By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the XBOX One outsell the SNES?

Will XBOX One outsell the SNES?

Yes 55 51.89%

No 51 48.11%

Total:106
CaptainExplosion said:
Eh, I doubt it, but it'll be good for Xbox if it does. :)

Willing to make a bet?

Around the Network

Easily. Keep in mind they have 3 big announcements due out in 2019 in Crackdown 3, Ori 2 and Gears 5 plus games like Battletoads and afew other smaller titles that will surely interests none Xbox owners. Next year is going to be big for Xbox and if games like Halo Infinite becomes crossplay than i can see it doing well over 50m.

Azzanation said:
Easily. Keep in mind they have 3 big announcements due out in 2019 in Crackdown 3, Ori 2 and Gears 5 plus games like Battletoads and afew other smaller titles that will surely interests none Xbox owners. Next year is going to be big for Xbox and if games like Halo Infinite becomes crossplay than i can see it doing well over 50m.

Halo Infinite will definitely be a crossgen/crossplay title.

I'm among the people that believe MS is gonna support X1 and the next Xbox together. Things like Xbox Live and Gamepass justify continued X1 support, also the console architecture is likely to stay much the same.

I want the next Xbox to be priced at $499 so its a fairly significant specs upgrade, while the X1X is the low price option.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 01 December 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Double Post

Mr Puggsly said:
Azzanation said:

Halo Infinite will definitely be a grossgen/crossplay title.

I'm among the people that believe MS is gonna support X1 and the next Xbox together. Things like Xbox Live and Gamepass justify continued X1 support, also the console architecture is likely to stay much the same.

I want the next Xbox to be priced at $499 so its a fairly significant specs upgrade, while the X1X is the low price option.

Agreed. X is unmatched this gen so the jump is needed to justify next generation. X being the entry level console is almost certain. A discless streaming xbox is not hard to imagine either though.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
100% it will. It's hard to imagine what should happen at this point to Xbox One that it won't reach 50m mark. I think the more interesting question is will it outsell NES? Which really depends on how Microsoft will handle next-gen. Will they make One X as an entry option for next-gen by reducing it's price and making the newer console a high-end option?

No way MS does that. They don't have the pull to force devs to continue to develop on the outdated HW for next gen. Even if they forced the issue by saying they must do it or they can't publish on the XB2, many devs would just refuse.

As for the NES, I doubt XBO goes much past 55M, let alone 60M.

Mr Puggsly said: 
thismeintiel said: 
Depends. If next year is mainly silent and MS has more firesales, I think they should achieve ~50M-55M when all is said and done. However, if next year is filled with PS5 talk for the last half of the year, you may see people skipping out on it (and PS4 to a lesser extent), looking forward to next gen. And if MS continues the same policy of releasing everything on PC and has more expensive HW at launch, I see the XB2 performing worse than the XBO.

Even if X1 sales decline with anticipation of the next gen, it shouldn't be far from 50 million when that begins happening. So even with a sales decline it should make it to 50 million.

If Xbox sales decline because of sharing gaming with PC, then I guess that would mean Xbox games are doing very well on PC? If the next Xbox sells less, it would likely be for other reasons.

I agree that it definitely looks certain to hit 50M. At least on VGC, since we have no official numbers.

The XB2 would sell less because it will be redundant out of the gate. All of its games may be payable on PC, meaning that it wouldn't have a unique personality, like the PS5 and Switch. And if this gen is anything to go on, MS doesn't mind being more expensive out of the gate, which also will not help them. Even if they have a slight power advantage over PS5. 

thismeintiel said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
100% it will. It's hard to imagine what should happen at this point to Xbox One that it won't reach 50m mark. I think the more interesting question is will it outsell NES? Which really depends on how Microsoft will handle next-gen. Will they make One X as an entry option for next-gen by reducing it's price and making the newer console a high-end option?

No way MS does that. They don't have the pull to force devs to continue to develop on the outdated HW for next gen. Even if they forced the issue by saying they must do it or they can't publish on the XB2, many devs would just refuse.

As for the NES, I doubt XBO goes much past 55M, let alone 60M.

Mr Puggsly said: 

Even if X1 sales decline with anticipation of the next gen, it shouldn't be far from 50 million when that begins happening. So even with a sales decline it should make it to 50 million.

If Xbox sales decline because of sharing gaming with PC, then I guess that would mean Xbox games are doing very well on PC? If the next Xbox sells less, it would likely be for other reasons.

I agree that it definitely looks certain to hit 50M. At least on VGC, since we have no official numbers.

The XB2 would sell less because it will be redundant out of the gate. All of its games may be payable on PC, meaning that it wouldn't have a unique personality, like the PS5 and Switch. And if this gen is anything to go on, MS doesn't mind being more expensive out of the gate, which also will not help them. Even if they have a slight power advantage over PS5. 

You're making the assumption that 3rd parties won't want to support base X1 or X1X when we don't know what the plans are quite yet. For example, maybe the 9th gen Xbox is essentially just a big specs upgrade and can share software easily with the X1. Kinda like a Windows game, tweaking graphics settings for the hardware. That's certainly what MS should aim for.

Also, for a few years developers tend to support previous gen hardware. Many of the smaller and visually simplistic games should work fine on base X1 specs for the entire gen 9th gen. I mean look at much of stuff on the PlayStation and Xbox store, much of those games could have ran on 7th gen specs.

Xbox games being playable on PC doesn't make them less unique, it just means you have more ways to play them. Would Horizon, God of War and Spider-Man be less great if they were on PC? No, more people would just play them. Some of the best selling PS4 games aren't even exclusive.

I think MS having the most powerful console on market is an edge worth having, especially if the X1X functions as a viable low cost option for 9th gen games. However, its worth noting the X1X's power advantage over the PS4 Pro is more than "slight" between the GPU, CPU, and RAM advantages. All that combined means it could handle 9th gen games much better than the PS4 Pro.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

They will finish this generation with 55-60 million by the time the console is discontinued.

Xbox one x is probably going th be around long after the next gen system. It will be very easy for dev to port a version to X1X.

Xbone will end at 55 million roughly

Yes, the market is much bigger today than it was in the 1990s and there was no "Super Nintendo Pro" or something released to extend the SNES' life cycle the way the XBox One has the X.