By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ads in Street Fighter

Machiavellian said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

 

lol, how many other games have online play without slapping ads into your game. Plus it’s not like this is a mega blockbuster online title with hundreds of thousands of players requiring loads of server support, this is a fighter with pretty meh sales. Publishers typically support further development on titles via revenue from sales and DLC. Here you have a game that already has almost a free to play progression system requiring loads of grinding (unless you wanna pay more of course) which lead to lower sales, and instead of oh idk, making a better system or game or better expansions, they double down on the douchebaggery by putting ads in the game. And of course they offer you a fight money bonus for leaving them on, because they know that full priced game you bought has a very not full priced game progression system, so people will be very eager to get more fight money in any way possible.

Shitty move from one of the shittiest pubs in the industry. I’m happy to think of all the Xbone/PS4/Switch games ive bought this gen and maybe Dead Rising 3 and 4 are the only Capcom ones? I’m doing God’s work.

If this is a fighter with pretty meh sales, you pretty much just made the case for the ads.  In other words, Capcom is looking for ways to keep the budget going for the game and this is one of them.  I personally do not have a problem if I can turn them off.  As I remember, the game wasn't even going to be made unless Sony put in some funding.  If the money isn't coming in from DLC then other means are going to be required to keep the game coming.

The game was going to be made regardless, it might have just taken longer. Though how much you believe that depends on how much weight you put behind PR. Capcom was pumping out games back then that were selling.

I wasn’t questioning the logic of putting ads into the game, I was more making the point that they already rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way with the lack of content in the game and the free to play inspired progression system that encourages microtransactions. They’re just pouring gasoline on the fire trying to make extra revenue this way. 

And it’s not as if they’re advertising Papa Johns or HBO or something, these are Capcom/Street Fighter ads, for things fans of the game probably know about already. Which just makes it an even stranger decision in along line of bad SFV decisions from Capcom, starting with the exclusive deal.



Around the Network

eh, if it doesn't seem out of place in the game I don't really see a problem with adverts. In fact I'd argue in the case of realistic games that they actually make the game better. I mean, having real products and real brands in the game definitely makes it seem more realistic.



I worry that this is just a test run for another way for developers and publishers to bolt more monetization into their games. I look forward to full-priced AAA games that "allow" me to watch a 30 second ad after dying to not lose any progress. I don't trust these companies to do anything at this point without screwing over people playing their games., and this ad thing in SFV is just another thing in a long line of what are essentially mobile game monetization systems making their way into AAA games.



I waited and waited....I just bought SFV for a measly $7.99 on PSN. No matter what the game offers, it's a STEAL. I love Street Fighter but not enough where I needed it ASAP. Games like Mortal Kombat and Tekken I buy Day 1.



Darwinianevolution said:
morenoingrato said:
So, as far as I understand, this is for a Capcom event.

There was a Switch T-Shirt in the Breath of the Wild WiiU version. Was that an ad?

To be fair, that's more of a celebration of the Switch's release, and just left it in the WiiU version because why not? The better example would be the Mercedes' car on MK8. But at least that kind of advertisement added content without real drawback, however jarring it was. Capcom's idea for advertisement is dangerously close to those mobile ads, watch the video and get points, only to slow down the amount of points you can get normaly so that you HAVE to see the videos. If this goes on, who says they won't add promotions to other stuff, and after that, all loading screens become 1 minute ads?

This is such hyperbole. You're basically saying that it's ok for Nintendo to do it but not Capcom because we don't know how Capcom's adoption of a similar ad gimmick will or won't evolve into one minute adverts like on mobile games. 

 

Ads which are honestly pretty subtle on the clothing of fighters is something which exists in real life. Street Fighter putting subtle ads on character clothing is not even close to a one minute ad on a mobile game. It detracts from the artistic element of the game but it's not affecting players in a similar way at all to what you're describing. Street Fighter V's payment model is barely even similar at this point in it's life to a $60 triple A product. 

 

Yes I've seen Jim Sterling's video on it. Yes, accepting these kind of practices could lead towards a dangerous mobile-esq model future for premium games. No, the ads are not ok. But this also is not.that different from Nintendo's Mercedes model. And honestly neither are the closest practices to that of mobile games. There are much better examples out there. 



Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Darwinianevolution said:

To be fair, that's more of a celebration of the Switch's release, and just left it in the WiiU version because why not? The better example would be the Mercedes' car on MK8. But at least that kind of advertisement added content without real drawback, however jarring it was. Capcom's idea for advertisement is dangerously close to those mobile ads, watch the video and get points, only to slow down the amount of points you can get normaly so that you HAVE to see the videos. If this goes on, who says they won't add promotions to other stuff, and after that, all loading screens become 1 minute ads?

This is such hyperbole. You're basically saying that it's ok for Nintendo to do it but not Capcom because we don't know how Capcom's adoption of a similar ad gimmick will or won't evolve into one minute adverts like on mobile games. 

 

Ads which are honestly pretty subtle on the clothing of fighters is something which exists in real life. Street Fighter putting subtle ads on character clothing is not even close to a one minute ad on a mobile game. It detracts from the artistic element of the game but it's not affecting players in a similar way at all to what you're describing. Street Fighter V's payment model is barely even similar at this point in it's life to a $60 triple A product. 

