By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2019: Switch starts feeling like a Nintendo handheld

If every title Nintendo has scheduled for 2019 on Switch doesn't get delayed/stays in 2019, and if we get a price cut or hardware revision that brings the Switch MSRP to $249 - closer to the handheld range, then 2019 will be the Switch's peak year.

Edit: And assuming the best case scenario happens and Nintendo is able to meet there goal of 20 million Switch units for this fiscal year, then next fiscal year could reach '08-'09, peak Wii levels!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 08 December 2018

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SKMBlake said:

Labo

Haha that was cold lmfao xD

2018 was an acceptable year. I expect at least 4 great exclusives a year for a Nintendo system, and this year was fine. Torna, Octopath, Smash Ultimate, and Let's Go all fit the bill. Then we got some pretty good 3rd party support in the form of Monster Boy, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and Dragonball FighterZ. These games were all new for 2018, and to get them on the Switch (even with FighterZ being delayed) in the same year was great. Add in the tidal wave of Indies and it would be pretty hard for somebody that only owned a Switch this year to say they were bored.

I understand your concerns. Many will get a Switch console and they will expect a lil more of it. But it´s what it is. I consider the Switch as a casual/ Nintendo hardcore fanbase only. Otherwise could be something less that could you expect. This reminds me te emperor´s new clothes. You aren´t going to tell some others the issue about it because don´t want to feel bad fo em. But actually somebody have to say it. Here there is: If you aren´t a very passionate fan, or have children to lend it over them, or don´t play all that much, I think there´s no much for you in it besides the price isn´t all that affordable. Just don´t take it personal whatever if there some business for you and need to promote it or you are a  so passionate fanboy. Just my opinion here like many others. Merry Christmas to all.

The Switch will always lean a little bit more towards handhelds than proper consoles. But that isn't as bad as people might think. We are not going to see every major third-party title in 2019 or 2020. A few ports and even less by the time the next generation arrives. But we'll see almost all Indies, more second party and creators of handheld games evolving around Switch and experimenting with more power. With Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid or Animal Crossing for the first time on this HD system exploring new possibilities.

While Fortnite, League of Legends, Counter Strike GO, Dota2, Path of Exile or Warframe prove, that the most successful games often aren't built on the newest hardware.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Cloudman said:
Considering how strong Nintendo started the Switch's 1st year, it shouldn't be so surprising that Nintendo would slow down a little bit. Sure, they pulled their resources into one system, but it's different compared to when they were making games for a console and a handheld. If the the majority of their 1st party games are going to be of console quality, that's going to take some time to consistently make good quality games. They're not just going to magically make games like BotW, XC2 and MO every year. These things take time, and some of those efforts will show next year. 3rd parties need to pick up the pace, haha.

This. Nintendo combining their resources to one console never necessarily meant that it'd happen overnight, nor does it mean we'll see say, 3D Land and Odyssey on the same system. Big Switch titles will require more development resources than Big 3DS titles. But that also means that said big titles can be optimized for both home console and handheld play, and can free up resources for more unique ideas as well, so in a way, it everything evens out. 

I still think there could be smaller 3DS type games on the Switch, but that limitation is no longer there. So Nintendo could opt to make more bigger titles than the latter.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

This. Nintendo combining their resources to one console never necessarily meant that it'd happen overnight, nor does it mean we'll see say, 3D Land and Odyssey on the same system. Big Switch titles will require more development resources than Big 3DS titles. But that also means that said big titles can be optimized for both home console and handheld play, and can free up resources for more unique ideas as well, so in a way, it everything evens out. 

I still think there could be smaller 3DS type games on the Switch, but that limitation is no longer there. So Nintendo could opt to make more bigger titles than the latter.

I would agree as well, but they'll be of a different type than the ones that were on 3DS. Meaning, instead of some one-off puzzle game that only really works in handheld mode, we'll see something that uses the Joy-Con in a unique way that can translate well to both docked and undocked play-styles. With the Switch, there's no longer a need to make games that are strictly meant for on the go play because nearly every game can work well in both contexts. 

Teno said: 
The Switch will always lean a little bit more towards handhelds than proper consoles. But that isn't as bad as people might think. We are not going to see every major third-party title in 2019 or 2020. A few ports and even less by the time the next generation arrives. But we'll see almost all Indies, more second party and creators of handheld games evolving around Switch and experimenting with more power. With Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid or Animal Crossing for the first time on this HD system exploring new possibilities. 

While Fortnite, League of Legends, Counter Strike GO, Dota2, Path of Exile or Warframe prove, that the most successful games often aren't built on the newest hardware.

Next gen probably won't be as important as people really think. AAA games are expensive to make and are fewer in numbers because of that. Mid-tier and indie games have really helped disguise this fact this generation, so the Switch will still have plenty to pull from in that regard. Not to mention the Switch's hardware was designed to support nearly every modern engine under the sun, so porting these games to the system, plus the occasional AAA game that can run on it is very easy. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Cloudman said:

I would agree as well, but they'll be of a different type than the ones that were on 3DS. Meaning, instead of some one-off puzzle game that only really works in handheld mode, we'll see something that uses the Joy-Con in a unique way that can translate well to both docked and undocked play-styles. With the Switch, there's no longer a need to make games that are strictly meant for on the go play because nearly every game can work well in both contexts. 

Yeah, I can see that happening with the Joy cons, at least from Nintendo. They like to experiment with the tools they have. I just meant more games like a top down Zelda like A Link Between Worlds for example. A lower budget style game, but still a good fit on the system. I think there still be games like this on the Switch, but maybe not as much as console style games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Super Mario Bros U Deluxe.
Travis Strikes Again.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Daemon X Machina
Luigis Mansion 3.
Town.
Yoshi.
Animal Crossings.
Shin Megami Tensei V.
Bayonetta 3.
Metroid Prime 4.
Dragon Quest XI S
Mortal Kombat 11

If all these games dont get delayed and considering all the other ports and some more lower budget games, this might be the strongest year I have ever seen by any console

I'm excited for more third parties plus newer first parties. I feel like crash racing, ,mortal Kombat and ultimate alliance are just a start. There's that rumour if assassin's creed collection as well but we don't know which games. We might be getting more games from western and Japanese 3rs parties than we've had on Nintendo consoles for a while. Something like assassin's creed( or watch dogs), call of duty, maybe a proper wwe 2k. We know we are getting stuff like doom eternal already. So I'm excited where this little hybrid machine goes to next

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also