By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won October NPD (PS4 > NS > XBO)

Eagle367 said:

PS4 might take november too.

I don't think switch with Pokémon will loose November. If it does, then the switch has a problem. Switch should be king even though black Friday helps the other 2 much more

Of Course it can, PS4 has bundle with Spiderman for $199 (that will be in sale almost hole week) and reports saying it having huge stock of those bundles, on other side you have MK8D bundle for $299 and hardly that even Pokeomon can compete with that PS4 offer. So its almost certain that PS4 will win this November, saying that, it doesnt mean that Switch cant have great November and much better than last year in any case (because insiaders saying that Switch is selling very good and much better than last year in same period). PS4 will probably have 2m+ November while last year it had 1.5m+ November, Switch easily have 1m+ November and maybe hit even 1.5m, while last November had 750k.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 21 November 2018

Around the Network

I think Sony will take November too, that $199.99 Spider-Man bundle is just too much of a no brainer buy.

PS4 is showing late gen legs because of the PS4 Pro model as well, that's a game changer, as hardware manufacturers embrace mid-gen refreshes you will see stronger late gen performance.

But Switch should have a healthy November too and take December though it could be close. Again the Pro/X model effect is going to prevent a lot of the late gen decline you would normally see. 

Rdr2 is actually ~4.6M sales.

Black Ops 2 should be closer to 7M since it opened higher than Black Ops 3 and closer to 2.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (360, PS3, PC, Wii U) - 7.4 million

Red Dead Redemption (360) - 945.9K
Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - 567.1K

Soundwave said:

But Switch should have a healthy November too and take December though it could be close. Again the Pro/X model effect is going to prevent a lot of the late gen decline you would normally see. 

Hardly that $199.99 Spider-Man bundle will be avalible in December, and December is genearly easilystrongest month for Nintendo in any case and this year Switch have Smash Bros launch and it coming 2 weeks after launch of Pokemon Lets Go, so December probably will not be even close (easily 2m+ month for Switch).

PS4 is king as always.

Around the Network

OP should be updated thread with more informations from official NPD statement.

In any case top 10 selling Switch games for October:

1. Super Mario Party
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Super Mario Odyssey
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5. Diablo III
6. Starlink: Battle For Atlas
7. Dark Souls Remastered
8. The World Ends with You: Final Remix
9. Lego DC Super Villains
10. My Hero One's Justice

I am very happy seeing that Diablo III, Starlink: Battle For Atlas and Dark Souls Remastered charting very good on Switch list,
all those games are right after Mario Party and Switch evergreens (Zelda, MK8DX and Odyssey).
Those games deserves good sales on Switch.

Miyamotoo said:

1. Super Mario Party
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Diablo III
7. Dark Souls Remastered

I am very happy seeing that Diablo III, Starlink: Battle For Atlas and Dark Souls Remastered charting very good on Switch list,
all those games are right after Mario Party and Switch evergreens (Zelda, MK8DX and Odyssey).

They're charting behind games that released over a year ago. I wouldn't say they performed very good for new releases. It highlights the problem of games that aren't made by Nintendo not selling well. Starlink even leveraged Nintendo IP in it's attempt.

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

1. Super Mario Party
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Diablo III
7. Dark Souls Remastered

They're charting behind games that released over a year ago. I wouldn't say they performed very good for new releases. It highlights the problem of games that aren't made by Nintendo not selling well. Starlink even leveraged Nintendo IP in it's attempt.

First, despite those game that released over year ago they still are best selling Switch games every quarter, every quarter each of that games sells more than 1m. Second, you cant offten see that any 3rd party game and espacily multiplatform game can sneak up in top 10 selling Switch games, fact that those 3 games take positions after Switch evergreens proves they sell quite good in any case. Third, only Starlink is a new game, others are ports of older games, and funny enuogh, Starlink and Dark Souls Remastered (on release) did not charted on PS4 and XB1 lists of best selling games for those platforms while they did for Switch.

Kerotan said: 

Look at those October PS4 sales. Declining gradually from 2014 to 2017. Look at this data one would probably conclude last year on the assumption PS4 would be still €299 and pro €399 that we would see further decline. Instead it smashes it out of the water. PS4 will end up going so far over 100m I think most people even grasp the reality yet.  

I said a long time ago, that I see PlayStation 4 becoming the first console to push the industry forward since PS1 and PS2. If Sony supports it, PS4 can easily become the 1st 200 Million selling console. They have so much room to keep the platform going. With the right management, Sony has their Adroid/iOS.

They can do stuff like a PS4 Super Slim 4K Streaming Box to push the base price under $199.99, along with a PS4 Pro Slim with a 4K Blu-Ray drive at $299.99, while PS5 joins the mix at $499.99 bringing in their easrly adaptors. 

A PS4 Super Slim 4K streaming box would allow them to fend off some Amazon Fire TV, AppleTV, Roku, and Chromecast sales. This would not only continue PS4 sales, but also give PS Vue a shot in the arm. As they reach a new demographic, with a lower price and a wider reaching platform, it would just increase the snowball effect. If they truly want the widest reach possible they will allow PS5 games to be streamed via PS Now, to all PS4 as well. Game Streaming will blow up with the casual market, while the core ~80 - 100 Million console gamers will stick with native hardware, and grab a PS5 for the best expereince.

Then they have PSVR which should be in a position to bundle at $199.99 with the PS4 Super Slim in future holiday deals, helping them reach an even wider demographic. Even with the slow start, I still see VR being the next Smartphone explosion in tech. Once it is in the impulse buy zone, and more people get one or try one, it is going to take off. I think VR will be a bigger hit with the billions of people that don't play Gamepad and TV based games, because it is an active and social activity. If Sony opens up VR, and makes sure all 3rd party software, even non gaming likes come to PSVR, then PSVR could give PS4 a huge second life. 

It all leads to Sony restructuring its Mobile divsion around PlayStation in the end. PS4 has laid the groundwork. Ryzen and Navi are the building blocks to bringing X86 and Radoen to Mobile Phones, while Solid State Batteries and 5G make an even stronger argument. Between Home, VR, and Mobile, PS4 has set Sony up to turn the PlayStation Ecosystem into a platform with more than 200 Million active users. 

People Have Greatly Underestimated the Power of PlayStation. Remember, Do Not Underestimate the Power of PlayStation!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

BraLoD said:
Just made the new guy at work to buy a PS3 today, almost got it to be the PS4...
Why does nobody track that?

In japan they do, just look at those under 100 consoles sold for X360 and X1 we had many, many weeks.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."