By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Loot boxes to be investigated by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission)

KManX89 said:
DroidKnight said:
This is good. But be ready for the end of 59.99 dollar games.

If you seriously think companies like EA, Activi$ion, Take Two, Ubisoft, etc. would stop selling DLC, MTXs, season passes, etc. if they raised game prices, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to you.

Hell, lots of games already come with SEs and they still try to milk you for more. 

I'm saying the bare bones price will be higher.  I never mentioned DLC, or season passes.  The cost of DLC and season passes are also going to go up.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DroidKnight said:
This is good. But be ready for the end of 59.99 dollar games.

Aren't things already moving into that direction anyway? AAA third party games seem to commonly have at least three editions at launch now, so it should only be a matter of time until the edition in the middle becomes standard, the low one becomes barebones and the high one obviously remains premium as it has always been perceived.

Yep.  But I still expect bare-bones to go up in price, or become more bare-boned.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

They could just sell the cosmetics individually but at a higer price, so instead of bying dozens of lootboxes for a skin, you could just buy the skin directly at a higher cost.

CuCabeludo said:
They could just sell the cosmetics individually but at a higer price, so instead of bying dozens of lootboxes for a skin, you could just buy the skin directly at a higher cost.

That is what I expect to happen if lootboxes are made illegal. DICE already did this when they removed the lootboxes from Star Wars Batttlefront 2 after the backlash, they started selling individual skins at prices ranging from $5 each to a whopping $20 a piece for Legendary skins, with voice lines and victory poses costing 50 cents each. Thankfully you can also buy them with in-game credits because $20 for a single skin is pretty steep, though still alot less steep than buying 20 lootboxes in the hopes of getting the skins you want and possibly still not getting it if you're unlucky. 

shikamaru317 said:
CuCabeludo said:

That is what I expect to happen if lootboxes are made illegal. DICE already did this when they removed the lootboxes from Star Wars Batttlefront 2 after the backlash, they started selling individual skins at prices ranging from $5 each to a whopping $20 a piece for Legendary skins, with voice lines and victory poses costing 50 cents each. Thankfully you can also buy them with in-game credits because $20 for a single skin is pretty steep, though still alot less steep than buying 20 lootboxes in the hopes of getting the skins you want and possibly still not getting it if you're unlucky. 

It is indeed a much better deal, at least you have 100% guarantee of getting the skin you want.

Around the Network

Well, that's unfortunate. Gaming has been lucky to avoid most regulation. I hope government will stay the fuck out of it.

VAMatt said:
Well, that's unfortunate. Gaming has been lucky to avoid most regulation. I hope government will stay the fuck out of it.

It's because of an industry that can't regulate itself properly that governments are obligated to intervene.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
VAMatt said:

It's because of an industry that can't regulate itself properly that governments are obligated to intervene.

Governments certainly are not obligated to intervene. They are just butting their head in, like they do everywhere. 

And, it seems to me that the industry is self-regulating just fine.  They pulled back on loot boxes significantly once the public outcry grew.  At this point, I don't see them as anything remotely close to a problem.  They exist in some games, but they're not a big deal.  

Regardless of that, government intervention always causes problems.  They do a bad job of just about everything, as it seems that governments in general just don't get the concept of "unintended consequences." Gaming is likely to get a taste of their ruination here.  

Last edited by VAMatt - on 30 November 2018

VAMatt said:
Mar1217 said:

Governments certainly are not obligated to intervene. They are just butting their head in, like they do everywhere. 

And, it seems to me that they're self-regulating just fine.  They pulled back on loot boxes significantly once the public outcry grew.  At this point, I don't see them as anything remotely close to a problem.  

Regardless of that, government intervention always causes problems.  They do a bad job of just about everything, as it seems that governments in general just don't get the concept of "unintended consequences.". Gaming is likely to get a taste of their ruination here.  

Is this a joke post because when something begins getting out of hand a Government is obligated to get involved in this case loot boxes are a gambling mechanic so now the law is catching on to the fact that they'll need to be subject to gambling laws as real money is spent on the mechanic and is in a product that many children have access to on top of that the industry is also far from self regulating itself fine anyone with two eyes can see that they're more pushing to see what they can get away with this is why Governments and regulators are now taking note.

The whole SWBF2 and Middle Earth:SOW debacles highlight this in how the industry is not self regulating but instead implementing designs in games that force the use of the said mechanic.

I need to ask, since I might have missed it, does Ubisoft use lootboxes? Just looked up and got trails, anything else? 

Last edited by Acevil - on 30 November 2018