By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Won October NPD (PS4 > NS > XBO)

Barkley said:
CosmicSex said:
NPD Analyst Mat Piscatella stated: "But yeah, no one saw this PS4 success happening this year, not even Sony."
Do you think this means that their 17 million forecast is still undercutting what the results will be and by how much?
Also, is it possible that Sony's failure to properly gauge sales will result in massive shortages?

Forecast isn't 17m anymore It's 17.5m! It got adjusted up again when they released Q2 results in October. Was 16m, then adjusted up to 17m, now 17.5m.

I think there probably will be shortages over the holidays.

This.  This also explains why we haven't got a perm price cut yet.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
And it is baffling that PS4 is still breaking records, Sony projection will be beaten again and who would think that a massive success and nearing 100M at the end of the fiscal year would still be retailing officially for 299 and only 100 USD lower than release, that is unprecedented.

Let's see if Sony still plan on cuts on the near future to keep it on 15M+ route and even be a budget option when they launch PS5 or if they saw that they don't need to go below 299 regular, 199 Holidays to sell major numbers not lose any on HW and still racks royally on SW. I loved my PS1, 2 and even 3. But this have truly been Playstation golden age (even more considering profit-wise and 1st party quality of titles).

Reading through some of the other comments, I don't think it is wise for them to lower that price.  Simply because they will enter a period of being perpetually sold out.  And they will never be able to get back to a health shelf stock until the PS5 arrives. 

CosmicSex said:
NPD Analyst Mat Piscatella stated: "But yeah, no one saw this PS4 success happening this year, not even Sony."
Do you think this means that their 17 million forecast is still undercutting what the results will be and by how much?
Also, is it possible that Sony's failure to properly gauge sales will result in massive shortages?

I think 18M is very safe, with strech to 20M and 19M being the most probable (which is still 3M higher than their projection). I wouldn't doubt they out ship Switch or at least have a technical tie for the fiscal year (and that is considering Sony is like 2 or 3M ahead so far in the year, but I expect Switch to sell more on holidays).

CosmicSex said:
DonFerrari said:
And it is baffling that PS4 is still breaking records, Sony projection will be beaten again and who would think that a massive success and nearing 100M at the end of the fiscal year would still be retailing officially for 299 and only 100 USD lower than release, that is unprecedented.

Let's see if Sony still plan on cuts on the near future to keep it on 15M+ route and even be a budget option when they launch PS5 or if they saw that they don't need to go below 299 regular, 199 Holidays to sell major numbers not lose any on HW and still racks royally on SW. I loved my PS1, 2 and even 3. But this have truly been Playstation golden age (even more considering profit-wise and 1st party quality of titles).

Reading through some of the other comments, I don't think it is wise for them to lower that price.  Simply because they will enter a period of being perpetually sold out.  And they will never be able to get back to a health shelf stock until the PS5 arrives. 

Yep, they are probably at a point in their curve that additional production would cost more instead of less, and at current production they can sell almost all without pricecut so no need for it.

Now perhaps next year or 2020 they will see a point in reducing price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CosmicSex said:
Train wreck said:

Sony knows their limitations, that's why they can't lower the price of the PS4 worldwide.  They know that they would not meet demand, at all.  Japan wouldn't care but Sony' hasn't been focused there, everywhere else in the world though, it would sell out almost instantaneously.

Cleaver analysis.  Basically you are saying that Sony has to keep the price up because it can't meet demand.  Mat suggests that the amount of units sold will already be equal to the amount of stock.  They are already going to be in the whole with no stock.  Lowering the price worldwide would make the supplying the PS4 completely unsustainable.    

Then they should do more PS4.

DonFerrari said:
CosmicSex said:

I think 18M is very safe, with strech to 20M and 19M being the most probable (which is still 3M higher than their projection). I wouldn't doubt they out ship Switch or at least have a technical tie for the fiscal year (and that is considering Sony is like 2 or 3M ahead so far in the year, but I expect Switch to sell more on holidays).

