By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

PwerlvlAmy said:
Saying that Switch HAS to do 3DS levels of sales just to be 'considered' a success is the definition of goal post moving imo. Just like people saying on twitter in a fight I saw that if PS4 doesnt reach PS2 levels of sales its considered a failure/non success,thats absurd.

Yep! That is like saying the PS3 is a failure because it did not beat PS2. 

And lets not forget. The 3DS needed a price cut early in its life. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Jranation said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Saying that Switch HAS to do 3DS levels of sales just to be 'considered' a success is the definition of goal post moving imo. Just like people saying on twitter in a fight I saw that if PS4 doesnt reach PS2 levels of sales its considered a failure/non success,thats absurd.

It wouldn't mean that it's a failure. But Nintendo merged its handheld with its home console, so it could be disappointing for them if the result was lower than the handheld alone. 

In my opinion, that's what should happen when we watch the trajectories of handheld market and mobile market (first one is falling as hard as the second one is raising), but I guess Nintendo viewed the hybrid as a way to grow, not just fall slower.

Anyway, the Switch has very strong sales so far, we'll see how high it will go! 

The point is they are making much more money bc price is smth like double from 3ds... I guess if that if they were not satisfied they would already discounted it

Jranation said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

If their goal when they released the ps3 was to sell more then the PS2 then yes it was a failure using that metric. And I'm sure they did want to outsell it.

Likewise I'm sure the goal with the ps4 was to outsell the ps3 in Japan. Likewise I'm sure Nintendo would like the Switch to outsell the 3ds since it's replacing it and the Wii U. 

Last edited by Kerotan - on 26 December 2018

I'm disappointed with Switch sales declining over last week.

I'm also disappointed ps4 declined over last week too. Didn't expect that. It's up over this week last year at least.
Happy to see DQB2 having the higher debut on ps4. Judge eyes looks a good success.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

If their goal when they released the ps3 was to sell more then the PS4 then yes it was a failure using that metric. And I'm sure they did want to outsell it.

Likewise I'm sure the goal with the ps4 was to outsell the ps3 in Japan. Likewise I'm sure Nintendo would like the Switch to outsell the 3ds since it's replacing it and the Wii U. 

I also think their goal is that, which will take some 8 years at least, but I guess they are selling more software than 3ds so thats an important point too (I mean 3ds sold 370M life time and they were expecting the switch to sell 100M only this year)

Faelco said:
Jranation said:

It wouldn't mean that it's a failure. But Nintendo merged its handheld with its home console, so it could be disappointing for them if the result was lower than the handheld alone. 

In my opinion, that's what should happen when we watch the trajectories of handheld market and mobile market (first one is falling as hard as the second one is raising), but I guess Nintendo viewed the hybrid as a way to grow, not just fall slower.

Anyway, the Switch has very strong sales so far, we'll see how high it will go! 

They obviously would like Switch to outsell 3DS but it's kind of like PS3 to PS4 in Japan. Overall does it matter if Switch & PS4 fail to outsell their predecessors in Japan if they comfortably outsell them worldwide? I think that's sort of the situation they are in at the moment.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Unless Nintendo do something monumentally stupid, (like mid-90s Sega/2006 Sony/Wii U levels of stupid) Switch will easily outsell the 3DS, globally at least. 3DS needed a price cut to $170 within its first year just to get off the ground, Switch is selling just as well at nearly double the price. With price cuts, hardware revisions, and killer apps like Pokemon Gen 8 and Animal Crossing still to come, Switch is on course to sell over 100 million lifetime, topping 3DS + Wii U comfortably.

As to the OP, nice to see Switch still accounting for over 70% of all hardware sold for the week. DQB2 sales are quite close between Switch and PS4; going multiplat between the two really is the best option for Japanese third parties going forwards.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 December 2018

We're talking about Japan though not WW

Kerotan said:
We're talking about Japan though not WW

I doubt companies like Sony and Nintendo base their overall assessment of product's performance solely on how they perform against their predecessor in a single country though.

I mean, just speaking theoretically, let's say PS4 smashes PS3 sales worldwide but falls slightly short in Japan. Is Sony going to consider that a failure? Fuck no.

Ditto for Switch and 3DS. The notion that to be successful Switch must outsell 3DS in Japan is just silly. People are constantly setting these absurd benchmarks for what Switch must do to qualify as a "success" and it's tiresome.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 December 2018