By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone else feel resolution is overrated?

I prefer...

Resolution over detail/effects 23 26.14%

Detail/effects over resolution 65 73.86%

Total:88
curl-6 said:

So I'm replaying Alan Wake on the 360 at the moment, in glorious 960x540, and it strikes me; this game still looks great.

You should at least play it on an Xbox One to avoid screen tearing and to have less slowdowns from 30 fps to ~25 fps... the black crush problem of the initial BC emulation has been fixed.

Obviously the PC version is the way to go for Alan Wake since it beats the 360-version in every aspect by miles (resolution + framerate + effects + viewing distance + no screen tearing)

Around the Network

...but seriously as a long time console gamer who transitioned to pc gaming over the last year or so with a fairly powerful pc, the difference having higher resolutions and framerates (especially) makes to the gaming experience is amazing

i can't go back now, when i see stuff in 30 frames on console it hurts my eyes now and low resolutions make everything look so blocky

Resolution, special FX/textures/frame rate are trade offs, when the devs build their game they fix those attributes to suit the hardware the game is going to run on... Now, except frame rate they're all mostly up to taste.

Like, for most 3D graphics everything else being equal higher resolution (let's say 4K vs 1440p like in XboxOne X vs PS4 Pro or 1080p vs 720p like on PS4 vx XboxOne) is better... however, if you take a different game and compare it to another game you could prefer the one that has lower resolution, it's nothing new, nor is it surprising.

However, I prefer low resolution pixel art, like we had in 16-bit area arcade games or console games (arcades had much better specs, they allowed for more frames of animation, more colors sprites and details in the backgrounds, which often allowed for better looking games)... There are few HD 2D games that I find more pleasing to look at than those old school games, it may be my nostalgia infused take on it.

As for frame rate, I'd say 144hx or bust! ... not really, you can play and have fun with games that have low or very low frame rate (a lot of people argue that Zelda Ocarina of Time is the best game of all time, and I think it runs at 20FPS on the N63) so without context it means little, but I am pretty sure that if we had access to a 120fps version of this game people would love it "more" as the feeling of smoothness would be just amazing, riding Epona through the hills would be just amazing and it would feel like a new game altogether.

Now when I setup graphics details to play on PC I give frame rate above 60fps the top priority, when I have the option on the PS4 PRO I take the high FPS option (I played god of war at 1080 on my 4K screen... I couldn't stand 30FPS when I switched from some unstable close to, but not quite, 60fps)... as for details vs resolution I say it depends :-/ native resolution is preferable, but as you said, "it depends".

So there is no right answer to this question.

Resolution is a huge waste of processing power - and I really mean waste. Increasing resolution is very expensive in terms of processing power, and that power could probably be used to significantly improve the visuals otherwise. We're at a point where increasing resolution gives more or less diminishing returns already, and personally I could definitely stand even sub-1080p resolutions.

I frankly couldn't care less about resolution. Framerate is more important

Around the Network

1080p is great. It should be the standard, but if the hardware can only do 1080p by sacrificing effects and texture quality then then no, lower the resolution.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Since I discovered that the most beautiful game I've played this year (Spider-Man) is sometimes around 900p on the PS4 Slim, I couldn't care less about resolution.

Resolution does make a difference (that glorious, razor sharp 4k), but if devs prioritize res over fps, then yes, it's overrated.

Barkley said:
JRPGfan said:
^ thats some marketing BS stuff, and not real.

Those fortnite picks are BS. The XBO X runs the game dynamically from 1152p to 1728p. The PS4 Pro runs dynamically from 900p to 1080p.

Why are both those images 1152p? Because they shrunk the XBO X image down to it's worst possible resolution, and scaled up PS4 Pro for comparison.

The PS4 Pro image should be scaled up to the same size as the XBO X for comparison, but the XBO X image should not be shrunk down at all.

If the XBO X was actually rendering at 1152p in that scene they took a screenshot of, then they chose the worst possible scene for comparison, again to make the PlayStation look good, and makes using it as a comparison for "4k vs 1080p" completely useless, as those images are comparing 1152p vs 1080p, not 2160p vs 1080p.

The site I took it from, was compairing them to one another, and had them labled as 1080 for the PS4pro, and 4k for the xbox one x.

curl-6 said:

So I'm replaying Alan Wake on the 360 at the moment, in glorious 960x540