By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 14 years later: thoughts on Doom 3?

I think it's a...

Great game 3 17.65%

Good game 8 47.06%

Okay game 6 35.29%

Weak game 0 0%

Shit game 0 0%

Total:17
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

I guess maybe it could've been pushed a little further, but surely games like Conker, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Riddick, Halo 2, etc were pretty close to its limits? I mean, we're talking about a circa 2001 GPU with 64MB of RAM to work with. I never got the feeling that its install base stopped the devs behind games like those from pushing hard to maximise the hardware, they already looked almost unbelievably good for the specs they were running on. Plus they already seemed to be hitting hard walls with things like Half-Life's low framerate, Doom being divided into smallers areas separated by load screens, and Halo 2 being downgraded from its E3 showing.

Games like Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick were ultimately PC ports, they were never built for the hardware itself from the ground up.
We both know when a game is built from the bottom up for a platform... That developers can pull off some interesting things.

Halo 2 did push a heap of shader effects though, but ultimately it made a ton of cut backs due to development time.

Bungie for example could have taken Halo 2's engine significantly farther than they did and implemented techniques like Impostering, Baked shadows+lighting and pushed the visuals out even farther than they did.

Don't get me wrong, the visuals the Original Xbox was pushing out was the best of the generation, just could have been a little bit more.
Wasn't Kameo originally an OG Xbox game for example at one point? That might have made it one of the best looking games on the system if that ever happened.

Kameo was a tricky one, it was at various points a Gamecube game, an original Xbox game, and finally a 360 game. Given what Rare accomplished with Conker Live & Reloaded I have no doubt that had Kameo finished as an OG Xbox game it would've been among the system's top lookers.

Also, I forgot to mention Ninja Gaiden Black, that was a built-for-the-hardware Xbox exclusive that pushed some stunning visuals.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 November 2018

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

I guess maybe it could've been pushed a little further, but surely games like Conker, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Riddick, Halo 2, etc were pretty close to its limits? I mean, we're talking about a circa 2001 GPU with 64MB of RAM to work with. I never got the feeling that its install base stopped the devs behind games like those from pushing hard to maximise the hardware, they already looked almost unbelievably good for the specs they were running on. Plus they already seemed to be hitting hard walls with things like Half-Life's low framerate, Doom being divided into smallers areas separated by load screens, and Halo 2 being downgraded from its E3 showing.

Games like Doom 3, Half Life 2, Riddick were ultimately PC ports, they were never built for the hardware itself from the ground up.
We both know when a game is built from the bottom up for a platform... That developers can pull off some interesting things.

Halo 2 did push a heap of shader effects though, but ultimately it made a ton of cut backs due to development time.

Bungie for example could have taken Halo 2's engine significantly farther than they did and implemented techniques like Impostering, Baked shadows+lighting and pushed the visuals out even farther than they did.

Don't get me wrong, the visuals the Original Xbox was pushing out was the best of the generation, just could have been a little bit more.
Wasn't Kameo originally an OG Xbox game for example at one point? That might have made it one of the best looking games on the system if that ever happened.

Actually, Riddick is originally XBOX game, later ported to PC with some additional content.

Amazingly underappreciated title among gamers.

Enjoyed it on the xbox. Enjoyed it even more when I maxed it on PC circa 2005. Still enjoyed it when I played the BFG eidition on 360. Great game.

I picked it up without watching any reviews I knew it existed but did not pick it up for a long time, and I honestly loved it so much but was also very scared because I am a slow gamer and check everything and then you get easy spooked with zombies/hell things jumping out of nowhere.

HoloDust said:

Actually, Riddick is originally XBOX game, later ported to PC with some additional content.

Amazingly underappreciated title among gamers.

I stand corrected! I am probably doing a disservice to the game/collection by not having it in my OG Xbox Collection.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

It was a technical marvel, but rather weak on the gameplay side.
Played the original close to launch on PC and Doom 3 BFG edition on 360 only a few years back. Still has many of the flaws of early games such as backtracking, repetitive level design etc.