By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS improved Nintendo's voice acting. I

In the past, if and when Nintendo released a game with full voice acting in the US, the English voices were done in-house at Nintendo of America using local Seattle talent. Needless to say, the results were mixed at best, see Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Other M. But starting with Nintendo 3DS, specifically Kid Icarus: Uprising, Nintendo started branching out more, the game's English dialogue was outsourced to POP Sound in California, using more traditional Burbank voice actors like Hynden Walch and Troy Baker that most developers and publishers in the industry use. The game's excellent Voice cast and writing made it one of the best parts. From that point on, nearly every Nintendo title with any amount of substantial voice acting was done in Burbank rather than NoA HQ in Washington. Fire Emblem Awakening, Fates and Echoes, The Wonderful 101, Codename STEAM, Xenoblade Chronicles X, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Sushi Striker, WarioWare Gold, even Super Mario Odyssey had Kate Higgins playing Pauline. The one odd exception to this has to be Star Fox Zero, likely because Nintendo wanted to cash-in on Star Fox 64 nostalgia by getting the original cast back, and well... it's Star Fox Zero, was there anything redeeming about that game?

So it's good to see that the 3DS birthed this trend for Nintendo.

Last edited by TheMisterManGuy - on 24 November 2018

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

In the past, if and when Nintendo released a game with full voice acting in the US, the English voices were done in-house at Nintendo of America using local Seattle talent. Needless to say, the results were mixed at best, see Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Other M. But starting with Nintendo 3DS, specifically Kid Icarus: Uprising, Nintendo started branching out more, the game's English dialogue was outsourced to POP Sound in California, using more traditional Burbank voice actors like Hynden Walch and Troy Baker that most developers and publishers in the industry use. The game's excellent Voice cast and writing made it one of the best parts. From that point on, nearly every Nintendo title with any amount of substantial voice acting was done in Burbank rather than NoA HQ in Washington. Fire Emblem Awakening, Fates and Echoes, The Wonderful 101, Codename STEAM, Xenoblade Chronicles X, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Sushi Striker, WarioWare Gold, even Super Mario Odyssey had Kate Higgins playing Pauline. The one odd exception to this has to be Star Fox Zero, likely because Nintendo wanted to cash-in on Star Fox 64 nostalgia by getting the original N64 cast back, and well... it's Star Fox Zero, was there anything redeeming about that game?

So it's good to see that the 3DS birthed this trend for Nintendo.

BotW though had some really pedestrian voice acting, I agree though Nintendo is at least now catching up to the times in terms of voice acting. Star Fox 64 had some great voice acting and that was back in 1997. 

SammyGiireal said:

BotW though had some really pedestrian voice acting, I agree though Nintendo is at least now catching up to the times in terms of voice acting. Star Fox 64 had some great voice acting and that was back in 1997. 

I didn't think it was awful, but considering Zelda's pedigree and BotW being the first time the series had any voice acting at all, it could've been a lot better, but it also could've been much worse as well. 

Sure, their games feature better voice acting than they did a decade ago. But, Nintendo games are still a couple of decades behind the rest of the industry, at least when it comes to AAA games, in terms of the quality of their voice acting.

(Edited to clean up some typos.  My new phone hasn't learned me very well yet, so voice-to-text yields garbage far too often.)

Last edited by VAMatt - on 24 November 2018

VAMatt said:
Sure, their games that you're better voice acting but they did a decade ago. But, Nintendo games are still a couple of decades behind the rest of the industry, at least when it comes to AAA games, in terms of the quality of their voice acting.

At least using Zelda as an example her voice actress paled badly in contrast to Aloy in HZD. So I would have to agree. 

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Sure, their games that you're better voice acting but they did a decade ago. But, Nintendo games are still a couple of decades behind the rest of the industry, at least when it comes to AAA games, in terms of the quality of their voice acting.

I'd say a lot of that is because of union vs. non-union. While NIntendo has been doing virtually all of its recent voice work in Burbank, they mostly rely on non-union VAs, the ones you typically find in English dubs of Anime. Most other AAA developers use more high profile talent, with some even starting to employ a few Hollywood actors like Norman Reedus. Fire Emblem for example, is basically a who's who of Anime dub actors. 

Mar1217 said:
SammyGiireal said:

At least using Zelda as an example her voice actress paled badly in contrast to Aloy in HZD. So I would have to agree. 

The rest of the cast was completly fine though, Zelda was the only one pointed since she had an odd accent and one scene in particular wasn't as good as the other dubs.

I did not think she was bad, the accent just did not fit.  I mean even her father did not have it, so it really was just kinda out of no where.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Mar1217 said:

The rest of the cast was completly fine though, Zelda was the only one pointed since she had an odd accent and one scene in particular wasn't as good as the other dubs.

I did not think she was bad, the accent just did not fit.  I mean even her father did not have it, so it really was just kinda out of no where.

The king did also have an accent. It just isn't as noticeable. Personally, I loved Zelda's voice. I would like to hear more of it in a sequel that is more story heavy.

1doesnotsimply