By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Huge Compilation of PS4 Player Numbers Based on Data from My PS4 Life (new info on many indies and smaller games)

Here's some numbers I crunched on games I was interested in. These are compiled by using the total number of achievers of a trophy through My PS4 Life and then using the total trophy percentages to calculate global totals. Unless noted, these are global numbers. Unless noted, these are PS4 only numbers(although there seems to be some kind of error for GTAV, it might be including PS3 trophy earners or something, the number seems quite a bit off). If there were multiple regions, I extrapolated by using PSNP numbers per region as estimations of percentage by region to get global.

Note that some of these were "free" on PS+.

Note that newer and indie titles are a bit underrepresented because they were purchased but not played or were not synced.

Note that this is players which occurs when you play a game for the first time, so it does not include people who do not play their games once purchased or have never synced their trophies since playing them. However, it can also include used copies being repurchased, rentals, and alts/multiple accounts.

A Hat in Time - 51.9k

Amplitude - 83.5k

Armello - 59.88k

Assault Android Cactus - 26.43k

Astro Bot - 101.5k

Axiom Verge - 38.58k (EU ONLY), 140.83k extrapolated

Banner Saga - 100.6k

Banner Saga 3 - 5.0k

Battlefield V - 232.97k

Bleed 2 - 2.9k

Celeste - 35.88k

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - 350.96k

Cities Skyline - 315.7k (NO JP), 344.0k extrapolated

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - 1.48m

Darkest Dungeon - 267.0k (NO JP), extrapolated is like 1-2k more

Dead Cells - 45.5k (EU ONLY), 94.35k extrapolated

DivOS EE - 715k-862k

Divinity 2 - 70.2k (EU ONLY), 119.79k extrapolated

Dragon Quest Heroes II - 146k (NO JP), 438k extrapolated*

Far Cry Primal - 6.83m

Furi - 1.24m

GTAV - 50.73m-72.7m (!!!!)

Gravity Rush 2 - 800.9k (!!!!)

Grip - 3.73k (BIG BOMBA)

Hitman 2 - 264.9k

Hollow Knight - 42k (EU ONLY), 90k extrapolated

Hotline Miami 2 - 300.9k

Hyper Light Drifter - 42.9k (EU ONLY), 91.4k extrapolated

Inside - 408.8k

Jamestown+ - 50.27k

Killzone Shadowfall - >4.55m

Kingdom Come Deliverance - 591.3k

Knack 2 - 689.25k

Matterfall - 24.7k (BIG BOMBA)

Mother Russia Bleeds - 59.1k

Mount & Blade Warband - 232.3k

N++ - 15.93k (EU only), 47.0k extrapolated

Natural Doctrine - 90.0k (NO JP), 169.7k exrapolated*

Nex Machina - 90.6k

Nioh - 2.37m

Nuclear Throne - 58.5k

Odin Sphere - 224.8k (NO JP), 372.74k extrapolated (see Persona 5 note)

OlliOlli - 199.4k

Outlast - 3.286m

Outlast 2 - 595.3k

Persona 5 - 1.69m (NO JP, HK, KR), 2.053m extrapolated*

Prison Architect - 173.8k

Pyre - 67.9k

RDR2 - 7.17m

Rabi Ribi - 7.96k*

Redout - 11.97k (EU ONLY), 21.5k extrapolated (BOMBA)

Resogun - 2.43m

Ruiner - 42.9k

SUPERHOT - 136.5k

Salt and Sanctuary - 128.83k (EU ONLY), 350.0k extrapolated ( NO VITA)

Sine Mora Ex - 40.2k

Sonic Mania - 524k

Spiderman - 6.92m

Stardew Valley - 588.0k

TBoIR - 747250 (EU ONLY), 1.641m extrapolated

Tearaway - 1.45m

Terraria - 3.3m (NO JP), 3.92m extrapolated (this number does include Vita + PS3 because it's crossplay, no other title on this list does)

Tetris Effect - 53.1k

The Evil Within - 3.248m*

The Evil Within 2 - 1.094m (NO JP), 1.156 extrapolated*

The Inpatient - 116.9k

This is the Police - 76.48k

This is the Police 2 - 2.03k

Thumper - 202.94k

TMNT Mutants in Manhattan - 486.75k

Torment Tides of Numenera - 87.5k

Toukiden 2 - 55.75k*

Transformers Devastation - 1.79-2.1m

Trials Fusion - 3.59m*

Unravel - 888.9k

Unravel 2 - 193k

Warhammer Vermintide - 213.5k

We Happy Few - 105.8k

Wipeout Omega Collection - 482.4k

Witcher 3 - 3.31m

Wolfenstein 2 - 1.19m

XCOM2 - 2.63m

*I believe this to be slightly low because Asia is likely underrepresented since PSNP is probably much less popular there

Many disasters (in my opinion) such as Redout, Banner Saga 3, Grip, Bleed 2, Matterfall, Nex Machina, This is the Police 2, and some others but I guess it is just dependent upon cost+marketing and the sale price of the games.

If you have any questions, let me know, and I am open to add numbers as I and others compile them.

Last edited by Mazzy - on 20 December 2018

Around the Network

Tagging.

It would also be nice to see the raw dataset so the rest of us could crack a look at it.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

I don't know why this thing has been getting s much traction when there are obvious big holes in the data.

What abut people that have multiple accounts on their console with each account owner playing the same same.

