By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

thismeintiel said:
Megiddo said:

Here is the week 51 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD % Goal AWN (Change)
PS4 75,793 -135,303 1,653,601 82.6% (+4.3) 346,399 (+135,303)
Switch 278,701 -180,952 3,359,395 83.9% (+6.9) 640,605 (+180,952)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

Somewhat surprising as both consoles are down for week 51. On Era they surmise that Christmas Eve not being in week 51 resulted in weaker numbers than expected which is possible. Nonetheless it looks like Switch will be the closest to its goal by percentage and it looks like the PS4 will be the closest to its goal by units. After an interesting year both systems seem to have performed (barring any craziness in the final week) around the same relative to their set goals.

Personal Estimates

NS: 120k, 145k, 240k, 200k, 295k, 250k = 1.25m would end just above 3.5 mil for the calendar year.

PS4: 20k, 25k, 30k, 25k, 40k, 30k = 170k would end up just above 1.5 mil for the calendar year.

Looks like the Switch will end up at ~3.64M, ~360K short of its goal, and PS4 will end up at ~1.73M, ~270K short of its goal. Well, if things remain flat next week. Can't really remember how Week 52 usually performs compared to 51.

In japan last year switch saw a 50% drop and 2016 3ds same, but some people say 24th december sales could help it a bit so maybe around 180k...

Around the Network

Saying that Switch HAS to do 3DS levels of sales just to be 'considered' a success is the definition of goal post moving imo. Just like people saying on twitter in a fight I saw that if PS4 doesnt reach PS2 levels of sales its considered a failure/non success,thats absurd.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Switch is out of control!

Am I the only one impressed by Smash managing to be up WoW on Week 3 ? I think after this performance we might see a more crowded December in 2019

PwerlvlAmy said:
Saying that Switch HAS to do 3DS levels of sales just to be 'considered' a success is the definition of goal post moving imo. Just like people saying on twitter in a fight I saw that if PS4 doesnt reach PS2 levels of sales its considered a failure/non success,thats absurd.

It obviously can be considered a success without even doing Wii levels of sales. PS4 and Switch are doing quite well in a constantly shrinking market.

However, Switch did/will replace both Wii U and 3DS, while the PS4 only replaced the PS3. So people often have lofty expectations. PS5 (hybrid or not) will replace PS4 and PSV next gen so I can definitely foresee similar levels of disappointment.

Around the Network
think-man said:

Not really...From this sub-300.000 result, the 20M goal is now less reachable.

They are doing the same quantity as last year, but they need to do +33%.

Last edited by Amnesia - on 26 December 2018

Great Switch sales! though it would've been cool if it did 300k+.  Smash increasing from last week and outselling almost every Switch game wih the exception of Splat2n 

Interesting that Super Mario Party is above Pokemon.

Poor DQB2, it did a lot worse than the first game. Switch version really close to the PS4 one.

drinkandswim said:
zorg1000 said:

I get what you're saying, I just thought was wording was a bit off but I agree with your point overall.

Switch does not need to beat 3DS to be a success, if it sells ~20 million that will be a huge success right there in the NES/SNES/PS1/PS2/GBA/PSP/3DS range (17m-25m)

The other thing people aren't taking into account is that the 3DS launched at $249 and was dropped to $169 after 6 months due to being well below forecasted Sales. Nintendo Switch hasn't undergone a price drop yet. Nintendo 3DS sales include the original 3DS, original 2DS, new 3DS, and New 2DS. PS4 Lifetime Sales include both the original PS4 and the PS4 Pro. So Technically Nintendo Switch's install base is already larger than the PS4. And its tough to compare a $300 system to a $170 system or less. There is a 2DS model I believe as low as $79.99 right now. 

Absolutely, I have actually been saying this same thing for awhile. 3DS getting a big price cut in year 1 and its first revision in year 2 caused it to have much bigger and earlier peak sales but it also caused it to have an early and harsh decline.

3DS

2011-4.28m

2012-5.50m

2013-4.88m

2014-3.18m

2015-2.35m

2016-1.97m

2017-1.66m

2018-~0.54m

I dont see Switch ever having those monster sales of 2012/2013 that 3DS had but with its announced lineup and potential revision/price cut (both in form of cheaper revision) could lead it to having moderate growth in year 3 and moderate decline in year 4 vs moderate decline and major decline that 3DS had in year 3 and 4 which can help bridge the gap between the two in LTD sales.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I wonder how much Dragon Quest Builders 2 got eaten by the competition. When the first game came out, it was the big release and was up against just about nothing. Of note, Nintendo's big release that week was Mario Tennis for the Wii U. This time around, the sequel had to go up against Smash, Mario Party and Pokemon, all still pulling huge numbers. Makes you wonder if Square Enix would have been smarter to do another January release.

Amnesia said:
think-man said:

Not really...From this sub-300.000 result, the 20M goal is now less reachable.

They are doing the same quantity as last year, but they need to do +33%.

You really think doing 22k more in Japan this week would make any difference?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.