By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 50 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 10 -16 2018

zorg1000 said:
outlawauron said:

They said it was already more than double the previous best first month sales for Dragon Quest.

In terms of revenue, it also cost twice as much as the previous record holder so essentially a wash.

More than double the revenue. $40 vs $60. While unit sales certainly are not double, it's easily the best selling entry in the West. I don't understand the downplay.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:

In terms of revenue, it also cost twice as much as the previous record holder so essentially a wash.

More than double the revenue. $40 vs $60. While unit sales certainly are not double, it's easily the best selling entry in the West. I don't understand the downplay.

It's not the best selling it just had the best opening, both VIII and IX sold more than it in the west with both these games crossing the 1.2m mark while XI sold around 700k from what was last indicated.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 24 December 2018

outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:

I kind of agree, but I haven't been following sales enough to know. A lot of would-be-obscure Japanese games have made a decent splash in the West recently. The game was surprisingly well received on PC, and the digital prices for it have to my recollection been a little bit better than the physical. I would guess it did decently. 

outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:

DQ9 launched at $35, not $40 and you are being too defensive if you think I'm downplaying. If you are going to say it did double the first month than it must be stated that it's in terms of revenue, not units. Not doing so is just intentionally spreading misinformation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:

Best selling here = best revenue but this game also cost a lot more than any DQ game before so no, not downplay, just pointing the fact

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
outlawauron said:

DQ9 launched at $35, not $40 and you are being too defensive if you think I'm downplaying. If you are going to say it did double the first month than it must be stated that it's in terms of revenue, not units. Not doing so is just intentionally spreading misinformation.

I paid $40 for a retail copy of that game the day it came out. Square Enix practiced premium pricing on their games on both DS and 3DS.

Wyrdness said:
outlawauron said:

It's not the best selling it just had the best opening, both VIII and IX sold more than it in the west with both these games crossing the 1.2m mark while XI sold around 700k from what was last indicated.

Lifetime sure, but we were talking about the first month lol.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
zorg1000 said:

I paid $40 for a retail copy of that game the day it came out. Square Enix practiced premium pricing on their games on both DS and 3DS.

Wyrdness said:

Lifetime sure, but we were talking about the first month lol.

MSRP was 34.99, I did finally research it, because I did hear both prices constantly. 

theDX said:

That massive drop at the end. 

Pocky Lover Boy!