 

Yes I've seen Jim Sterling's video on it. Yes, accepting these kind of practices could lead towards a dangerous mobile-esq model future for premium games. No, the ads are not ok. But this also is not.that different from Nintendo's Mercedes model. And honestly neither are the closest practices to that of mobile games. There are much better examples out there. 

I did not say what Nintendo did was good, I said what Nintendo di was better, due to the fact we got a new car out of it and that's the end of the effect, whereas Capcom's advertisement does not offer any benefit, and in fact it could be say it's a detriment. There's also the element of choice: if you don't want to se the Mercedes, just don't pick it up. If you don't want to see Capcom's ads, say goodbye to a good chunck of fighting money in a game that's very stingy with it.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

This is such hyperbole. You're basically saying that it's ok for Nintendo to do it but not Capcom because we don't know how Capcom's adoption of a similar ad gimmick will or won't evolve into one minute adverts like on mobile games. 

 

Ads which are honestly pretty subtle on the clothing of fighters is something which exists in real life. Street Fighter putting subtle ads on character clothing is not even close to a one minute ad on a mobile game. It detracts from the artistic element of the game but it's not affecting players in a similar way at all to what you're describing. Street Fighter V's payment model is barely even similar at this point in it's life to a $60 triple A product. 

 

Yes I've seen Jim Sterling's video on it. Yes, accepting these kind of practices could lead towards a dangerous mobile-esq model future for premium games. No, the ads are not ok. But this also is not.that different from Nintendo's Mercedes model. And honestly neither are the closest practices to that of mobile games. There are much better examples out there. 

I did not say what Nintendo did was good, I said what Nintendo di was better, due to the fact we got a new car out of it and that's the end of the effect, whereas Capcom's advertisement does not offer any benefit, and in fact it could be say it's a detriment. There's also the element of choice: if you don't want to se the Mercedes, just don't pick it up. If you don't want to see Capcom's ads, say goodbye to a good chunck of fighting money in a game that's very stingy with it.

This refutes nothing I said. All I'm saying is to not be so hyperbolic. 



Ka-pi96 said:
eh, if it doesn't seem out of place in the game I don't really see a problem with adverts. In fact I'd argue in the case of realistic games that they actually make the game better. I mean, having real products and real brands in the game definitely makes it seem more realistic.

It really does depend on both the game in question, and the implementation. For example, I found the real world businesses in Crazy Taxi to be perfectly acceptable. Completely unobtrusive. Which is of course different from what's happening with SF V. Another example is the Yakuza series. I have never, and may never again, play a game with sooooo much real world commercial product represented in the game world. But again, it doesn't break immersion at all. In fact, with Yakuza, it could be argued it enhances it. Go into a bar, and order from a plethora or real world libations, AND get a lovely breakdown of the hootch from the bartender, as well as general thoughts/opinions on the type of alcohol ( rum, vodka, Scotch, ect ). You can skip it of course, and you get THE SAME AMOUNT OF EXPERIENCE regardless of your choice. And yes, for the uninitiated, you get experience from drinking booze in Yakuza.



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Ka-pi96 said:
eh, if it doesn't seem out of place in the game I don't really see a problem with adverts. In fact I'd argue in the case of realistic games that they actually make the game better. I mean, having real products and real brands in the game definitely makes it seem more realistic.

Agreed.  I remember a few years back when some were making a big deal about some real world advertisement being in the Bionic Commando remake.  It was just real brands on the soda machines and a few billboards.  I was like, what's the big deal.  Aren't those in the real world?  It's like bitching about going into a convenience store in a game and being pissed because they Doritos and Pepsi on the shelves.  Aren't those on the shelves in the real world?  That just makes it more realistic to me.  And if the devs can get a little extra cash for it, why not?

Now, what I'm not for is something like what is going on in SF5.  Ads on the loading screens that pop up AFTER it loads, not just during, and making it look like the fighters, who are supposed to be fighting for their own glory or country, are whoring themselves out by wearing sponsored clothes.  That seems like they are edging closer to the style of ads found in mobile games. 



Darwinianevolution said:
Machiavellian said:

If this is a fighter with pretty meh sales, you pretty much just made the case for the ads.  In other words, Capcom is looking for ways to keep the budget going for the game and this is one of them.  I personally do not have a problem if I can turn them off.  As I remember, the game wasn't even going to be made unless Sony put in some funding.  If the money isn't coming in from DLC then other means are going to be required to keep the game coming.

I never believed this to be the case. Between 2014 and 2015 they had released three Monster Hunter games for the 3DS, all of them selling more than 4 million copies each. Plus Dead Rising 3 and a bunch of cheap re-releases. They were not lacking money, especially not for their biggest IP. They released SFV in 2016. Either this game took too much money to make (which would be Capcom's fault in the end) or they just fed us that lie to keep the exclusivity deal with Sony (which, once again, Capcom's fault).

You are confusing other games success with Street Fighter.  Those other games do not determine if any other games get funding instead those other games will continue to be made because they are successful.  If Sony had to come to the rescue for street fighter then its evident that capcom did not see the series as a success or not successful enough to continue funding new versions.  I believe gamers forget that creating games is a business and if a product is not performing up to par then usually it get cut or put on hiatus.