By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else feel resolution is overrated?

I prefer...

Resolution over detail/effects 23 26.14%

Detail/effects over resolution 65 73.86%

Total:88

I think I will be in minority here but I'd rather take higher resolution over some fancy special effects which in some cases even make the game look worse than it is.

Around the Network

I somewhat disagree. Alan waske doesnt look good on my 60" 4k tv. Also tried red redemption on ps3 and it looks really blurry. The low resolution was obvious when I played it on the xb1 X. 4k looks very good. That said . 4k is overratd.

No.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

manuelogando40 said:
It depends. At the beginning of the generation the resolution was the most important thing.
After the output of xbox one x, the resolution is no longer important.

Qft.

ironmanDX said:
manuelogando40 said:
It depends. At the beginning of the generation the resolution was the most important thing.
After the output of xbox one x, the resolution is no longer important.

Qft.

Yeah, plus, that performance gap PS had over XB existed for the first 4 years+ of the gen at a cheaper price. And PS has better + more games. XB is inferior in every other quantifiable metric that matters to gamers. Briefly having a more powerful system at the end of the gen has meant exactly 2 things. Jack and shit. That's why XBO is an also-ran that's going to be passed by the Switch, a system that launched over 3 years after the XBO, in short order. Resolution, right? It doesn't matter how positive Phil Spencer is. Don't buy into his hype. That guy could step in dog shit right before he walked in on his brother railing his wife, and then tweet about what a good day it was.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

It's a combination of things. Resolution matters regardless of what people say, that being said it's the lesser of the 3 things IMO that make games look and play better.

A higher resolution shows more detail in a like for like game, there's no arguing that. A good example is the recent upgrade of Final Fantasy 13 with the Xbox 360 vs XBO-X comparison. Moving from 720p to much higher resolutions (even 1080p) is a significant upgrade because it allows more details in texture work to be seen, especially when texture work from last gen was sometimes lower than 720p assets. Resolution = how our eyes see things.

But graphically speaking texture work, lighting, polygon count, and artstyle are what make game look more appealing to our minds / preferences. You can have a 4K resolution background in a game, but another game at 1080p with high quality texture work, Dynamic lighting models, high poly count models, and a realistic or stylized artstyle can still look much better graphically, because it overall look appeals more to our minds and preferences.

Any resolution over 1440p is generally enough to provide a very clear and sharp image, especially backed by Anti Aliasing, and why IMO 1800p upscaled would be the better choice graphically from next-gen consoles rather than aiming for full 4K (at least for graphically intense games / games aiming for 60fps).

CGI-Quality said:
ironmanDX said:

Qft.

Not really. It totally skips the point of the thread, in fact. The OP never denied nor questioned the importance of resolution. He asked if it is undeservedly praised. By this same thinking, one could argue that many Xbox fans did not care for res until their system was the one touting 4K (Forbes did an about face with the X1X), while a chunk of PC fans sit back and laugh at both sides.

That is a silly measuring contest to entertain, regardless. 

I agree... Mostly. Resolution gate was absolutely huge. Digital foundry videos/threads were unavoidable once upon a time and now they're posted more about the Switch then the other consoles. I'll include myself as one of the xbox fans who "didn't care" in the beginning. It's just a cycle of the wars.

Even though the resolution gap has swung back favourably to my console maker of choice and I have an awesome TV to handle it , I still don't really care enough to go out and buy an X. I'd take 1440p with better visual effects over 4k every day of the year so I'm waiting for next generation instead.

The only measuring I was thinking about was the level of talk and controversy. Not sure how it is on other sites but on vgc, it just seems world's apart. I'll hush myself now.

ironmanDX said:
CGI-Quality said:

Not really. It totally skips the point of the thread, in fact. The OP never denied nor questioned the importance of resolution. He asked if it is undeservedly praised. By this same thinking, one could argue that many Xbox fans did not care for res until their system was the one touting 4K (Forbes did an about face with the X1X), while a chunk of PC fans sit back and laugh at both sides.

That is a silly measuring contest to entertain, regardless. 

I agree... Mostly. Resolution gate was absolutely huge. Digital foundry videos/threads were unavoidable once upon a time and now they're posted more about the Switch then the other consoles. I'll include myself as one of the xbox fans who "didn't care" in the beginning. It's just a cycle of the wars.

Even though the resolution gap has swung back favourably to my console maker of choice and I have an awesome TV to handle it , I still don't really care enough to go out and buy an X. I'd take 1440p with better visual effects over 4k every day of the year so I'm waiting for next generation instead.

The only measuring I was thinking about was the level of talk and controversy. Not sure how it is on other sites but on vgc, it just seems world's apart. I'll hush myself now.

Resolutiongate was important then because back then it mattered.

The consoles just released. The Pro and X came too late to make any difference. And this upgraded consoles really just goes to show how pointless the whole resolution gate thing was.

Which should make one wonder..... 

I dont believe its overrated, however people tend to put more emphasis on it than actual game play at times,which is the problem for me.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

How much detail do you actually perceive in a moving image? When you stand still you can take in the details, yet when things are moving you don't see that sharp anyway. Killzone did that fake 1080p by blending two half resolution images. When you stand still it's sharp while moving you're only playing in half the resolution basically (online). It took a while before people caught on to that.

Screenshots from videos always look way worse than the video in motion. You also pick up more detail from successive images. Same goes for VR with stereo images. Two 960p images each for one eye give the illusion of a higher resolution overall. A higher frame rate does the same up to a point.

What is the sweet spot, what is comparable? 1080p30 vs 720p60, what looks better?