By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday NPD 2018

benji data seems very limited. i'll jus wait till npd, I can see ps4 doing 2 million and switch 1.3 cause cyber monday was included.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
From the sounds of it on Resetera its
1. PS4 (slightly down YoY)
2. NSW (up alot YoY)
3. XBO (down slightly YoY)

Last year was
1. PS4 ~1.6-1.7m
2. XBO ~1.3-1.4m
3. NSW ~750-800k

Based on the retailer insights and last year numbers I would guess

1. PS4 ~1.5m
2. NSW ~1.3m
3. XBO ~1.1m

Sounds reasonable. I figured ps4 would be about flat YoY because of the growth of the Switch actually taking part in black Friday this year. People simply didn't believe me. Still could change though if there's no credible info.

ironmanDX said:
zorg1000 said:
2. NSW (up alot YoY)

Last year was
1. PS4 ~1.6-1.7m
2. XBO ~1.3-1.4m
3. NSW ~750-800k

1. PS4 ~1.5m
2. NSW ~1.3m
3. XBO ~1.1m

Sounds reasonable. I figured ps4 would be about flat YoY because of the growth of the Switch actually taking part in black Friday this year. People simply didn't believe me. Still could change though if there's no credible info.

PS4 sales will  depend on how much  spiderman bundles they shipped, it has nothing to do  with switch. I been trying to get a ps4 199$ bundle A day before BF with no luck.

I have to say sony is kinda of stupid a 249$ spiderman bundle would make a freaking killing in December.

Last edited by quickrick - on 28 November 2018

zorg1000 said:
2. NSW (up alot YoY)

Last year was
1. PS4 ~1.6-1.7m
2. XBO ~1.3-1.4m
3. NSW ~750-800k

1. PS4 ~1.5m
2. NSW ~1.3m
3. XBO ~1.1m

The resetera guesses seems in line with what I have seem most expectations here.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Cobretti2 said:
From what I herd sales are down this year (well form early on in the first).

Maybe no one wants to announce a hollow victory lol.

We have learned that no victory is too hollow to announce for the video game industry.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

Believe you? Coming into this season if anything was being said it was that PS4 will be overall down YOY. 

It had been trending down YOY all year so far so I don't know who would or was thinking it was gonna suddenly spike upwards. So if you had been talking about the PS4 being flat YOY then that would actually have been an optimistic projection.

People started thinking that the PS4 may be up ONLY when that $199 spiderman bundle was unveiled..... and even then a lot of us said it will all come down to stock and how much of it sony makes available for the season. Which was clearly the case cause every single time it was listed anywhere it sold out within the hour.

And this has nothing at all to do with the Switch. That only works if sony being down is at the expense of the switch being up. But thats clearly not the case here especially if the PS4 is just flat....... which we honestly don't even know yet either.  

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:
2. NSW (up alot YoY)

Last year was
1. PS4 ~1.6-1.7m
2. XBO ~1.3-1.4m
3. NSW ~750-800k

1. PS4 ~1.5m
2. NSW ~1.3m
3. XBO ~1.1m

The resetera guesses seems in line with what I have seem most expectations here.

The truth is that if those end up being the numbers then thats piss poor for all of them.

Because last year Nov NPD didn't include Cyber monday.  

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

The truth is that if those end up being the numbers then thats piss poor for all of them.

Because last year Nov NPD didn't include Cyber monday.  

How in the world would that be piss poor for all of them?

Small decline for PS4/XBO in their 6th November is a great feat and Switch would be up by a very large amount. The 3 combined would be near 4 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ps4 - 1.8m
switch - 1.2m
xone - 1.3m

I must admit it seems i overstimated PS4 this holiday in USA (just because the info i saw resulted unreliable it seems and the fact COD launched this year in October instead of November). But PS4 must probably will sell around the same as last year thanks to CM. Switch will be way up from last year thanks to Pokemon and Smash hype, but by how much???, difficult to say, people need to remember that Switch "only" sold around 750k units last year, so with CM added this year how much % improvement can we expect??, 50%, 70%, 100%, more??. I really don't know but it "seems" this year it could be around 1-1'5M sold. Microsoft keep surviving thanks to being the cheaper console to play COD, Madden, BF, NBA, RDR 2, ....so that's why each year they sell a ton in USA and this year won't be different, so must probably will surpass 1M sold too.

All in all, another healthy month for console gaming in USA in November with probably 4M consoles sold.