Fallout 3 
Persona 4
Sonic Unleashed
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Soulcalibur IV
Gears of War 2
Just to name a few...

Plenty of notable games turned 10 this year. Out of all the ones listed the only ones I have played were Brawl, MKWii, GTA IV, and Sonic Unleashed. 

Looking back, surprisingly the game that aged the best out of the ones I played was Unleashed. That game had a lot of great things going for it that have helped it age smoothly, (fantastic music, beautiful graphics and art style that suits Sonic very well, solid story, awesome Day Time Stages). The Werehog still feels as unnecessary today as it did back then though, which is a shame. If they had just worked out the story and game in a way where Knuckles would have been playable, at least the hack 'n' slash, beat 'em up style would have fit him much better, or just cut it out entirely, Unleashed would have been right up there with Adventure 2 and Generations among the best 3D Sonic games for me. But, that's just me.

Thoughts on some of the games that turned 10 this year?

Around the Network

Interesting list. Some of the big names at the start of the PS3/360 generation it seems.

MGS4 was a game I dreamed of playing for years and years. It took me a while to get a PS3 and then the game itself cause I originally wanted to get the complete collection bundle (I just got the individual game in the end, lol). I have to say, it's definitely not the 10/10 people were claiming it was at the time. The story jumped the shark way too many times and the gameplay seemed still like it was still trying to figure out modern shooter conventions. Yet it's still a highly entertaining game with memorable moments, characters and a perfect final boss. Oh and the part where you pilot a Metal Gear is badass as fuck.

GTA IV is a game that also got a lot of hype and hate in later years. I've also dreamed of playing it and when I finally did, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's limited in some ways in comparison to SA. But I just love the gritty ambiance and the story, while not perfect, it's a definite improvement over what came before. It's my favorite GTA to date (and I still get weird looks when I say this, lol).

GoW: Chains of Olympus is one of the best experiences on the PSP. It's one of the first games I truly enjoyed from the console. I remember the final boss was freaking HARD. She killed you in 2-3 hits in the harder difficulties. I kept thinking it was a "supposed-to-lose-fight" and I just had to endure a bit before something happened and the fight got more balanced. Nope, lol. Still, it's one of the jewels in the PSP's library for sure.

Hey cousin wanna come bowling with me? I mean... Roman it's been 10 years... maybe we could just play a game? See if you like it more than running over hookers eh?.... please Roman.... the family worries for you!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

No Burnout Paradise = bad list.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Took Brawl 10 years to be beaten in quality.

Around the Network

Burnout Paradise which came out in early 2008 I like better then any of the games mentioned that is why bought it on the 360, PS3 and X1. Other good game from 2008 that should have been mentioned are Saints Row 2, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Midnight Club: Los Angles and Valkyria Chronicles.

Some more I liked where Dead Space, Fable 2, Prince of Persia and Far Cry 2.

Last edited by Chris Hu - on 25 December 2018

de Blob and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia are two highlights from this year for me. I'm going to revisit de Blob at some point when the port comes down in price on the Switch eShop. I'd like to see how it plays without motion controls. Order of Ecclesia I never completed. Should go back to it and try and finish some time.

MGS IV was my fav Metal Gear. I was never that big a fan until that particular game tbh. Probably had something to do with hating the terrible controls, which were terrible, and I hated because they were terrible. MGS was good enough in that regard, but MGS 2.....It felt like I was trying to move Snake around with my butthole and 2 drumsticks. Shame. Shame on those controls when there where already fine examples of how to make a game with the well established dual analog stick setup. For shame.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Great year.
There's also a soft spot in my heart for Gears of War 2 and the amazing Horde Mode. Still my pick for best graphics '08.