By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - British politician says UK should threaten Ireland with food shortages

This isn't a thing ... it's absolutely clear from Patel's comments that she was speaking not of a drop in GDP engineered by the UK but an anticipated drop in GDP caused by Brexit in general. There was no “threat” and the suggestion that there was is politically motivated.

Around the Network

Well, there's definitely no direct threat there. There's only a remark that Ireland would suffer more from a no-deal Brexit, which the UK could use to its advantage. I suppose it's still more or less a threat, but it puts the whole thing in a very different light compared to how it initially seems. It's still atrocious, just not as much.

The ball is now in Ireland's court unless they want to face huge economic backlashes ...

If the British politicians see another nation such as Ireland as their bargaining chip then so be it and I see there exists extreme distaste among the unionists for a sovereign nation's bargaining power ...

This is truly sick.
It reminded me of seeing something about Irish government removing (minor) monuments to genocide/massacres
because remembrance of such things impedes modern collusion with UK government or something. Obviously
we can thank her for reminding us such remembrance is very relevant in modern times, even if she couldn't care.

Apparently another British politician said "Ireland needs to learn it's place". So many British politician's have a very elitist attitude, I feel like every week I'm hearing about one of them saying something offensive about the Irish.

Around the Network

Theresa May has now distanced herself from Patel's remarks and said she has no intention of resorting to those types of tactics.

Of course, seeing how May could well only be Prime Minister for roughly another six hours, that might not mean much in the longer run...

OlfinBedwere said:
Theresa May has now distanced herself from Patel's remarks and said she has no intention of resorting to those types of tactics.

Of course, seeing how May could well only be Prime Minister for roughly another six hours, that might not mean much in the longer run...

She won the vote, she ll be there for atleast another year.

This also means its very likely that Britain ends up with "no deal" at all, and does a Hard Exit, with no deals in place.
UK economy is about to crash..... a big part of it is banking, and that doesnt work without the ties in place to europe working.
Ontop of that 40-60% of their trade (directly/indirectly) is dependent on Europe.

I cant believe the circus this brexit has been.
optimistic projections say UK's economy will be ~10% smaller, 10 years from now.... it ll probably be worse (imo).

JRPGfan said:
OlfinBedwere said:

This also means its very likely that Britain ends up with "no deal" at all, and does a Hard Exit, with no deals in place.
UK economy is about to crash..... a big part of it is banking, and that doesnt work without the ties in place to europe working.
Ontop of that 40-60% of their trade (directly/indirectly) is dependent on Europe.

optimistic projections say UK's economy will be ~10% smaller, 10 years from now.... it ll probably be worse (imo).

I don't think it's 'very likely' although still a strong possibility of 'no deal'. Grieve's amendment means that if May's deal gets voted down then parliament decides the next course of action and there's no majority for 'no deal'.

So the only options after that are ask for an extension and renegotiate (doubt the EU would want that but possible), put May's deal to another referendum (so MP's have a get out of jail card if it fucks up) or revoke article 50 (which is possible but would require more bravery than our politicians have the stomach for).

Having said that, UK politicians are as thick as two planks of wood so, who knows?

JRPGfan said:

No, LOL ... 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281807/largest-export-commodities-of-the-united-kingdom-uk/

The vast majority of UK exports are fueled by heavy industries and is not based on financial services. Also interdependence goes both ways between the UK and Europe. The EU is a net exporter to the UK which translated to a total surplus of 74B euros from last year but get this, NEARLY NONE of the stuff that the EU produces and sells to the UK is of ANY strategic value! 

European solidarity means very little if the EU holds no monopolies on key strategic industries like agriculture, energy, or even electronics. What the EU sells is easily replaceable by either the UK's own domestic production or from other nations ... 

fatslob-:O said:
JRPGfan said:

No, LOL ... 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281807/largest-export-commodities-of-the-united-kingdom-uk/

The vast majority of UK exports are fueled by heavy industries and is not based on financial services. Also interdependence goes both ways between the UK and Europe. The EU is a net exporter to the UK which translated to a total surplus of 74B euros from last year but get this, NEARLY NONE of the stuff that the EU produces and sells to the UK is of ANY strategic value! 

European solidarity means very little if the EU holds no monopolies on key strategic industries like agriculture, energy, or even electronics. What the EU sells is easily replaceable by either the UK's own domestic production or from other nations ... 

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06193

"In 2017, the financial services sector contributed £119 billion to the UK economy, 6.5% of total economic output."
"There were 1.1 million financial services jobs in the UK, 3.2% of all jobs."

1. Banking isnt a "goods" export..... so it wouldnt be on that list of yours.
2. ~7% of the UKs economic output is from banking = big part imo.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

"The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports)."

^ with indirect ties its over 60%, I think I read somewhere.

Things are gonna get difficult for the uk, with a hard brexit imo.