By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Nintendo fans buy any first party titles"

Hi everyone. I just saw this thread here and felt the need to write an addition http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238766&page=1

Some people claim that Nintendo ist successful because they can rely on their dedicated fanbase to buy every game and anything that they release. I don't think so, honestly. This is another misconception that can't die for some reason. If this flawed logic WAS indeed true, how come Star Fox Zero or Metroid Prime Federation Force or Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival aren't multimillion sellers? Strange, huh?

In reality, any game - be it first party or third party - earns exactly that amount of success which it deserves. There are exceptions, like some hidden gems, any library has some of these, but they are just that - exceptions. But Mario Kart games for example sell like hotcakes because they are pure fun, simple as that.

In my opinion this misconception derives from the fact that Nintendo has a very diverse library with nearly every genre covered, and Nintendo is a major player in almost any of the genres. So that makes some people think about how this is possible, and the easy answer is that Nintendo fans simply buy anything that Nintendo shits out. Wrong. It's rather that the Nintendo fanbase is just as diverse as Nintendo's output and some like these games and some like others, at the end of the day the sales gravitate towards those games that can reach as many people as possible. This also explains why some of Nintendo's IPs like Fire Emblem don't reach the sales potential of a Zelda game, for instance.

So basically, the argument that Nintendo fans buy anything is a big fat lie.

Around the Network

Do we really need a thread on every possible misconception that people may or may not have about Nintendo fans? Don't get me wrong - these misconceptions can be annoying, but it's getting to the point where it comes off like the Nintendo community on this site is just too sensitive and is constantly feeling victimized. This is just lame. The thread you replied to was a product of another thread, which was a product of something the OP of the other thread read from yet another thread (which was turned into an argument about lack of competition or not). That's three threads in a row which began or devolved into very similar forms of arguments.

It doesn't even make sense to use literal arguments against a figurative point. How many people actually believe that every possible Nintendo fan buys every Nintendo game out there? No one, because that's not how that argument is applied.

User Warned for this post/culmination of other posts made in this thread by ~PwerlvlAmy

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 26 December 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Do we really need a thread on every possible misconception that people may or may not have about Nintendo fans? Don't get me wrong - these misconceptions can be annoying, but it's getting to the point where it comes off like the Nintendo community on this site is just too sensitive and is constantly feeling victimized. This is just lame. The thread you replied to was a product of another thread, which was a product of something the OP of the other thread read from yet another thread (which was turned into an argument about lack of competition or not). That's three threads in a row which began or devolved into very similar forms of arguments.

It doesn't even make sense to use literal arguments against a figurative point. How many people actually believe that every possible Nintendo fan buys every Nintendo game out there? No one, because that's not how that argument is applied.

Yes.

GoOnKid said:

Yes.

That's honestly sad. 

GoOnKid said:

Yes.

That's honestly sad. 

I rather find it sad that some people can't allow Nintendo to be succesful and try to discredit them in any possible way just to make themselves feel better. It's intolerance like this that I have a problem with, so I want to point out how flawed it is. The mission is to stop the hate and let every company in this business be successful so that we as a gaming comunity can strife and enjoy our common hobby.

Except EA, they're cancer.

Around the Network

For those who think every Nintendo 1st party title is successful, let me remind you of a small title called Codename S.T.E.A.M. ...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

GoOnKid said:

That's honestly sad. 

I rather find it sad that some people can't allow Nintendo to be succesful and try to discredit them in any possible way just to make themselves feel better. It's intolerance like this that I have a problem with, so I want to point out how flawed it is. The mission is to stop the hate and let every company in this business be successful so that we as a gaming comunity can strife and enjoy our common hobby.

Except EA, they're cancer.

But you're not even countering the argument being made - you're just taking it so literally as to try to create a substantive counter-point. The overall point that Nintendo can rely on it's core audience to buy it's software isn't even wrong, and it's not something that has to be negative either. Like many other things it's just a fact in a void, and how you interpret it or use it is up to you. That's why Wii U games sold so well despite the proportionally small userbase, that's why 3DS games sold as well as DS games despite the platform having half the installbase, because Nintendo can rely on their core userbase to buy their software. And what's wrong with that? Nothing. That's why instead of arguing against that (which is practically a fact by now), you should argue why it doesn't matter. Nintendo games are universally considered amazing, or at the very least pretty good, entry from entry. We can read between the lines and say that anyone who says that Nintendo sells games because their hardcore userbase gobbles up whatever they release is trying to downplay the success of these titles. But if these games are universally loved, does that really matter as a benchmark for how worthy of success a game is? No. And you almost said this in your OP, when you explain how games get as much success as they "earn", but you didn't quite get there.

What you shouldn't do and did is take that figurative point and address it to the most literal degree. People might argue that Nintendo fans gobble up anything from Nintendo. That doesn't mean they're being so literal as to not allow a few exceptions in there. In fact, you ironically highlight games which didn't sell as well as they should as "exceptions", but don't see how someone making the same argument could do the same thing. Especially since they aren't even "exceptions", they're universally hated or disliked games, which are obviously going to sell less. Bringing up the counter-point that Star Fox Zero didn't sell, therefore Nintendo fans don't buy "any first party title", is like saying Samus Returns didn't sell well so Metroid should die. There's a lot of circumstances that make it an irrelevant talking point, especially because I've never even read something as on the nose as the thread's title (definitely not in the literal sense at least). 

Most of all though, I just find it lame because it comes off as so insecure. Two threads created and one thread devolved of Nintendo fans just being extremely defensive. Nothing personal and there's nothing wrong with that inherently, it's just eh. I guess I could be considered a Nintendo fan but, this kind of thing is just unnecessary. There's always going to be a few bad apples and you aren't going to change minds by making a thread for every possible misconception.

Well to be fair soem 3rd party games on Nintendo don't earn the success they deserve.

People go, oh it plays at 60fps or doesn't look as good as PS4 Pro version. Well yer it's limited in hardware. They shoudl be saying does it play well on the hardware it is on? if yes and you got no other hardware than buy it. A fair few Nintendo guys have a line in the sand that moves lol.

Darwinianevolution said:
For those who think every Nintendo 1st party title is successful, let me remind you of a small title called Codename S.T.E.A.M. ...

If you want more recent examples, try Sushi Strikers or Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers. (Or every game released on the 3DS in 2018...)

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

I dont even buy Smash Bro's. I really just like Zelda and 3d mario