CosmicSex said:

Yep, they are probably at a point in their curve that additional production would cost more instead of less, and at current production they can sell almost all without pricecut so no need for it.

Now perhaps next year or 2020 they will see a point in reducing price.

Exactly.

Around the Network

Oh ok.

CosmicSex said:

1) yeah sony has a history of under-betting things. I feel like they do it on purpose (since it keeps happending) so they can come out and say "how is it doing this? it beat expectations".

2) I wouldnt be surprised if they actually manage to do like 18m+ this year.

3) Its very possible, that they didnt prepair enough stock, and actually run into shortages.

Look at last year, that 1week black friday deal, was sold out on the 2nd day.
Sony doesnt like to overship/stock things. Like in japan this year they had shortages of the normal PS4 & PS4pro right?
And the Pro was in shortage in europe and the US a few times too. So even if its the 5th year, there can be shortages, if Sony underestimated things to badly.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 21 November 2018

Keiji said:
CosmicSex said:

Cleaver analysis.  Basically you are saying that Sony has to keep the price up because it can't meet demand.  Mat suggests that the amount of units sold will already be equal to the amount of stock.  They are already going to be in the whole with no stock.  Lowering the price worldwide would make the supplying the PS4 completely unsustainable.    

It depends on when they can get parts at the right prices..... sony might be waiting for options to present themselves (ei. so they maximise their profits).
Theres a downside to this ofcourse, if you dont predict sales expectations right, you run into shortages (which can then be costly to correct).

Sony/MS/Nintendo probably buy in bulk quantities whenever prices of units are at low points.
If someone else is currently buying parts ect or the prices arnt right they might just wait..... until their forced to buy
(and then they ll do it in small amounts, until prices allow them to buy large quanities again).

Stuff like that can lead to shortages, or to limiting choices, so they ei. dont do a price cut and just sell massive amounts.

JRPGfan said:
Keiji said:

It depends on when they can get parts at the right prices..... sony might be waiting for options to present themselves (ei. so they maximise their profits).
Theres a downside to this ofcourse, if you dont predict sales expectations right, you run into shortages (which can then be costly to correct).

Sony/MS/Nintendo probably buy in bulk quantities whenever prices of units are at low points.
If someone else is currently buying parts ect or the prices arnt right they might just wait..... until their forced to buy
(and then they ll do it in small amounts, until prices allow them to buy large quanities again).

Stuff like that can lead to shortages, or to limiting choices, so they ei. dont do a price cut and just sell massive amounts.

Sony buys on long-term contracts with expected quantities that will either have fines, credits or extra pays depending on the changes they do on immediate purchase. But perhaps at current technology and efficiency their best cost on HW is around 1.5M produced a month and they only go above it (costing more on production) when they think the extra sales will bring much more revenue on SW in a way that they make more total profit.

This time it may not have be enough to justify doing price cuts to increase demand and at the same time occur more cost to increase supply because SW wouldn't pick up the slack.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

We are in a time when the factories are "sold out" in China, it's XMas production crunch and there are no free supply lines available, anywhere, any factory. Even if they wanted, Sony could not magically produce more PS4s than they have ordered. In such a hypothetical scenario (throwing out other customers for production of additional PS4s instead), the manufacturing price would probably skyrocket to $400. That's just the ugly side of mass manufacturing.

At $199, the PS4 induces a loss in the books. Like last year, Sony will simply set a maximum amount of money they want to lose on hardware which limits the number of $199 PS4s available. (Needless to say, currently the plain PS4s sell for $329-$349 here in town so it seems NA gets preferrential treatment although NA isn't really the prime market for Sony). As Sony increased the forecast, but they will produce the additional 0.5M units after the XMas rush, towards the end of this fj. Maybe with flying in units straight from the factories, they can avoid empty shelves after XMas...