By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SuperData: Players who pay for subscriptions spend 45% more on games

Market research firm SuperData reported that gamers who pay for subscriptions spend about 45 percent more for games than non-subscribers. That’s one reason why big game publishers like Sony, Microsoft, and Electronic Arts are betting more on subscription services.

SuperData, which media measurement giant Nielsen recently acquired, collected data on the top subscription services, demographic profiles, spending behavior, and in-game purchases of users that subscribe to a game service.

According to SuperData, subscribers also spend twice as much on in-game content when compared to non-subscribers. Cosmetics, Season Passes, and Battle Passes are the most popular in-game purchases among subscribers.

The top three subscriptions made up 6 percent of the overall premium PC and premium console
revenue in the third quarter of 2018. This number is expected to grow as more high-profile titles become
available on subscription services.

“The game subscription market heated up immensely in 2018 as game makers sought sources of consistent, recurring revenue,” said Carter Rogers, principal analyst at SuperData, in a statement. “To increase the appeal of their own subscription offerings, publishers are now offering brand-new titles to paying members.”

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/07/superdata-players-who-pay-for-subscriptions-spend-45-more-on-games/

Around the Network

I had no idea PS NOW! was so BIG!. So much bigger than everything else, including it's main competitor, ˣᵇᵒˣ ᵍᵃᵐᵉ ᵖᵃˢˢ. It kinda makes me horny. Not as much as it used to though. I'm pretty down on Sony. It's the next step towards hating everything.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Superdata went from questionable data to now fully cited by gameindustrybiz and others...impressive.

Train wreck said:
Superdata went from questionable data to now fully cited by gameindustrybiz and others...impressive.

Yeah. They were pretty bad, even fairly recently. Questionable Data would have been a better name for the site. I'm assuming they've improved.

?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Train wreck said:

Yeah. They were pretty bad, even fairly recently. Questionable Data would have been a better name for the site. I'm assuming they've improved.

?

They were recently bought by Nielsen and are now a direct threat to NPD (NPD has direct data maybe SuperData is entering that space as well), interestingly enough, NPD is starting to give more data on the game sales from Mat Piscatella twitter.  But I think thats where their improvement is coming from.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

I had no idea PS NOW! was so BIG!. So much bigger than everything else, including it's main competitor, ˣᵇᵒˣ ᵍᵃᵐᵉ ᵖᵃˢˢ. It kinda makes me horny. Not as much as it used to though. I'm pretty down on Sony. It's the next step towards hating everything.

As this is based on revenue, Game Pass will have a larger share when it's out for PC and when all those trials expire (if people keep subscribing that is).

That said, I'm surprised as well to see PS Now doing that good. I've wanted to try the service myself but it still hasn't come to my country -___-

where is xbox live gold? has to be bigger that game pass

COKTOE said:

Game Pass just started this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Loneken said:
where is xbox live gold? has to be bigger that game pass

This only includes the subscription-based gaming services PlayStation Now, Xbox Game Pass, and EA's services (EA Access, Origin Access, and Origin Access Premier).

PlayStation Plus isn't included either. That would again be far bigger than Xbox Live Gold.

Marketshare of EA services is insane. They only have a very limited amount of games to offer, the monthly fee is much lower (except for premier) and yet they generate a large amount of revenue.
GamePass will only grow with further additions of new games at launch. (just imagine Gears 5 or Halo Infinite). Also the PC release even though I think that it won't have that much impact. Unless they turn it into a streaming service on PC.