By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 50 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 10 -16 2018

What a great week for ps4. Well up on the same week of last year which just proves a price cut will have a positive effect even in year 5 or 6.
It's now 520k+ up on ps3 aligned. Next week 7.5m and it will hit the fabled 8m mark faster then the ps3 did.

Judge eyes sales are good too. Can't wait for next week.

Around the Network
Marth said:
Imagine how bad this would have been for PS4 if it did not get such a good a deal for the holidays.

Labo again in the top 20 :D
Captain Toad returns as well
Switch top 20 software this week is more than double compared to last year (772k vs 357k)

Very excited for next week.

But then imagine how good the ps4 sales would be all year if they priced the ps4 and pro as good as the west. These sales are long overdue. 

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Travis Strikes Again
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Daemon X Machina
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Animal Cross NS
Pokémon Gen 8 A&B
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order
Shin Megami Tensei V
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4

We are looking at a very strong 2019 for Nintendo Switch. Now…a couple of those games might not come out next year, but regardless, I think 2018 will top 2018 in both hardware and software sales, Japan and world wide.

Acevil said:
tbone51 said:

Splat2 is 3.08mil (ship+digital). Smash wont pass it, splat2 should add another 200k+ or more for the quarter

How far is it from both DQ games? 

1st year

Splat2 1.765mil

DQ3DS 1.761mil

DQPS4 1.369mil

DQ11 3.130mil

Splat2 vs DQ11

Splatoon2: 2.768mil

DQ(ps4): 1.390mil
DQ(3ds): 1.785mil
DQ(Com): 3.175mil

Splat2 losing by... 408k retail

Ship+Digital DQ should be around 3.5mil. Splat2 was 3.08mil by sept

Megiddo said:

Here is the week 50 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD % Goal AWN (Change)
PS4 81,594 -86,334 1,577,808 78.9% (+4.1) 211,096 (+43,168)
Switch 281,213 -118,960 3,080,694 77.0% (+7.0) 459,653 (+59,480)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

Switch continues amazing sales by staying flat the week after Smash. PS4 with a slight rise. Switch is now over 3 million and PS4 is now over 1.5 million. In terms of percentages the Switch is now less than 2% away from overtaking the PS4 which should easily happen in next week's numbers. For my predictions I expected a soft decline after Smash but was off once more and the PS4 has already far surpassed what I thought it would do before the big promotion was announced..

Personal Estimates

NS: 120k, 145k, 240k, 200k, 295k, 250k = 1.25m would end just above 3.5 mil for the calendar year.

PS4: 20k, 25k, 30k, 25k, 40k, 30k = 170k would end up just above 1.5 mil for the calendar year.

I expected a large rise after this week for the Switch, and I still do. Week 51 should be massive.

I told you week 50 would be flat

I've overestimated each week by ~15% hopefully week 51 & 52 are higher than my predictions.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Damn that massive Switch sale. No real competition at all in Japan.. Firmly control of all top software and full on pacman in the hardware.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

The Switch essentially flat from last week. Very impressive! Should top last year’s numbers as early as next werk. Then with the games Nintendo and 3rd parties have planned for 2029 + a possible price cut or hardware revision... LOOK OUT!

PAOerfulone said:
The Switch essentially flat from last week. Very impressive! Should top last year’s numbers as early as next werk. Then with the games Nintendo and 3rd parties have planned for 2029 + a possible price cut or hardware revision... LOOK OUT!

I think you meant 2019. :P

Oops. Damn iPhone touchpad! 😂

konnichiwa said:
trestres said:
Another smashing week for the Switch

I didn't knew you were still active, would you kindly make Japan 'releases' threads like you did with the Wii?

Hey! I'm back for a while, last time I promised I would and didn't do it for more than a couple of weeks. I will try, I've been away for too long and I feel lost Japan wise. Need to do some research first and get up to date with everything

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies