By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - British politician says UK should threaten Ireland with food shortages

Scoobes said:

I don't think it's 'very likely' although still a strong possibility of 'no deal'. Grieve's amendment means that if May's deal gets voted down then parliament decides the next course of action and there's no majority for 'no deal'.

So the only options after that are ask for an extension and renegotiate (doubt the EU would want that but possible), put May's deal to another referendum (so MP's have a get out of jail card if it fucks up) or revoke article 50 (which is possible but would require more bravery than our politicians have the stomach for).

I have a feeling that what they'll do is revoke article 50 and then reissue it almost immediately, thus effectively granting themselves a two-year extension on the process.

Around the Network

Well if Ireland overproduces let UK boycott Ireland and famine themselves.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

They deserved each other. Ireland is coward while the UK is stupid.

Project Fear Armageddon: 'There'll be food and medicine shortages'

Pritti Patel: 'Is Ireland aware the same will apply to any goods travelling through the UK to Ireland?'

Project Armageddon: 'OMG I can't believe you're threatening to blockade and starve Ireland'

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

This is kinda off-topic but for those who live in the UK (or if you are well versed in the topic): Is Theresa May's victory on the recent vote a good thing or a bad thing for the UK?. I mean, Is she a competent leader going forward?. Most of the news sources I've watched on her seem to be biased one way or the other.

Around the Network
Spike0503 said:
This is kinda off-topic but for those who live in the UK (or if you are well versed in the topic): Is Theresa May's victory on the recent vote a good thing or a bad thing for the UK?.

Bad in the sense in that she's likely to keep on going with a strategy that clearly isn't getting anywhere. Good in the sense that all the possible alternative Prime Ministers look even worse than May.

OlfinBedwere said:
Spike0503 said:
This is kinda off-topic but for those who live in the UK (or if you are well versed in the topic): Is Theresa May's victory on the recent vote a good thing or a bad thing for the UK?.

Bad in the sense in that she's likely to keep on going with a strategy that clearly isn't getting anywhere. Good in the sense that all the possible alternative Prime Ministers look even worse than May.

I see. That's unfortunate. Thanks for the response.

vivster said:

I wonder how bad the food shortage will be in a no-brexit situation.

The thing she is actually saying is way way more stupid though: "We fucked you over by being incompetent asshats, now go to Brussels and fix our mess so you don't get fucked over so hard!"

Well they haven't exited yet and the people aren't starving so a nobrexit situation would be similar to what it is now.

JRPGfan said:

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06193

"In 2017, the financial services sector contributed £119 billion to the UK economy, 6.5% of total economic output."
"There were 1.1 million financial services jobs in the UK, 3.2% of all jobs."

1. Banking isnt a "goods" export..... so it wouldnt be on that list of yours.
2. ~7% of the UKs economic output is from banking = big part imo.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

"The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports)."

^ with indirect ties its over 60%, I think I read somewhere.

Things are gonna get difficult for the uk, with a hard brexit imo.

And if you read further in the 2nd link of your post, it does not contradict what I posted ... 

"The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£67 billion with the EU in 2017. A surplus of £28 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods."

Let's cut to the chase, the EU does not value the UK's financial services as much as the UK values the goods that comes from the EU and the ties between both mean very little since the EU has little control over the UK's food or energy supplies ... 

The EU is mostly delusional and has nearly nothing going for it. There's no energy security since it imports more than half of the energy it consumes and the trading bloc hardly produces any of the modern digital electronics that it uses too ...

The Brits have a joke going around:

Question: How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?
Answer: None

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.