By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sam Harris Drops Patreon - Other Creators Follow

undin13 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Bingo, Google and Apple have also removed apps or platforms from their own stores simply because they opposed views being shared on them.

Or alternatively because they are hangouts for Nazis and Mass Murders, but what is the difference, right?

lol can you name a nazi on youtube please?

is sam harris a nazi btw? i've seen many on the left say so with their twisted delusional concept of reality

we just had a thread asking if pew die pie was a nazi, what about him?

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
I'm pulling my support from Patreon, as well. They were just looking for any excuse to take Sargon off. So, they finally found a video from months back, on a channel that wasn't his, and only had a few thousand views, where he said that racists were the actual "niggers." The truth is, there are probably tons of people on Patreon that use that word in their videos, but I guess they are from a protected class.

Uh....what?

you've never said that word? over your whole lifetime?

and regardless he's right, an obvious example would be rap music and its fanbase

Chris Hu said:
Mr Puggsly said:

What's your point though?

I mean I can think of a lot of rich people who technically don't need to make another dollar. Like pretty much anybody who has been a successful musician, athlete, or actor for years.

If he's willing to close his account to make a point, good for him. Personally I support a few people on Patreon and I'm going to use alternatives when available.

My point is right there in plain English.  Harris never needed a additional revenue stream in his entire life so there was never a reason for him to start a patreon account.  Patreon accounts are meant for people that don't make enough money through their regular jobs or for people that don't make enough money from what they do for a living not for people that already have more then enough money.

you don't need a computer to suvive either, so why can't we take your computer, sell it and give that money to a homeless person?

why do you have a right to possess your computer when there are others who are in need of your resources more?

EricHiggin said:
pokoko said:
So, I mean, what is this? I don't know this Harris person or this Peterson person. There is nothing in the OP that tells me anything about the accounts that were closed and if they were in violation of any policies. There is no substance here at all.

All I can do is shrug.

Harris and Peterson are both very smart individuals, especially when it comes to how people think and why. Harris is clearly left but not what some would call 'radical' left, and Peterson is fairly center but sides with the right based on the lefts political viewpoint at the moment. Ruben used to be part of TYT and now has his own show and is also fairly center, yet sides with the right because he thinks the left has gone way to far considering he's got a lot of hate for being gay and not a firm lefty anymore.

The way I understand it, is that Sargon was banned from Patreon for saying something on YouTube quite a while ago. I can't remember if it was months or years, but not recent. Patreon or someone else found it and used it against him. The problem is that while it could fall under hate speech (I think it was) from Patreons rules and guidelines, which is up to them, what was said has nothing to do with Patreon because it was on another platform that isn't tied to those rules and guidelines. Patreon is basically acting as Team America world police, and we know how people tend to feel about that. 

Sargon is upset because he found out from his viewers that he was kicked off Patreon, and he had to contact Patreon to find out officially. Patreon in short, basically told him their rules and guidelines aren't well defined and so this incident can fall into that. Sargon and many other Patreon members are pissed off yet worried that without well defined guidelines, anyone could be banned at anytime, which is not a stable business model.

Patreon doesn't seem to care and doesn't really want to do much about it, and considering the constant insta-bans that have been happening more and more recently, tied to social media or internet based services, certain individuals want to get together to create their own version of Patreon. You can bet if this happens, that will just be the first step towards creating their own knockoffs of other platforms they use, which tend to be somewhat risky and could get worse.

Thank you.  This is what the OP should have been.

Mr Puggsly said:
Chris Hu said:

My point is right there in plain English.  Harris never needed a additional revenue stream in his entire life so there was never a reason for him to start a patreon account.  Patreon accounts are meant for people that don't make enough money through their regular jobs or for people that don't make enough money from what they do for a living not for people that already have more then enough money.

No, Patreon is for people to monetize the content they create.

Or for some of us, to support people who create content the media tries to silence.

And they monetize their content because they don't have regular jobs that pay them enough to get by.  Which isn't the case with Harris he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth he always had good paying regular jobs and on top of that I'm pretty sure he made a fair amount of money from all the books he wrote.  So again my point is valid there was never a reason for him to start a patreon account to begin with.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
Chris Hu said:

you don't need a computer to suvive either, so why can't we take your computer, sell it and give that money to a homeless person?

why do you have a right to possess your computer when there are others who are in need of your resources more?

Neither does you do you but you are the king of pointless comments so thanks for nothing.  Not that anyone should expect anything better from a guy that uses Alex Jones as his avatar. 

Chris Hu said:
o_O.Q said:

Neither does you do you but you are the king of pointless comments so thanks for nothing.  Not that anyone should expect anything better from a guy that uses Alex Jones as his avatar. 

but i don't have your silly ideology

why do you think you bear no responsibility for helping the poor and place it all on people who have more than you?

you said sam harris does not need any more money and the same applies to you

you aren't taking your excess income and helping the poor, instead you're spending it on the internet and a computer to virtue signal about how OTHER people need to take care of the poor... what are you personally doing for the poor?

Who? Next

o_O.Q said:
Chris Hu said:

but i don't have your silly ideology

why do you think you bear no responsibility for helping the poor and place it all on people who have more than you?

you said sam harris does not need any more money and the same applies to you

you aren't taking your excess income and helping the poor, instead you're spending it on the internet and a computer to virtue signal about how OTHER people need to take care of the poor... what are you personally doing for the poor?

LOL the same doesn't apply to me last time I checked I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and have millions of dollars of disposable income.  Thanks for another pointless comment.  You probably should go buzz off and listen to some more of Alex Jones BS and while your at it buy some of his snake oil.

o_O.Q said:
Chris Hu said:

As a consumer he bought the computer.

As far as I can tell with this case, nothing that Sam Harris bought is being taken away.

Patreon's legal agreement has this stipulation:

We can terminate or suspend your account at any time at our discretion. We can also cancel any pledges and remove any content or rewards at our discretion.

Do you see that? Patreon doesn't even need a reason to terminate an account. They have full discretion to do whatever the hell they please as it is their platform/website and they are in charge.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 19 December 2018