By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alfonso Ribeiro is suing Fortnite for stealing the Carlton Dance

d21lewis said:

It was funny when he did it on the show but even then it seemed like it was funny because he was referencing an uptight, well to do, stereotype. Like "Black guys do it like this but white guys, they do it like THIS!" type of humor. I'm pretty sure he got the dance from some place else. When this is discounted, I hope he isn't smacked with a countersuit or court costs.

And again, that's IF y can somehow copyright a motion that the human body does.

It's funny that you should say that.

“It was never even intended to be funny; it was just that he was dancing,” Ribeiro said.

“The dance is ultimately Courteney Cox in the Bruce Springsteen video ‘Dancing in the Dark;’ that’s the basis. Or in Eddie Murphy’s ‘Delirious’ video, The White Man Dance as he called it. And I said, ‘That is the corniest dance on the planet that I know of, so why don’t I do that?’”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/alfonso-ribeiro-reveals-the-origin-of-the-carlton-dance-from-fresh-prince-10465625.html

Around the Network

i think this is bs. had he copyrighted/registered the dance?

Fuck this shit. Hope this dumbass loses,.

Copyrighting body movements is some of the biggest bullshit Ive ever heard. I fear for the precendent set if he comes out victorious.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

For the record people, the wrestler DDP sued Jay-Z for doing his "Diamond Cutter" gesture. DDP actually won that case but I believe he also owns his character.

This is a bit different though. Who actually owns that dance if anybody? NBC or Alfonso?

There probably is some validity to stealing dances. I mean Fortnite would probably run into legal problems if they were stealing the latest dances. But this dance is old, its been used many times outside of Fresh Prince, even recently Forza Horizon 4 used it. Basically, there has been no effort to protect the dance so it feels like a cash grab because the most popular game is using it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

All I know is that when the dust settles, everybody's going to start copy-writing dance moves now and new laws will be made for them.

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:

i think this is bs. had he copyrighted/registered the dance?

There is no need to register for copyright in countries abiding the Berne Convention, which are most.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

this isn't the first and won't be the last law suite fortnite gets about dance moves in the game they should honestly just give the credit to the people instead of renaming known dance moves and selling them.

Good. Make them pay, alfonso!

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

pokoko said:
d21lewis said:

It was funny when he did it on the show but even then it seemed like it was funny because he was referencing an uptight, well to do, stereotype. Like "Black guys do it like this but white guys, they do it like THIS!" type of humor. I'm pretty sure he got the dance from some place else. When this is discounted, I hope he isn't smacked with a countersuit or court costs.

And again, that's IF y can somehow copyright a motion that the human body does.

It's funny that you should say that.

“It was never even intended to be funny; it was just that he was dancing,” Ribeiro said.

“The dance is ultimately Courteney Cox in the Bruce Springsteen video ‘Dancing in the Dark;’ that’s the basis. Or in Eddie Murphy’s ‘Delirious’ video, The White Man Dance as he called it. And I said, ‘That is the corniest dance on the planet that I know of, so why don’t I do that?’”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/alfonso-ribeiro-reveals-the-origin-of-the-carlton-dance-from-fresh-prince-10465625.html

😲

Well, that's that. 

(Also, autocorrect changed "discovered" to "discounted" in my previous post. I didn't catch it.)

I believe a couple of other people are suing Epic for dances in the game as well.