Mazzy said:

Here's some numbers I crunched on games I was interested in. These are compiled by using the total number of achievers of a trophy through My PS4 Life and then using the total trophy percentages to calculate global totals. Unless noted, these are global sales. Unless noted, these are PS4 only sales (although there seems to be some kind of error for GTAV, it might be including PS3 trophy earners or something, the number seems quite a bit off). If there were multiple regions, I extrapolated by using PSNP numbers per region as estimations of percentage by region to get global.

Note that newer and indie titles are a bit underrepresented because they were purchased but not played or were not synced.

Note that this is players which occurs when you play a game for the first time, so it does not include people who do not play their games once purchased or have never synced their trophies since playing them. However, it can also include used copies being repurchased, rentals, and alts/multiple accounts.

*I believe this to be slightly low because Asia is likely underrepresented since PSNP is probably much less popular there

Many sales disasters (in my opinion) such as Redout, Banner Saga 3, Grip, Bleed 2, Matterfall, Nex Machina, This is the Police 2, and some others but I guess it is just dependent upon cost+marketing and the sale price of the games.

If you have any questions, let me know, and I am open to add numbers as I and others compile them.

None of this is sales data. It's player count and trying to get sales number out of this is impossible. You can only compare player count to player count and even then you need to use your brain if that comparison makes sense (free trial, local multiplayer heavy, PS Plus game,  old vs. recent, etc.)

Intrinsic said:
I don't know why this thing has been getting s much traction when there are obvious big holes in the data.

What abut people that have multiple accounts on their console with each account owner playing the same same.

But when the holes are the same for every game, then it can make sense again.
I did the same for XBLA Leaderboard data back in the days. As long as you know which games focus on local multiplayer or have been part of Games with Gold, you can just leave them out and compare the rest. The same is possible here.
For retail games we have VGC, but for indie games, this is the best thing we have.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Intrinsic said:

I did the same for XBLA Leaderboard data back in the days. As long as you know which games focus on local multiplayer or have been part of Games with Gold, you can just leave them out and compare the rest. The same is possible here.
For retail games we have VGC, but for indie games, this is the best thing we have.

It still doesnt make sense. Ok, I have a friend that insists on using my PS4 to play games and he has a profile on my PS4. My f has her profile on their to. Her sister has her profile there too.  They have all played U4, GOW and Horizon. They have all got trophies. They are all added t that global trophy count.

But only one game was purchased.

See the flaw?

Intrinsic said:
Barozi said:

It still doesnt make sense. Ok, I have a friend that insists on using my PS4 to play games and he has a profile on my PS4. My f has her profile on their to. Her sister has her profile there too.  They have all played U4, GOW and Horizon. They have all got trophies. They are all added t that global trophy count.

See the flaw?

There is no flaw. You compare player count to sales and that is, as I previously mentioned, not possible.

However with your own post, you just proved why these numbers are very useful. You can compare U4 to GoW and to Horizon. The error is the same for all of these games, so the relation between them is 100% correct. It doesn't matter how much each of them sold (in absolute numbers) but you can still determine if something sold better or worse based on the difference in player count.
But again we have VGC for retail data, so indies is where it's getting interesting or games that have been on PSPlus to see how popular they are.

Barozi said:
Intrinsic said:

See the flaw?

There is no flaw. You compare player count to sales and that is, as I previously mentioned, not possible.

However with your own post, you just proved why these numbers are very useful. You can compare U4 to GoW and to Horizon. The error is the same for all of these games, so the relation between them is 100% correct. It doesn't matter how much each of them sold (in absolute numbers) but you can still determine if something sold better or worse based on the difference in player count.
But again we have VGC for retail data, so indies is where it's getting interesting or games that have been on PSPlus to see how popular they are.

Ok I see the reasoning behind it now. My bad. Thanks for clearing it up. 

Barozi said:
Mazzy said:

Here's some numbers I crunched on games I was interested in. These are compiled by using the total number of achievers of a trophy through My PS4 Life and then using the total trophy percentages to calculate global totals. Unless noted, these are global sales. Unless noted, these are PS4 only sales (although there seems to be some kind of error for GTAV, it might be including PS3 trophy earners or something, the number seems quite a bit off). If there were multiple regions, I extrapolated by using PSNP numbers per region as estimations of percentage by region to get global.

Many sales disasters (in my opinion) such as Redout, Banner Saga 3, Grip, Bleed 2, Matterfall, Nex Machina, This is the Police 2, and some others but I guess it is just dependent upon cost+marketing and the sale price of the games.

None of this is sales data. It's player count and trying to get sales number out of this is impossible. You can only compare player count to player count and even then you need to use your brain if that comparison makes sense (free trial, local multiplayer heavy, PS Plus game,  old vs. recent, etc.)

Just a typo, I clearly stated these are player numbers, and the methodology for them is roughly the same as the Steam players number leak earlier this year. This is mostly useful for indies and seeing how they compare with each other and different platforms. Even if we were to get exact unit sales that would not be particularly useful for comparing games 1:1 because games have been out for different periods of time, have different budgets, could have sold for full price or at a deep discount, etc. 

I agree it is hard to get useful numbers for many games since so many of them have been on PS+ at some point or another. 

Last edited by Mazzy - on 20 December 2018

Trophy lists generally are shared between systems, so I don't think this is PS4 numbers (except where a game is exclusive to that system), but PSN numbers.