By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon gen 8 should ditch wild battles and random encounters.

I fully agree with this im out here catching 200 pokemon in one day and get rewarded for the pokemon i dont keep

Around the Network

Personally I think a mix might be nice.
Keep the traditional wild battles but also keep the catching mini game. That way you actually have some kind of skill applied to the actual catching action itself, rather then 100% rng.

The catching mechanic would get harder the more health the wild pokemon has and get easier the less health it has left. That way the player can attempt to skip the battle if they aren't interested, but they can also have the battle and increase their catch rate.

The pokemon on the overworld could go hand in had with how much 'experience' the player has with with each kind of pokemon. The first encounter with any pokemon is always random a surprising random encounter, but the more often you've encountered a pokemon (or if you cought and analyzed it), the more 'aware' you are of their ususal hangout/hiding places and that's why you can see and seek them out/ avoid them on the map.

It keeps the excitement of random encounters, bc you're amost guaranteed to see something new, but also takes the annoyance associated with them away.

It's surprisingly easy to integrate Let's Go's features with traditional play, without taking depth or complexity away and make them into awesome improvements.

HintHRO said:
You casuals can play Pokemon Go and Let's Go (lowest reviewed Pokemon RPG game). Leave the real Pokemon RPGs alone.

As a long time Pokemon fan, I take offense to take. What can help grow the fan base is getting more people to play, which includes casuals. Don’t disregard them. And check the metacritic scores of all the mainline games and see if Let’s Go is the lowest.

shikamaru317 said:

I disagree on ditching wild Pokemon battles, agree on dropping random encounters. I want a Breath of the Wild like open world. Full 3D character and camera control, visible wild Pokemon in the world, any Pokemon can follow you around, battles taking place in the open world (though still turn based), a bigger scale than any previous Pokemon game. Sadly, this is Gamefreak we are talking about, they totally lack ambition, we will probably get a re-use of the Let's Go engine for Gen 8 except with wild battles and random encounters

Well it will take 3-5 years if you’re asking for a Breath if the Wild open world and over 800 Pokemon species in HD and 3D. I don’t think Game Freak works like that.

ResilientFighter said:
HintHRO said:
You casuals can play Pokemon Go and Let's Go (lowest reviewed Pokemon RPG game). Leave the real Pokemon RPGs alone.

Famitsu gave it 37/40 im sure they know more than your blind hatred about quality rpg

Famitsu don't know anything about anything.

jason1637 said:
SecondWar said:
I could live with the new encounter mechanic, but given that battling is the key mechanic of the core series so no, that shouldn't be ditched for wild battles. That it was, alongside the non-optional motion controls, was why I've overlooked Lets Go in the first place.

If you play in handled motion you don't use motion controls.

While a better option, don't you have to do the ball flick on the touchscreen? Wasn't keen on that either.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
ResilientFighter said:

Famitsu gave it 37/40 im sure they know more than your blind hatred about quality rpg

Then why do they exist? Why does Japan still care?

Let's Go is great, but as far as the main series titles go, Let's Go is enough. Just wait for Let's Go Johto.

SecondWar said:
jason1637 said:

If you play in handled motion you don't use motion controls.

While a better option, don't you have to do the ball flick on the touchscreen? Wasn't keen on that either.

No in handleld a you have to do is press A but the timing is key to catching the pokemon.

Barkley said:
ResilientFighter said:

They can say the same about you but their opinion carries weight and respect. 

shikamaru317 said:
Kai_Mao said:

Well it will take 3-5 years if you’re asking for a Breath if the Wild open world and over 800 Pokemon species in HD and 3D. I don’t think Game Freak works like that.

It would be worth the wait for sure. But yeah, Gamefreak doesn't work like that, you are right about that much. As I said before, they totally lack ambition. With the kind of sales Pokemon gets they could easily afford to be more ambitious and give these games a bigger budget, but instead they give us tiny little incremental upgrades and changes each gen. And as long as their tiny little incremental upgrades keep selling 10m+ copies each, they will probably never change and do something more ambitious, like a truly AAA open world Pokemon game like I want. 

What I’m wondering is if Pokemon fans are more than willing to wait 2, maybe 3 years, of no Pokemon? When I said 3-5 years to develop, it may possibly lead to maybe either having one remake or one third version come out if Game Freak is going to focus on the next generation of Pokémon. It all depends on how big or small their development team is. They are not likely to hire 300 people like EAD did for BoTW, especially if they want to stick with a particular budget range.

Pokémon mainline games have almost been a yearly thing with an exception of not having a game for year a few times. After RBY, they went right away with GSC and had a year or two gap before RSE. Then after that, it was pretty much a early thing until 2015. It’s an interesting thing that could use a worldwide poll.