet in front of a door then blowing a hole in the door to shoot through it at the bad guys trying to break in was mind-blowingly cool back in the day, even most modern games don't have that kind of interactivity. And then you hear glass break upstairs cos while you were guarding the door they used a ladder to break into the second floor...
I also like how Leon will turn his head to look at enemies, bats, etc, or how he'll shield himself from nearby explosions, how when you harpoon the first boss they stay embedded in him and he leaves a trail or blood in the water, the invisible insect baddies being able to be spotted by their dripping saliva if you look closely enough, just so many awesome details.

I may be a bit biased, but personally I love the Etecoons and Dachora in Super Metroid. Especially that they can be saved before you escape. It makes every speedrun where you don't save them feel a bit sad and like you've let down your team.