By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Midterm Elections 2018- Dems take the House, GOP Keeps the Senate.

Who did you vote for?

GOP Rep and GOP Senator 20 30.77%

Democrat Rep and Democrat Senator 38 58.46%

GOP Rep and Democrat Senator 0 0%

Democrat Rep and GOP Senator 4 6.15%

Third Party/Other 3 4.62%

Total:65
Snoopy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, the night didn't go quite as well for team red as I hoped, but could have been worse. Looking like we gained a few seats in the senate. Would have been nice to take the house as well, or at least have a smaller gap in the house, but it is what it is. I'm glad my district went 60/40 in favor of the GOP candidate.

Don't worry, Trump has the supreme court and he can just do executive orders. Also, we now have the ability to blame Democrats if anything goes wrong.

I was just thinking about this. Trump now essentially has a scapegoat with the Dems controlling the house.

"Things not going well? No progress being made? It's the Dems' fault!"

And if I know the Dems like I think I do, they will spend their time w/ House majority coming up with more Russian conspiracy theories, investigations into Trump, and trying to obstruct what he does, which will only work to create a voter backlash against them come 2020.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
Proxy-Pie said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Well it should surprise you that America is in fact a Republic, and not a democracy, also the whole point of having two houses in the legislature was so that smaller states would feel more equally represented than just having one house based off population, in which small states would have almost no voice whatsoever.

Is that what you guys say to justify things like California having as many senators as Wyoming, when the former has a population that's bigger by over 60 times? Why is a Californian's vote worth 1/60th of a Wyomingian's?

That is where the The House of Representatives, the other house of Congress comes into play. That house is based off population. Both houses serve different means of representation; in the Senate it is guaranteed equal representation for all states, and in the House of Representatives the representation goes off population so bigger states have much greater representation in that house.

DarthMetalliCube said:

I was just thinking about this. Trump now essentially has a scapegoat with the Dems controlling the house.

"Things not going well? No progress being made? It's the Dems' fault!"

And if I know the Dems like I think I do, they will spend their time w/ House majority coming up with more Russian conspiracy theories, investigations into Trump, and trying to obstruct what he does, which will only work to create a voter backlash against them come 2020.

I agree with this. This is a hollow victory for the Democrats, and I don't think it will really help their chances in 2020, especially with Pelosi possibly becoming the Speaker of the House again.

shikamaru317 said:
palou said:

I mean, there were more than 10 midterms since 1946... there's 8 bellow that that aren't displayed. 

I see Carter, Kennedy, and Bush Sr. are missing as far as first midterms go. Wonder how they compare?

Not sure, but above is the worst results. As in the most seats lost. Not every President's party lost seats. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
JWeinCom said:

Eh... if you think a swing of about 30 seats, and likely five or so governorships, is not a big deal, then you probably don't follow politics that closely.  It's kind of a big deal.  People are generally too set in their political parties for any sort of massive change.  Nobody expected Democrats to take like 50 seats cause that just doesn't happen.  Senate losses were expected simply because more democrats were up for reelection.  |

It's not quite the slam dunk that people would have hoped for (democratic people at least) but if you think this result is sweet for republicans, you're deluding yourself.  

Republicans took over 60 seats in the House in 2010. That does happen when the new President is unpopular. It was an ok night for Democrats, but definitely not a big win. Feels like a pretty standard result.

Here, found this:

Midterm Election, Most House Seats Lost by President's Party in Power 

2010 Obama: -63 
1994 Clinton: -52 
1958: Eisenhower: -48 
1974 Ford (Nixon): -48 
1966 Johnson: -47 
1946 Truman: -45
2018 Trump: -34
2006 Bush: -30 
1950 Truman: -29 
1982 Reagan: -26 

*NY Times data since 1946

Yeah.  Already acknowledged that my word choice was poor on that one.  Nevertheless this is a way above average swing.  7th biggest in about 70 years of data. It's a really solid win.  

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Funny how despite all the pushing and hatred towards Trump, democrats barely took the house and still lost the senate. Half the country is perfectly fine with Trump. The rest are just missinformed radicals trying to destroy the good thing Trumo has going for us. Congrats, you all gained nothing and Republicans gained nothing. Trump will do what he wants either way.

Actually, Trump has only been able to do a fraction of the things he pledged and that was with a Congress that should have been completely on his side.  Of course, some of what he said he would do, he actually didn't have the power to do as President, so I don't even know how those would be rated.  Other promises just weren't going to happen at all but they helped him get elected, so I guess his backers are okay with those ... embellishments, shall we say.

What happens if he has less control over Congress from this point forward?  The great majority of Trump's campaign promises are rated as "stalled" or "in the works".  

Democratic congressional candidates got about nine million more votes. Yes, that is how well the republican gerrymandering works. You can get more votes, and stil lose.

Senate popular vote:
Democrats: 40,558,262 (55.4%)
Republicans: 31,490,026 votes (43.0%)
Senate seats: Republicans +3

the Senate DOESN’T represent the will of the people.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Democratic congressional candidates got about nine million more votes. Yes, that is how well the republican gerrymandering works. You can get more votes, and stil lose.

Senate popular vote:

Popular vote is like winning second place in a beauty contest. It's not really something to go by overall.  No side,left or right should use excuses for their losses. Both parties should own up to their individual failures,learn from it and come back 2020(House/Presidency) and use that to make them better as a whole. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

deskpro2k3 said:

Senate popular vote:

Democrats won more houses in the senate though.

Republicans won 11 seats and Democrats won 19(21 if you include bernie sanders and Argus King).

Republicans just won what they needed to maintain the Senate.

Also btw gerrymandering does not affect Senate races.

PwerlvlAmy said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Senate popular vote:

Popular vote is like winning second place in a beauty contest. It's not really something to go by overall.  No side,left or right should use excuses for their losses. Both parties should own up to their individual failures,learn from it and come back 2020(House/Presidency) and use that to make them better as a whole. 

Yeah and while we're learning about failers, let's pretend voter suppression is a thing that only happens in fairytale stores. /S

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 07 November 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5