By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PR: Nintendo Switch Best Selling week Ever (US) (8.2mil+Sold Switches LTD) [Update: 8.6mil+]

PortisheadBiscuit said:
So Switch is up 115% over last BF and people are spinning it into a negative? Not surprising

Sadly it happens. Even if it does 1.1 Million in November you will see people spinning that as a huge negative. Even if that is an insanely good number, because sales people expectations > Positive Numbers. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 28 November 2018

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:
NPD will look something like this:

1.5m PS4
1.2m Switch
1.1m XB1

Give or take a 100k. I think Switch will dominate December though. Might be heading to 2.5m

Yeah these numbers sound pretty accurate to me. I think you'll be very close 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

SpokenTruth said:
quickrick said:

we are talking about the whole month of November, if 8.2 million number is accurate  which has the mostly likely scenario of being right.  

So you're trying to extrapolate something without real numbers or dates.  Got it.   I mean what are you comparing that 8.2 million figure against?  And for what time period?

Maybe you should read the article its as of november 26

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005283/en/Nintendo-Hits-Big-Milestones-Thanksgiving-Cyber-Monday

• Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.

The usual suspects are out in full force today, desperately trying to spin this hehehe.

Anyway, amazing sales. December is going to be massive. Smash seems unstoppable now.

Acevil said:
DonFerrari said:

I was talking only about BF. That since Nintendo said how much they growed and that they broken records, still not said they won, then PS4 likely won BF (perhaps even the 5 days including CM).

The month is still open even if we think PS4 is likely to have won. And that NPD info will come only at like Dec 12th.

As good as Nintendo research team maybe is, I also think they would not access to Sony's number. At least not that quickly. Given I do fully agree with the assertion that Sony won BF. I just don't think Nintendo PR this quickly in the week would have information about who won. 

I was under the impression that their PR is derived from data from Adobe and/or NPD, not only their internal team.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
quickrick said:

Maybe you should read the article its as of november 26

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005283/en/Nintendo-Hits-Big-Milestones-Thanksgiving-Cyber-Monday

• Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.

Right but what time period and figures are you using to deduce the 1 million for Nov figure?

switch in the US at the end of october was 7.38 million units sold according to NPD data we have, according to nintendo as of November 26 it has sold 8.2 million, so that actually les then a million, but this is that I will be using till NPD comes out, nintendo data is some what off sometimes but its the best data we have for now.

Saw the thread. Knew it would be the usual bullshit. >_

quickrick said:
SpokenTruth said:

Right but what time period and figures are you using to deduce the 1 million for Nov figure?

switch in the US at the end of october was 7.38 million units sold according to NPD data we have, according to nintendo as of November 26 it has sold 8.2 million, so that actually les then a million, but this is that I will be using till NPD comes out, nintendo data is some what off sometimes but its the best data we have for now.

So far we know this is the switches best week ever in the US. The previous record holder was launch week with over 500k. If the switch sold a little over 500k this week, that leaves 300k for the first 2 weeks of the month. Vgchartz has the first week at over 80k which will likely have Pokemon week at over 200k. So everything seems to add up fine. switch appears to be gaining a lot of momentum now. And will likely be up a decent amount yoy.

Nuvendil said:
quickrick said:

every company uses more then a certain number when announcing number, but yea nintendo numbers are a bit fishy, so it's 50/50 at this point that the data is accurate since they said 8.2 instead of just 8 million.

Worth noting Nintendo has lowballed in the hundreds of thousands before.  One theory floating is that these numbers are the Black Friday weekend numbers + numbers for the rest of the year.  So the sales they know for sure they have with the rest of November left out.  Which would be strangebut again, Nintendo has done weird PR before.  i mean, if Switch is only at 1 mil for the month, it's not just Benji that got it wrong, Switch being up substantially was called by multiple people.  EVERYONE would have to have been wrong.  

And just to reinforce the oddity, it seems Mochizuki of Wall Street Journal in Japan is declining to translate the 8.2 mil part and report it until he can get clarification so apparently even he's confused.

The PR speak has evolved in the past generation.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Acevil said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
So Switch is up 115% over last BF and people are spinning it into a negative? Not surprising

Sadly it happens. Even if it does 1.1 Million in November you will see people spinning that as a huge negative. Even if that is an insanely good number, because sales people expectations > Positive Numbers. 

Would a 1.1m November really be an insanely good number? Maybe the success of this generation has warped my thinking, but that doesn't really impress me. 1m is likely the minimum bar for a American November for a console to be relevant.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.