By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else feel resolution is overrated?

I prefer...

Resolution over detail/effects 23 26.14%

Detail/effects over resolution 65 73.86%

Total:88

Nope resolution is important; I want both hence why I have X1x. Developer actually have the choice yet they always choose to boost resolution. That show that the general gaming public prefere resolution

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
ironmanDX said:

Qft.

Yeah, plus, that performance gap PS had over XB existed for the first 4 years+ of the gen at a cheaper price. And PS has better + more games. XB is inferior in every other quantifiable metric that matters to gamers. Briefly having a more powerful system at the end of the gen has meant exactly 2 things. Jack and shit. That's why XBO is an also-ran that's going to be passed by the Switch, a system that launched over 3 years after the XBO, in short order. Resolution, right? It doesn't matter how positive Phil Spencer is. Don't buy into his hype. That guy could step in dog shit right before he walked in on his brother railing his wife, and then tweet about what a good day it was.

Oh yeah man. Your explanation is awesome. 

CGI-Quality said:
ironmanDX said:

Qft.

Not really. It totally skips the point of the thread, in fact. The OP never denied nor questioned the importance of resolution. He asked if it is undeservedly praised. By this same thinking, one could argue that many Xbox fans did not care for res until their system was the one touting 4K (Forbes did an about face with the X1X), while a chunk of PC fans sit back and laugh at both sides.

That is a silly measuring contest to entertain, regardless. 

The threat is pretty clear. Resolution is overrated, yes o no. 

In 2013 the answer was NO. (beginning of generation, DF was making its videos over and over again about 1080p ps4, 900p one). 

In 2017 the answer was YES. (xbox one x comes on the scene. Where is DF now? Oh yeah, the comparison now is about ps4 pro and switch). 

Who cares about PC. We are talking about consoles. PC users can take resolution they want. 

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

First framerate, >40fps is fine for me, but if I can reach 60fps, matching my monitor's 60Hz refresh rate, so much the better. After I got a decent framerate, I look for a balance between resolution and effects, anyhow having just a 1080p monitor I don't need a res any higher than that. If I must choose a compromise, I prefer getting 1080p and then just the effects I like and the best anti-aliasing I can get without sacrificing framerate and resolution. Usually I find acceptable compromises, as I don't like any FX that make the images less sharp or that add badly implemented supposedly realistc flaws, so I turn them off completely. Any FX well done is welcome, anyway, if it doesn't make fall under the minimum I prefer the features I consider essential.
If you're talking about 4k, then I agree completely, as I don't need it yet, neither having any TV or monitor reaching that res, nor large enough to really get visible benefits from it, although I could consider 4k res on monitors in which 1080p is already enough if it can be used to implement a faster and smoother antialiasing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Machina said:
Marth said:
I have to go with no.
Resolution is damn important.

I can't speak for the 1440p+ people since I am still capped at 1080p but have you ever turned down a youtube/twitch video from 1080p to 720p? Things get so much worse.
Notice it the most when watching Dota 2 or SC2. From pretty clear and sharp image to blurry mess in one step.
Ofc compression also is a part of that but the loss of pixels is noticeable and I would rather have less overly fancy stuff then a lower resolution.

Also that poll is a bit silly since more resolution = more detail.

This this this. The difference is huge and very much noticeable - to the extent that you instantly can tell whether you're watching 1080 or 720 without looking at the settings panel.

It depends how close you are and on the content. I did some tests a long time ago. Put these picture up on a 1080p screen full screen and walk or lean back until you can't tell the difference anymore.

First two are 1080p and 540p. The last two go down to 270p. It's simply the first picture resized, then pixel doubled to original size.

Detail and clean AA go before resolution. Ofcourse clean AA requires resolution in the first place as the best way to do it is still super sampling. You tube always looks way worse than the resolution it runs at due to the heavy compression. Blue ray still looks a lot more clear than Netflix at 1080p.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 03 December 2018

curl-6 said:
Keiji said:

The glorious was sarcasm. :P Honestly though I think it looks fine; x4 MSAA, and an art style that emphasizes subdued colours, takes place mostly at night, and doesn't have a lot of thin geometry helps a lot.

I know I was just kidding.

Around the Network

I look at it like this: In want to see a movie. When the credits roll, all I care about is whether or not I enjoyed it. As long as there were no issues that took me out of the experience, I could enjoy it on VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, or 4K. I've even watched some "bootleg" films that like there was Vaseline on the lens.

Clearer is better but not as important as it's been made out to be. I have both mid gen upgrades and sometimes I struggle to see the improvements on my 4K TV. I know they're there but when I play on the base consoles, I don't care at all. I just want to play the game. Somewhere along the way, I fell for the resolution con. It was never that serious outside of forum bragging rights.

d21lewis said:
I look at it like this: In want to see a movie. When the credits roll, all I care about is whether or not I enjoyed it. As long as there were no issues that took me out of the experience, I could enjoy it on VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, or 4K. I've even watched some "bootleg" films that like there was Vaseline on the lens.

Clearer is better but not as important as it's been made out to be. I have both mid gen upgrades and sometimes I struggle to see the improvements on my 4K TV. I know they're there but when I play on the base consoles, I don't care at all. I just want to play the game. Somewhere along the way, I fell for the resolution con. It was never that serious outside of forum bragging rights.

This.

Sure, if you can have the same game in better image quality, it is an improvement. But no improvement in image quality will make the boring game better than the good one.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yes and no, it depends on the game. But in most cases, I'd rather have good PP effects than a high resolution. Lighting, design and direction counts more as far as I'm concerned, even for games with higher graphical focus. It's kinda painful to play many modern games with low resolutions once you're used to higher ones though (I play my games in 1440p most of the time). Kinda like it's a bit of a drag to watch DVD's when you have 4k blu-ray.

Well, considering that I've had access to different resolutions over my years of gaming, I'd say no, I'd say it's important to me, just as much as fps is.

I like resolution, fps and effects all the same, but I always strive to find a balance between all 3, rather than outright all of one aspect and none of the other two.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

d21lewis said:

Perhaps it's because I'm getting older yet last night ST Insurrection was on tv and I'm thinking that looks damn great on my 4K tv, while the source is 1080i mpeg2 (cable) or perhaps even 720p. I'm glad I didn't start rebuying my movie collection in 4K as I'm mostly watching Netflix (1080p) nowadays and happy with it.

I also still game far more on my old 1080p tv than on the 4K tv. I do see the difference when I switch my pro to the 4K tv, yet while I'm playing I don't bother to move over when the tv becomes available. Plus video capture works better on the 1080p tv as the downgrade from wide color HDR makes it all look rather over saturated with weird contrast. However there's still improved loading times, more storage space and improved performance especially with psvr, so not a waste at all.

Actually I usually have Voyager on, on the 4K tv, SD pillar boxed, while playing GT Sport on the pro on my old 1080p tv. Can't be bothered to switch it around.