By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... The NES Service! Does anyone besides me ever play this?

I haven't even tried the online yet. I have too much backlog stuff from Black Friday, to worry about the online service for now.

Around the Network

It's missing my two favourites, SMB2 and Legend of Zelda II.

I expect Nintendo to tell us their plans regarding the future of their service this month in their Direct. And I really hope for them to add snes to the list. Otherwise I believe they got no actual clue what to do.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I might use it. If I had an online subscription. I refuse to pay them for doing so little so bad.

As for Metroid (NES)... is only fun if you know what you're doing before starting. I played Zero Mission before Metroid (NES), so I had a general idea of where was every power up, were to go and what to do. That allowed me to have a good time with the game, even if I got lost from time to time.

But if you go blind, it's an incredibly boring, frustrating and overall stupid game. Almost every room has like tons of clones of itself. Like... you enter a room. You exit that room. Enter another room. AND IT'S THE EXACT FUCKING SAME AS BEFORE. I understand this is due to the limitations of the NES back then, but the reason hardly matter: it is what it is. Let's add to the mix that we don't have a map, that there are some unfair situations like enemies that will go through doors and will be able to kill you even if you are exiting the room or sections with a super narrow corridors that won't allow you to jump and doge the enemies that come flying at you from left and right... and also let's remember that passwords can only let you start from the beginning of the area where you died (at 30hp). Although I guess that in the Switch you have savestates, so that doesn't really matter.

Anyways, to me Metroid is a terrible game. Mostly due to hardware limitations, but that doesn't really matter in the end.

OTBWY said:

Zelda 2 will be my next major adventure. I expect it in the next update or two. I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but I think you’ve pretty much said it: I’m with you on being one of the few who likes Zelda 2 better than the first.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
OTBWY said:

Zelda 2 will be my next major adventure. I expect it in the next update or two. I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but I think you’ve pretty much said it: I’m with you on being one of the few who likes Zelda 2 better than the first.

It's a more rewarding experience. The game is hard, cryptic and has the classic Zelda touch. It's really underrated.

Vodacixi said:
I might use it. If I had an online subscription. I refuse to pay them for doing so little so bad.

As for Metroid (NES)... is only fun if you know what you're doing before starting. I played Zero Mission before Metroid (NES), so I had a general idea of where was every power up, were to go and what to do. That allowed me to have a good time with the game, even if I got lost from time to time.

But if you go blind, it's an incredibly boring, frustrating and overall stupid game. Almost every room has like tons of clones of itself. Like... you enter a room. You exit that room. Enter another room. AND IT'S THE EXACT FUCKING SAME AS BEFORE. I understand this is due to the limitations of the NES back then, but the reason hardly matter: it is what it is. Let's add to the mix that we don't have a map, that there are some unfair situations like enemies that will go through doors and will be able to kill you even if you are exiting the room or sections with a super narrow corridors that won't allow you to jump and doge the enemies that come flying at you from left and right... and also let's remember that passwords can only let you start from the beginning of the area where you died (at 30hp). Although I guess that in the Switch you have savestates, so that doesn't really matter.

Anyways, to me Metroid is a terrible game. Mostly due to hardware limitations, but that doesn't really matter in the end.

I played it blind and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Although, I do think that people who have a good head for memorizing areas will enjoy it (and these types of games in general) a lot more. While a lot of the areas are mirrors, for the most part I was fine with it because I enjoyed the obstacle course of it, and most of those repetitive rooms take seconds to get through, and the aiming/shooting (especially with freeze beam) gets really fun when you get good at it.

On difficulty, I found it was on the easier side of most NES games: Zelda 1, for example, is WAY more difficult. Super Mario Bros 3 as well.

But playing cautious is rewarding in Metroid, and if you’re someone who played a lot of monster hunter over the last 10-15 years or so, this isn’t going to be a problem... or even RPGs like Xenoblade where tactical retreats are a thing. But, I agree, the lack of a consistent health restoring location can be painful: and it did force me to slightly abuse save states in the final section of the game; for the most part, it takes A LOT of damage to even lose 1 energy tank, in the final area those energy tanks can go down in seconds.

A remake of Metroid with 3 full restore locations would have been nice: 1 at the beginning of the game and 1 at the start of each lair.

There's just not anything on there that I'm dying to play. Super Mario Bros 3 is really the only nes game available that I can see myself putting a decent amount of time into. If they give me Zelda 2, kid Icarus, dragon quest 1-4, faxanadu, or contra I'd be all over it

Hmmm, so I have found a few things out about Metroid:

1. There are 8 Energy tanks total, I missed 2 of them (even though I am sure I scoured the entire map) - I am not sure which two they were, but there is one existing inside a false block in the Kraid room IN the acid pit just above the acid; I would NEVER have found that one =D

2. Starting the game again gives me all of my upgrades (Varia Suit, High Jump, Ice Beam) at the beginning, which means I can play the game again, although much less cautiously, and therefore much more quickly - I want to do it soon since I still have the whole map in my memory.

3. Completing the game in under 3 hours gets Samus to strip down to her underwear, and she will wear that suit upon starting again.

Looks like more Metroid in the near future.

I play it from time to time. This weekend my brother was round playing NES Metroid and I was giving him some advice since that game can be rough for modern gamers. I personally enjoy it, but I do think it is surpassed by every entry afterwards. Keep playing and eventually you will encounter Metroids, lots of them. I won't spoil the ending but I will suggest you try out the NG+ afterwards.