By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 vs PS4 NPD Battle

loy310 said:
What the hell launched on the ps2 in 2002, was that gta or GT1, maybe it was price cut?
Too lazy to do my own research.
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Price cut may 2002. Went down $100 to $199 from $299. 

Sales soared after that the rest of the year. 

Yepp, that was Sony driving the spike through the heart of Xbox and Gamecube. 

If Sony was playing this generation the same, we would have had PS4 at $299.99 at E3 2015, with a Price cut to $199.99 when the Slim arrived in 2016. I miss the ruthless Sony of the PS2 era.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
loy310 said:
What the hell launched on the ps2 in 2002, was that gta or GT1, maybe it was price cut?

It was obviously this game:

=D

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Good work OP.

PS4 is doing a good work against PS2 despite its price, but despite a harder competition too, because its direct competitor, XB One, is way bigger than the original was back then. I think this holiday season will be the definitive turning point between PS4 and XBO. Until now they have been relatively close because ps4 exlusives until this year were not a phenomenon in USA so people still saw the consoles as similar, XBO had always very good deals in holidays and better price all the year and because of the push of XB One X they reignited sales last year. But this holiday PS4 at last have some exclusives that really matter to the greater audience in USA like God of War and Spider-Man. The mindset is changing in USA, as PS4 is becoming more popular because of its exclusives. The price is going to be better too, in fact, i won't be surprised if there is another permanent price cut por PS4 next year, and every lose in sales for XBO the following years is going to be a gain for PS4. That's why I expect another great sales year for PS4 next year and I expect PS4 selling around 40M units in the end in USA (and around 130M worldwide).

PortisheadBiscuit said:
2004 was low for PS2, was that the year there was a shortage during Christmas?

Correct, the Slim revision had released and was facing major shortages.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:
Surprised PS4 won last year. I think lifetime PS4 will finish with around 37m so not miles behind the PS2.

It won last year mostly due to the PS2 Slim releasing during the holidays and having massive shortages, but still very impressive nonetheless.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
loy310 said:

Combination of price cut+GTA, it had a $100 price cut to $199 and Vice City & GTAIII were the #1 & #2 best selling games of the year in 2002.

PS2 did 5.51m in 2005. That looks very close to what PS4 will do this year. Hard to say which will come out on top if you compare this year's PS4 to 2005 PS2.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
PS2 did 5.51m in 2005. That looks very close to what PS4 will do this year. Hard to say which will come out on top if you compare this year's PS4 to 2005 PS2.

Ya this will be a fun comparison, if I can find the individual months for PS2 in 2005 I'll make a thread for that battle too.

Shadow1980 said:

Relevant charts:

Thanks for the big contribution!

Would you happen to be able to give me the monthly sales for PS2 in 2005? I'm going to do a 2005 vs 2018 comparison thread and I'm missing a couple months.

No way will the PS4 beat PS2's numbers in the USA, it does have a chance in the rest of the world excluding Japan though