By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch outsold the original Xbox

Wyrdness said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Those platforms did so bad we celebrated every time they passed a million.

Frankly, I own all of these failed platforms as well. I have a OG Xbox, Gamecube, Vita, and Wii U sitting around. But not every milestone matters.

Actually no those platforms did what was standard for most gen as outside of market leader most serious comepetitors would often end up in the 20-30m range it was normal until the 360 gen.

Around the 5th gen is probably when we saw the market grow significantly, maybe people around the world started using the same platforms, etc.

Either way, Switch is technically 9th gen. At this point, a console only selling 20-30 million in its life would be considered a failure among the big three. I mean 30 million might have arguably seemed great for Wii U and Vita considering how they ended up, but they both aimed for better than that I imagine.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Look, we gotta put a cap on when celebrate _____ out selling _____.

The only real Nintendo console that didn't outsell the Xbox was the Wii U, it was a disaster. Kudos to the Switch, it will likely sell a 100 million units or whatever.

Did you just suggest that the Gamecube was not a real Nintendo console?

I know I’d certainly agree with that suggestion =)

But I feel similarly about the Wii U. They weren’t major Nintendo consoles, more like stopgaps.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Congrats now to march on my favorite nintendo console, the might N64

SpokenTruth said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Around the 5th gen is probably when we saw the market grow significantly, maybe people around the world started using the same platforms, etc.

Either way, Switch is technically 9th gen. At this point, a console only selling 20-30 million in its life would be considered a failure among the big three. I mean 30 million might have arguably seemed great for Wii U and Vita considering how they ended up, but they both aimed for better than that I imagine.

Current (8th gen).  Unless you think you can convince the entire industry they are wrong and you are right.

Jumpin said:

I know I’d certainly agree with that suggestion =)

But I feel similarly about the Wii U. They weren’t major Nintendo consoles, more like stopgaps.

Stopgaps?  Between what and what?

Yeah Switch is 8th gen, don't know what that guy is talking about.

Also don't get that guy's stopgaps comment. Wii U wasn't a stopgap, it was just halfway between two successful ideas, and it turned out half way between two things is a bad thing. And Gamecube was a great console, not sure why anyone would ever think there was something wrong with it. Just because it didn't sell much doesn't mean it wasn't awesome.

Slownenberg said:
SpokenTruth said:

Current (8th gen).  Unless you think you can convince the entire industry they are wrong and you are right.

Stopgaps?  Between what and what?

Yeah Switch is 8th gen, don't know what that guy is talking about.

Also don't get that guy's stopgaps comment. Wii U wasn't a stopgap, it was just halfway between two successful ideas, and it turned out half way between two things is a bad thing. And Gamecube was a great console, not sure why anyone would ever think there was something wrong with it. Just because it didn't sell much doesn't mean it wasn't awesome.

Sorry have to disagree with you both he's not wrong in him saying it's 9th gen as it succeeded an 8th gen platform, current doesn't mean two different gens can't be active at the same time.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Wyrdness said:

Sorry have to disagree with you both he's not wrong in him saying it's 9th gen as it succeeded an 8th gen platform, current doesn't mean two different gens can't be active at the same time.

So, you also think you can convince the entire industry that Switch is 9th gen?   You are also debating against history as we've had several instances of multiple consoles by the same company in the same generation. 

I don't need to convince an entire industry on reality especially one that changes its tune to suit itself want to bang on about history Mega Drive competed against the NES for 2 years along side the master system yet is still a Gen 4 platform so don't play that notion on me either.

SpokenTruth said:
Wyrdness said:

I don't need to convince an entire industry on reality especially one that changes its tune to suit itself want to bang on about history Mega Drive competed against the NES for 2 years along side the master system yet is still a Gen 4 platform so don't play that notion on me either.

So, again, you're trying to call the entire industry wrong.  Good luck getting it changed.

You're not the whole industry get over it.

SpokenTruth said:
Wyrdness said:

You're not the whole industry get over it.

Odd statement.  I never said I was the entire industry so I'm not sure what there is for me to get over.  Further, you are the one going against the grain.  Would that then mean you are the one who needs to get over something?

I'm far from the only one who sees he's technically right as many others on this forum have debated this to death your argument hinges on a claim with nothing concrete all you've said is your measly the industry this and that with no source either so we can only assume you see your views as the entire industry. You've not debunked what I said earlier to the user highlighting this industry angle claim is your go to crutch here I'm guessing you believe the industry can't make enough money to stay afloat with out microtransactions as well because some PR reps have said as such.

Mr Puggsly said:
Look, we gotta put a cap on when celebrate _____ out selling _____.

The only real Nintendo console that didn't outsell the Xbox was the Wii U, it was a disaster. Kudos to the Switch, it will likely sell a 100 million units or whatever.

Well I mean it is a sales website, so this is the only place celebrating stuff like this makes sense.

Do I give two craps?  No...not really.  I will celebrate when it passes 80 mil, then again if it passes 100 mil.  To me, those are the milestones that would matter...IMHO.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Xbox kicked out of the way, whos next. N64, u going down

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick