By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sam Harris Drops Patreon - Other Creators Follow

collint0101 said:

This is what conservatism has become. A bunch of people defending the right for someone to use racial slurs on the internet. I have nothing against Harris but fuck Sargon he isn't entitled to someone else's platform and if it were my site I would have 0 problem kicking his edgy borderline racist garbage off

"Conservatism"

Libertarian here. One guy earlier said he's center left. No idea what the others defending Sargon are. Nice of you to support the douche know-it-all dem stereotype though.

You realize there's more out there than Republicans and Democrats right? It's kinda a reason 2016 went the way it did.

This is a big reason why I can't support dem candidates right now. When debating someone who doesn't agree with you, immediately the negative labeling begins. And no matter what the "nazis", "conservatives", "racists" or whatever say, your mind has already been made up and you are of coarse infallible like the pope.

Around the Network
StriderKiwi said:
collint0101 said:

This is what conservatism has become. A bunch of people defending the right for someone to use racial slurs on the internet. I have nothing against Harris but fuck Sargon he isn't entitled to someone else's platform and if it were my site I would have 0 problem kicking his edgy borderline racist garbage off

"Conservatism"

Libertarian here. One guy earlier said he's center left. No idea what the others defending Sargon are. Nice of you to support the douche know-it-all dem stereotype though.

You realize there's more out there than Republicans and Democrats right? It's kinda a reason 2016 went the way it did.

This is a big reason why I can't support dem candidates right now. When debating someone who doesn't agree with you, immediately the negative labeling begins. And no matter what the "nazis", "conservatives", "racists" or whatever say, your mind has already been made up and you are of coarse infallible like the pope.

My mind isn't made up and I'm probably way more open to economic conservatism than you would think but social conservatism feels toxic. Just take a second to think about the conversation being had here, people are actively defending a YouTuber that went on a racist rant while debating an alt righter, this is the hill people are willing to die on. Countless arguments along the lines of "well what about rappers" "why can't everyone say the n word" well how much do you want to be those same rappers would be gone in a heartbeat if they started ranting about Jews or made homophobic comments. Free speech is 1 thing but it seems like this anti sjw, pro free speech crowd doesn't understand that unless you're being physically attacked or arrested reactions to your shitty speech are just as valid as your shitty speech in the first place

Even if you think Sargon deserved it (He didn't IMO) I think the scariest thing about this is what happened to SubscriberStar. They were a legitimate competitor to Patreon with different speech policies and they were deplatformed almost immediately by PayPal. That's scary as hell. PayPal's only job should be handling the money from the consumer to the content creators. What's up with this social policing BS?

collint0101 said:

Is that really your take away from this discussion? Simply a bunch of people defending the use of racial slurs. 

I think there are quite a few other interesting points and questions raised:

1. Sam Harris is liberal and yet he took a stand on principle, even for someone that he does not politically agree with.
  2. Patreon has been vague and contradictory with their own policies and terms of service.
  3. Tech companies like Patreon, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. have near monopolies in the space they occupy.
  4. Because of this and their choice to often prioritize ideology over profit, will this lead to government regulation in a similar way to utilities?
  5. Should companies prioritize their ideology over profits?
  6. Why are we not more alarmed at what happened to SubscribeStar, essentially being deplatformed?
  7. Will free speech versions of Patreon, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. emerge from this?
  8. Do we need an internet bill of rights so that these policies are transparent and applied equally to the left, right, and center?
  9. Will content creators continue to leave Patreon since the rules seem to be applied arbitrarily on a case by case basis and anyone that they deem unfit could be next to lose their platform and income? 
  10.  Free speech vs. hate speech. Do we want the government or private companies defining what is free and what is hate?
There are many other interesting aspects to this thread. I think to label it as simply the defense of racial slurs is reductive.
As to your last point, if you owned a platform and chose to ban Sargon based on your opinion of him being edgy and borderline racist, just understand that you empower others to ban you or I on similarly arbitrary observations and opinions. In my view, that creates a world where we cease to discuss ideas both good and bad. We polarize and things get progressively worse.
Last edited by Munn75 - on 24 December 2018

"There are things which, if done by the few, we should refuse to imitate; yet when the majority have begun to do them, we follow along - just as if anything were more honourable because it is more frequent!"

-Seneca

Munn75 said:
collint0101 said:

Is that really your take away from this discussion? Simply a bunch of people defending the use of racial slurs. 

1. Sam Harris is liberal and yet he took a stand on principle, even for someone that he does not politically agree with.
  2. Patreon has been vague and contradictory with their own policies and terms of service.
  3. Tech companies like Patreon, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. have near monopolies in the space they occupy.
  4. Because of this and their choice to often prioritize ideology over profit, will this lead to government regulation in a similar way to utilities?
  6. Why are we not more alarmed at what happened to SubscribeStar, essentially being deplatformed?
  7. Will free speech versions of Patreon, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. emerge from this?
  8. Do we need an internet bill of rights so that these policies are transparent and applied equally to the left, right, and center?
  9. Will content creators continue to leave Patreon since the rules seem to be applied arbitrarily on a case by case basis and anyone that they deem unfit could be next to lose their platform and income? 
  10.  Free speech vs. hate speech. Do we want the government or private companies defining what is free and what is hate?
There are many other interesting aspects to this thread. I think to label it as simply the defense of racial slurs is reductive.
As to your last point, if you owned a platform and chose to ban Sargon based on your opinion of him being edgy and borderline racist, just understand that you empower others to ban you or I on similarly arbitrary observations and opinions. In my view, that creates a world where we cease to discuss ideas both good and bad. We polarize and things get progressively worse.

If conservatives have a problem with it they can create their own platform instead of relying on someone else's. The policies and rules are there Sargon probably should have read them before he decided to use the N word while having a conversation with a neo Nazi. The way I see this the right dug their own grave with this one if a baker has the right to deny customers based on his anti gay political beliefs then tech companies have the right to do the same to political ideas they don't agree with. After all these are private companies we're talking about they don't owe anyone anything and if the right doesn't like the way they're being treated then bye find a new home just like if vgchartz doesn't like this comment then they have every right to get rid of me and there's nothing I can do about it because I'm using their property

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
Munn75 said:

If conservatives have a problem with it they can create their own platform instead of relying on someone else's. The policies and rules are there Sargon probably should have read them before he decided to use the N word while having a conversation with a neo Nazi. The way I see this the right dug their own grave with this one if a baker has the right to deny customers based on his anti gay political beliefs then tech companies have the right to do the same to political ideas they don't agree with. After all these are private companies we're talking about they don't owe anyone anything and if the right doesn't like the way they're being treated then bye find a new home just like if vgchartz doesn't like this comment then they have every right to get rid of me and there's nothing I can do about it because I'm using their property

I think the biggest issue with the Patreon rules is that you can go back to when Patreon banned Lauryn Southern. Jack specifically said that they would have a warning system, appeals process, better communication, and that nothing was done based on politics. It can all be seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcK6GvgVPs&has_verified=1

He is also on the record as saying that people would not be banned for things that are said outside of someone's own Patreon account. In Sargon's case, none of these rules were followed. If you search Patreon, you can find pages and pages of the same offensive word that Sargon used actually on Patreon and actually being used in a very bad way by others that are not banned.

Two your second point, when people started trying to leave Patreon for SubscribeStar, that company was basically shut down by PayPal again for political/ideological reasons. I think that when alternative platforms arrive in the near future, most of the problem will be solved. Let the market decide things. Patreon will have to live by their choices.

On your final point, I would say that private companies do owe everyone equal treatment. Sure they can ban whoever they want but they should be able to justify the ban based on the breaking of rules. Those rules should be equally applied to everyone and they should take the same action against anyone that breaks those rules, regardless of if they agree with them or not. 

"There are things which, if done by the few, we should refuse to imitate; yet when the majority have begun to do them, we follow along - just as if anything were more honourable because it is more frequent!"

-Seneca

Munn75 said:
collint0101 said:

I think the biggest issue with the Patreon rules is that you can go back to when Patreon banned Lauryn Southern. Jack specifically said that they would have a warning system, appeals process, better communication, and that nothing was done based on politics. It can all be seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcK6GvgVPs&has_verified=1

He is also on the record as saying that people would not be banned for things that are said outside of someone's own Patreon account. In Sargon's case, none of these rules were followed. If you search Patreon, you can find pages and pages of the same offensive word that Sargon used actually on Patreon and actually being used in a very bad way by others that are not banned.

Two your second point, when people started trying to leave Patreon for SubscribeStar, that company was basically shut down by PayPal again for political/ideological reasons. I think that when alternative platforms arrive in the near future, most of the problem will be solved. Let the market decide things. Patreon will have to live by their choices.

On your final point, I would say that private companies do owe everyone equal treatment. Sure they can ban whoever they want but they should be able to justify the ban based on the breaking of rules. Those rules should be equally applied to everyone and they should take the same action against anyone that breaks those rules, regardless of if they agree with them or not. 

We have a supreme Court precedent for private companies not owing everyone equal treatment. Gay couples can't get a cake and Sargon can't get a patreon it goes both ways. Beyond that let the market sort everything out if this truly an issue then people will eventually create their own platforms instead of relying on someone else's

SpokenTruth said:
thismeintiel said:

The content is bad? It seems obvious to me what he is saying. As a black person, he knows that it isn't going to help other black people, intead it will do the opposite.

You could also read it as him saying the black people he knows won't help other black people.   I say that because I don't think he's black. 

yes of course because i don't ideologically resemble what you expect of black people 

which is of course fucking racist as fuck but you'll just ignore that of course

collint0101 said:
StriderKiwi said:

"Conservatism"

My mind isn't made up and I'm probably way more open to economic conservatism than you would think but social conservatism feels toxic. Just take a second to think about the conversation being had here, people are actively defending a YouTuber that went on a racist rant while debating an alt righter, this is the hill people are willing to die on. Countless arguments along the lines of "well what about rappers" "why can't everyone say the n word" well how much do you want to be those same rappers would be gone in a heartbeat if they started ranting about Jews or made homophobic comments. Free speech is 1 thing but it seems like this anti sjw, pro free speech crowd doesn't understand that unless you're being physically attacked or arrested reactions to your shitty speech are just as valid as your shitty speech in the first place

"Racist rant while debating an alt righter"

As many have been arguing about prior, this is not the context. He was on a libertarian's stream. Some of the commenters were making anti-jew and other racist comments. Sargon decides to attack them by using their own language/rhetoric to demean them. I wouldn't have worded it the way he did, but to claim that's he's alt right like the people he regularly debates (as many incorrectly have been) is wrong.

Link to the full clip (came from an almost 2 hour stream)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5575decxWoI

The alt right hate Sargon because he regularly ridicules them, so they started a campaign to get him deplatformed. The transcript Patreon showed for their reasoning for banning him was what the alt right activists had spammed Patreon with, and it included parts cut out of his speech. Nick Monroe proved this.

My biggest issue with this is that there's blatant lies being spread and so many are quick to take an immediate stance because they judge the situation just by how it sounds. And THAT is what scares me. This type of decision making is what ruins innocent peoples lives. Think of how many people are getting falsely accused of something these day. They lose almost everything and even if the truth comes to light later, the liars go unpunished and there's no real redemption.

While I don't like James Gunn as a person, his political stances, and I found his tweets to be absolutely disgusting and beyond retarded to post, I did not want to see him fired, and I don't even like the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. Cernovich and his crew, though I can understand their reasoning, stooped too low in doing it, and frankly Disney had to have known the type of guy James was when they hired him. I don't buy his whole "That was X years ago, I'm a kids movie kind of guy now" thing but the firing was a corporate decision that now gives these mobs even more power.

These two situation aren't an exact 1 for 1 but there's still a lot in common and it's disheartening to see people buck principle for tribalism.

Last edited by StriderKiwi - on 24 December 2018

collint0101 said:
Munn75 said:

How do you come to the conclusion that only conservatives have a problem with it? 

I think you might be suprised how many people from your own political side are against the deplatforming of these people.